PDA

View Full Version : Any real remedies for night terrors in adults?

cdlamis
03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
My poor DH... He suffers from horrible night terrors. Last night was one of the worst. He practically attacked me trying to get over me and then threw himself over the bed which resulted in a huge gash in his leg. :((
I fear that he will really hurt himself or me OR die an early death from the strain of these almost nightly terrorS.
Despite a long google search, I can't find any medicinal remedies (prefer holistic). Any ideas??
He has tried modifying diet, doing a sleep study (nothing documented), etc.Nothing has worked.
TIA!

rlu
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Can't help but have bookmarked this thread and sympathize as DS suffers these as well (although he hasn't progressed to sleepwalking yet). I thought there was "medicine" an adult could take, although I can't point to source now or if the "medicine" was very effective.

hillview
03-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Humm. Well therapy for getting to the underlying issue could help. I found that doing some self talk works well ... basically I'd try to remember the dream (for me it was recurring) and then imagine an alternative outcome and do this often especially before I went to sleep for the night. I'd work to control my dreams basically. Eventually they stopped, not sure if it was the self talk or just time. I hear hypnosis can also work.

That sucks and I hope you find an answer!

ETA it looks like they are tied to overtiredness as well. Looks like I had a recurring NIGHTMARE vs night terror. Seems like a night terror you don't remember well.

ETA x2 I saw this and while I have NO idea if it is legit it seems thoughtful. St John's Wort is homeopathic I think.
http://www.nightterrors.org/med.htm
/hillary

niccig
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Therapy to see if there's something causing them?

My Dad has night terrors but it's related to service in Vietnam War. He has PTSD. It's something addressed with his psychologist.

Corie
03-07-2011, 06:04 PM
DS is STILL suffering from his daily night terrors. The ONLY time
that he does not have one is when he sleeps with me. But that
means I have to go to bed with him at 8am because his night terrors
are around 9:15-9:30pm.

On those nights that we go to bed together, he is totally fine!

I have no idea what to do!! I'm thinking I need to call the
pediatrician again. I think she said our next step was to do a sleep
study?

deborah_r
03-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Does he take any medication? I ask because for a time I used to get up walking around and cry/scream/panic and realized it was the Claritin-D I was taking.

Has he always had this?

cdlamis
03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately he has always suffered from these night terrors (since childhood) so it's not related to new medicine, food, etc.
He is such a laid back person during the day! It's so weird that he evolves to such an anxious sleeper. I really feel for him. :(

lmr1101
03-08-2011, 12:01 PM
I would try therapy. I don't remember all of the technical terms now, since this was a few years ago, but there is something in some people's brains that jsut stop them from processing certain thoughts normally. There is a technique that therapists can do to move the thoughts to a "different" part of the brain so they are processed differently at night.
(Seriously, I know this sounds crazy but I can tell you that it does work -- it has been used often for PTSD)

Good luck.

chlobo
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
I've found that my kids night terrors seems to be related to food sensitivities. Eat a food they are sensitive to and have a night terror.

He might want to try an elimination diet. Does he have any other issues? Rashes? Digestive? etc.