PDA

View Full Version : I can no longer read the news...

TxCat
03-07-2011, 11:49 PM
It's not like the terrible things in the local news didn't upset me before, but since having DD 5 months ago, it feels like 100x worse. All the child abuse, parents killing their own children... I can't deal with it. I just stare at my daughter while she is sleeping and want to squeeze her so tight, and keep her in a bubble away from all the evil in the world. My DH tries to point out that it's usually the bad things that become newsworthy in this day and age - you don't read stories about happy people and families. But still - I just don't get how there is so much evil out there, even just in the city I live in. It makes me physically ill now.

Similarly, I get so upset now when I'm out in public and see people being especially harsh with their children. I was leaving work yesterday, and this woman was yanking her ~ 2-yr. old out of the arms of her ~8 or 9 yr. old daughter, and just yanking him all around really aggressively, and I could hear daughter say "Stop Mama! You're pulling his arm." I feel so guilty, that some children just never even seem to get a chance in this world from the very beginning, and here I am obsessing over homemade baby food, and how little I get to see DD when I come home from work.

Sorry for being a downer, but I just had to get that stuff off my chest...

BabyMine
03-08-2011, 12:33 AM
:hug: It is very hard to learn about the suffering that children endure on a daily basis. I have read so many horrible stories but I also read the good. Take a break at times so you don't get overwhelmed.

Katigre
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
((((((((hugs))))))) Most moms of young children that I know have a similar reaction - it's normal and I think it reflects how intensely we love our children and don't want any vulnerable person to suffer.

Uno-Mom
03-08-2011, 01:12 AM
I know what you mean. DH and I work with kids living in behavioral group homes - many of them have gone through some horrible stuff. I'm not sure I do anything differently now that I'm a parent myself, but my heart feels different in some ways towards these kids.

There have been several times when I've cried while reading a kid's intake packet (historical documentation). That never happened to me before. I shake it off because I have to. But I know what you mean.

It is true, though, that these things are rare. I tell myself that most of the rough parenting I see at the store or whatever is just a one-off incident for that family. I'm sure it is, most of the time.

kijip
03-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Word up.

I can't do the violent tv and movies anymore either. Makes me want to vomit.

And because domestic political news these days makes me want to scream, and I am media fried from doing pr and press work for work... I find myself listening to a lot of music and getting my news from limited newspaper sections and my twitter feed. This from news and politics junkie until fairly recently. I realized that I am one of those unhealthy people who has a fairly severe physiological and sometimes irrational reaction to political news. This may end any political plans I once harbored. Oh well, leaves more time for roller derby and reading and tickling babies.

kbud
03-08-2011, 01:14 AM
I remember feeling that way shortly after my first child was born 7 years ago. I had actually forgotten about it. It's totally normal.

As I've progressed through my mom years so far though I've learned for the most part not to assume things. For example, maybe that mom was having a bad day and believe me 2 year olds can really be difficult. If people have seen me at my worst w/my children I hate to think what they thought. In time, I've actually understood how some of those "terrible" things can occur. Don't get me wrong at all....it's not acceptable but I so understand how as a parent you can be at your whits end and snap. I'm fortunate to have a loving and supportive husband who lets me have a break and steps in when I'm about to break but what about those moms who don't.

Anyhow, I just can totally relate to your post and reading it took my though my 7 years of parent-hood and how my perspectives have changed.