PDA

View Full Version : How to keep toddler occupied at OB office

ExcitedMamma
03-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Experienced Mamas please help. For most of my OB appts I will be bringing my 14 mo old with me. I am a baby wearing Mama when we are out and about which obviously won't work at appts so I'm worrying about how he'll be in a stroller. I have Baby Jogger City Elite that we take out for our morning walk around the neighborhood and he's great in it but he also sleeps in it and it's so big that I'm not sure it would work for most doctor's offices. I was thinking of getting an umbrella stroller for him but they don't seem to come with snack trays and of course he drops everything. I cant imagine that he would last long without dropping a toy or food so I'm not sure what to do. First appt is in two weeks so I really need ideas. Thanks!

edurnemk
03-07-2011, 09:49 PM
BTDT. I strapped him into the umbrella stroller and gave him a lollipop. I don't give him candy frequently, especially when he was younger, but sometimes you do what you have to do. It worked like a charm, there was no way my kid would drop a lollipop ;) . You could try giving him some sort of snack that he loves, and is like a special treat and attach the snack cup to the stroller fram or bumper bar with one of those tethers, if you don't wan to give him candy.

AshleyAnn
03-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Umbrella stroller plus lots of toys and snacks in a 'snacking cup' (munchkin makes an awesome bowl with an antispill lid). For the most part just playing with him and talking to him will work. Most of my visits were lots of waiting and a few minutes with the OB.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-07-2011, 09:57 PM
honestly, i would ask a friend to come with you to your OB appts and hold/watch your DS while you are at the appt. my DS is also 14mos and there is NO WAY i could deal with him alone at all my OB appts, especially at the longer appointments when they have to do ultrasounds, glucose test or internal exams etc. The quick ones (where they just test your pee, take your bp, and listen to the HB), sure no problem. But the longer ones and take a long time and DS gets kinda freaked out at all the machines etc and gets super antsy after sitting for a while. At my OB today DH had to take DS out to the hallway to run around, there was just no way he would sit still. But maybe my kid is just active. :)

I would say if you absolutely have to go alone, i'd definitely bring an umbrella stroller (a BJCE inside the exam room would be waaay too big) , and bring lots of snacks. i agree on the Munchkin snack cup thingy..they sell them at Target & BRU. it has handles on the sides and you can attach those plastic links to them, and that way you can attach it to the umbrella stroller if you are worried about him dropping it.

scrooks
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I did the lollipop/ stroller thing with DD when I had ob appointments for DS. It was the only thing that worked.

WatchingThemGrow
03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I say trade babysitting with a friend.

wellyes
03-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Ipod touch worked wonders for me.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Ipod touch worked wonders for me.

oh yeah, forgot about this, this is a great idea...my DS is just now getting old enough to play some of the kid apps on his own and they are great on keeping him entertained. though i would HIGHLY recommend getting an Otterbox Defender case (or something similar) for your itouch/iphone before letting a toddler handle it. I mistakenly let my DS play with my itouch last week while waiting at Costco, and he dropped it and the screen cracked. apparently iphones/itouches are really easy to damage if not in some sort of protective case. i ordered an otterbox case the next day, and now i dont' worry about it before letting DS play with it :)

Kitten007
03-08-2011, 03:25 AM
When alone I take an umbrella stroller (Cybex Callisto that I love) for DS2 and have DS1 walk with me. It actually goes pretty good at the quick appointments. I normally don't bring any snacks or toys and the boys have done fantastic. I normally just ask them to tell me what they see in the doc's office and they are so interested in the new environment, they actually behave. At the longer appointments for US and such I always have DH come and help me with the boys. They have come to ever single appointment I have had for baby #3. Don't stress out too much. You'll be surprised how easy it is.

Motley16
03-08-2011, 09:11 AM
I am having some success using the Ipad. I have downloaded some videos and let DD watch while waiting. So far so good.

okinawama
03-08-2011, 09:56 AM
unfortunately, I can't get a friend to help me out with every appointment, especially towards the end and the appointments are so frequent, so I too have had to bring my toddler to appointments many times.

I usually let him out of the stroller while in the waiting room, and then when back during the appointment I strap him into our stroller, set the DVD player up and hand him a snack. So far, it works pretty well.

I also think that part of our success is due to the fact that I've asked for a pretty hands off midwife, and she doesn't measure me, do internal exams or peeing in a cup (unless other reasons warrant it), so really all she does is listen to the heartbeat and go over any questions I may have. We're usually in and out within 10 minutes.

janine
03-08-2011, 12:09 PM
DVD player and you can always ask one of the nurses/staff to keep an eye. I've seen this done with newborns (well not the DVD part).

MacMacMoo
03-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I got pregnant with DS2 when DS1 was 9 months old. DH was able to come to one or two appointments, but most of them was just me and SqueekMoo. We had a Peg Perego p3, which had a cup holder/snack tray and it was just the right size for the little rooms. I'd let him play in the waiting room, and strap him in the stroller during the appointment. I'd give him an assortment of toys and tether them to the stroller with the baby links or the sippy cup minders. I'd sit next to him reading a few of his books before the doc came in, but he was on his own once the doc was in.

cono0507
03-08-2011, 12:49 PM
I often had my mom watch DS when I had OB appointments or else he was strapped in the stroller with plenty of snacks and books. Near the end of my pregnancy, my OB office started offering free babysitting during appointments. Such a great idea!

jerigirl
03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
DVD player and you can always ask one of the nurses/staff to keep an eye. I've seen this done with newborns (well not the DVD part).

I second the DVD player. I did this for my OB appts for DS2 (when I had ds1 with me). I went weekly thru my whole pregnancy.

sewarsh
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
just bring your kid, strap them in a stroller and give them lots of snacks/lollipops/books. that's what i always did.

ExcitedMamma
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Thank you so much everyone! I think he's too young for candy, isn't a choking hazard at his age? We don't have a portable DVD player but I'll go and find those tethers and see if that keeps him from dropping his snacks and getting mad. I feel so much better hearing from Moms who have BTDT with no problems!

logan's mom
03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
I strap my 18 month old in the stroller. I take his favorite books and read with him in the waiting room. I try to get the first appointment in the morning. He loves the applesauce that comes in the little squeeze pouches so once we are in with the doctor I give him one of those. I have another pregnant friend that I can trade off with but I am trying to save those favors until we get into more frequent visits!