PDA

View Full Version : My anti-bitch--How the flu saved me!

bisous
03-07-2011, 05:43 PM
I have wanted to share this with someone for awhile. Not too long ago, I posted in the bitching post. I think the title was something like, "is being a grown-up just always hard?" or something like that.

I felt really, really down. I was 8 weeks pg, overworked and had huge expectations for myself. I wasn't sleeping enough, too busy, too stressed you got it. I was hugely concerned that I was failing as a mother, a wife, a housekeeper, a friend. I just had a lot on my plate and everything was suffering.

Then I got the flu. I was sick as a dog for three weeks and it was pretty miserable (another bitching post if I recall!). It was amazing what obligations no longer became important (in my life, I realize not everyone has this luxury). I had to cancel stressful classes for my kids, I had to pushback on the job I'd been trying to leave for five months, I let the house go, I was a "bad friend", homeschooling took a hiatus and I couldn't really do anything about it.

Then one day, I woke up and saw the sun shining through the window and I felt more peace than I had for a very long time. I realized that the rest I had been obliged to get while I was so sick, together with the major scaling back of expectations gave me a reprise from the mental state that I'm sure was depression or anxiety.

I'm normally a happy person. But at least three times in my life, I've suffered from anxiety/depression episodes. I feel like a totally different person. I have so much new found respect for people who deal with these issues. In my instance, my circumstances were improved in each instance by getting more rest and being kinder to myself. I can totally see how other interventions might be necessary in other circumstances and I respect those who take care of themselves.

I just wanted to say that the world is a beautiful place--even for grown-ups and I am so thankful for the flu that gave that perspective back to me. I hope everyone who is having a hard time right now will find a way back to their happy place. :)

hillview
03-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Wahoo excellent!
/hillary:bouncy::bouncy:

rlu
03-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you for reminding us.

JTsMom
03-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Awesome! :)

plusbellelavie
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I just wanted to say that the world is a beautiful place--even for grown-ups and I am so thankful for the flu that gave that perspective back to me. I hope everyone who is having a hard time right now will find a way back to their happy place. :)

Totally Agree!:jammin:

Gracemom
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
What a great reflection. Thanks for sharing!

goldenpig
03-07-2011, 07:22 PM
:cheerleader1: Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are feeling better both physically and mentally.

WatchingThemGrow
03-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Good for you! I'm going to share this with someone I know experiencing the same thing, minus the flu part.

BabyMine
03-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Sometimes we need something to happen for us to realize what truly matters. I am so glad you are at peace again.

blue
03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Then one day, I woke up and saw the sun shining through the window and I felt more peace than I had for a very long time.

Its a great feeling isn't it. It s*cks to have to get so low sometimes, BUT the feeling when you "wake up" is wonderful...I am glad you are doing better, and thanks for sharing! :)

Mamma2004
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm so sorry for your troubles, but I am so HAPPY that you have found peace. You're in such a great place, and I admire your sharing. Thank you!

DrSally
03-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Wow, what a great perspective!

Uno-Mom
03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
That's awesome.

Pregnancy did something similar to me. I was forced to admit tiredness, weakness sometimes, and accept help. It made me slow down and get off my own back for a change.

Thanks for the reminder. Earlier this evening I was feeling stressed to the point of tears and I really needed the reminder!