PDA

View Full Version : It's been six hours, why isn't the fake Elmers drying?

Fairy
03-07-2011, 11:28 PM
DS had a project to collage stuff onto a cover weight paper shamrock. Easy enough. we got creative and pounded out some green crayons and added some beads I'll never use to it. We doused the thing with fake Elmers, not sure which brand, but it's "school glue." White, smells right. Granted, it was really wet, but I evenly spread it around, we put the mashed up crayons and strategically placed beads on, then I drizzled some add'l glue on, and here we are six hours later, and that puppy is still wet. Moist on the bottom, too. I just moved it to my toaster oven's removeable rack thingie on the counter, maybe it just needs air? But six hours?! Most of that glue is still milky white and tacky. What did I do wrong?

It's due tomorrow, so it has 10 more hours to dry. What's my alternative, hair drier?

craftysierra
03-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Hope it dries, but my daughters preschool birthday crown with "dots" of glitter glue took days to dry. Her dots were about the size of medium beans for a size comparison. I was suprised at how long it took to dry. Can ou use a gentle fan to move air around?

Sierra

Fairy
03-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Days?! Ugh. Ok, What about putting it outside? It's freezing, tho. Maybe a hairdrier.

kristenk
03-08-2011, 01:06 PM
What ended up happening, Fairy? Hair dryer?

DD's project for the 100th day of school took well over a day to dry. I was amazed.

Fairy
03-08-2011, 01:09 PM
I set it on the rack that goes on the toaster oven tray, I thought maybe if I just am able to get some air under it. That worked as far as drying the truly wet stuff, but it wasn't 100%. It was good enough, but the crayons didn't say on perfectly, so I sent it in some tin foil. If it was still wet this morning, I was just gonna tell the teacher that it didn't dry in time. In think in the future we have to start this earlier!