PDA

View Full Version : My Pliko P3 isn't what I expected...

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I just bought a used 2008 Pliko P3 in Green Bubbles pattern from CL. The good news is my 19mo son loves the stroller, especially the snack tray, the steering is great for his 30lbs, and the seat sits high off the ground. The bad news is he seems to overpower the seat. The seat isn't as wide and tall as I expected and I don't like how his legs just hang. Those thick wings on the side of the seat take up space. I LOVE the stroller, but once again, my son's size dictates what I can use. My strollers have a short life with me, I have to retire them too soon.

Originally, I was searching for a replacement for my Mutsy 4rider light, which I still love, but he's too tall for the seat now, he is in the 95 percentile for height. The P3 is his first stroller with a snack tray, and since he loves being able to sit his bottle on it like a big boy, I'm now searching for a mid/lightweight stroller with a snack tray or a bumper bar I can attach one too. I have a Callisto I'll probably sell if I can find a replacement. I do like the Callisto's roomy seat, I just want a seat that sits higher off the ground because I still pick him up out of the seat, and it's less of a strain if I don't have to bend too low.

Anyone own a stroller, that you would recommend for a tall toddler, that has:
-tall AND wide seat back
-bumper bar or snack tray - i like the Pluto but I can't find a bumper bar online that's in the US.
-hood with good sun coverage
-seat a good height off ground
-seat sits upright
-no more than 20lbs maybe

I'm not big on the jogging strollers, but I do like the easywalker QTRO. Would you recommend this one? I've checked out the 2010 and 2011 rollouts, but since I can't test most strollers in person, i'm lost. Helllp, please?

Kaylee31
03-08-2011, 11:10 AM
What about the BJCM - Baby Jogger City Mini? It meets all your criteria, although the seat isn't very high off the ground, it's average.

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Is the seat more upright for 2011? I thought I read comments wishing the seat sat more upright. I can actually test that one at a local store. Thanks

legaleagle
03-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I have a qtro and a callisto and my kids are also huge :) The qtro is very nice but it's 28lbs so not at all lightweight. It doesn't bother me but I have a double so it's small compared to that. I wouldn't necessarily rush to get rid of the callisto. See if you can help your DS learn to climb in and out of your current strollers by himself while holding your hand. If he can't do it now he'll probably be able to in a month or two. My 2 are 21 months apart so I pretty much had to stop carrying my older at that point and I was somewhat surprised how quickly he learned to climb considered he's not very physically adept in general (and still isn't at 2.5).

roseyloxs
03-08-2011, 12:39 PM
I don't know if they updated the P3's but strollerqueen's review (http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/peg-perego-pliko-p3-compact-review.html#uds-search-results) says it has a 20.5" seatback which is above average. The canopy clearance is 24" which is just slightly less then average on most AT strollers which seem to go from 25 to 27".

Strollerqueen (http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2009/10/sea-qtro.html) reviewed the QTRO as well. According to her measurements the seat is 1" higher then the P3. The seatback is actually an inch shorter at 19" but the canopy clearance is much higher at 27". Also the seat is 2" wider on the QTRO. There is an adjustable footrest too so no more dangling legs.

Oooh.. I think I found one searching the reviews. How about the Britax B-scene (http://strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com/2011/01/britax-b-scene-review.html) and bonus its reversible! The seat is 23" from the ground thats 4" higher then the P3. The seat is 12" wide and 21.5" tall with a canopy clearance of 26". Has an adjustable footrest too. If you are thinking of a second you may want to think about the B-Ready since its the same seat with a bigger frame that can accept a second seat.

http://images.eimprovement.com/mgen/merchandizer:britax/Britax-B-Scene-Black-U291779.jpg?is=310,310,0xffffff&cvt=jpg

Baby Gizmo has a video review (http://www.babygizmo.com/media/video_britaxbscene2010.php) too.

MamaBear
03-08-2011, 12:57 PM
My eldest is 95-97th percentile, and has room to spare in my Bee+. He's almost 4.5 years, and now about 108 cm tall. I bought a bumper bar while in Europe.

roseyloxs
03-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Oh yea.. meant to say it comes with the bumper bar so you can buy a third party snack tray that attaches to that or buy the britax cup holders.

http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/parts-accessories/large/S839600-181.jpg

I think the cupholders look cute and they won't get in the way of getting kids in and out.

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I have a qtro and a callisto and my kids are also huge :) The qtro is very nice but it's 28lbs so not at all lightweight. It doesn't bother me but I have a double so it's small compared to that. I wouldn't necessarily rush to get rid of the callisto. See if you can help your DS learn to climb in and out of your current strollers by himself while holding your hand. If he can't do it now he'll probably be able to in a month or two. My 2 are 21 months apart so I pretty much had to stop carrying my older at that point and I was somewhat surprised how quickly he learned to climb considered he's not very physically adept in general (and still isn't at 2.5).

Ok, not sure HOW I missed the 28lbs for the qtro lol I'm not sure if I want to go that heavy again. Thanks for the advice, we'll start practicing climbing into the stroller tonight. :)

I still need another stroller. I switch between keeping one at home and one at gmom's house.

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
I really like those cupholders on the B-scene! That's different. Funny I just noticed the stroller on babyviva. I'm not sure, but I think the P3 is 12" wide too, I need to measure it. I won't need a stroller with a second seat though... My 19mo old is the grand finale and my other 2 sons are in grade school. :)

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check out the baby gizmo review.

I really like the bee plus, but it's out of my price range right now... unless I can find a nice used one.

These are great suggestions, thanks so much.

roseyloxs
03-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I really like those cupholders on the B-scene! That's different. Funny I just noticed the stroller on babyviva. I'm not sure, but I think the P3 is 12" wide too, I need to measure it. I won't need a stroller with a second seat though... My 19mo old is the grand finale and my other 2 sons are in grade school. :)

Thanks for the links, I'm going to check out the baby gizmo review.

I really like the bee plus, but it's out of my price range right now... unless I can find a nice used one.

These are great suggestions, thanks so much.

If the qtro is too heavy then the b-scene will be too.

KHF
03-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I have the exact stroller you do...same year, same pattern. My DS is in the 90-95% at most of his checks, and he's about 6 months older than your DC. I can't say what might work better, because DS adores the P3 and has plenty of room in it. I can tell you to steer clear of Maclarens though. I just sold an Maclaren Albert Thurston Ryder for the exact reasons that you don't like the P3. The seat is very narrow, and DS never liked it. He has plenty of room in our Baby Jogger Classic and the BJ City Elite Double that we have.

Frankly, if you hadn't said the stroller you already had, I would suggest the P3! DS loves the floating harness, and I won't get a new P3 because they discontinued that feature.

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I have the exact stroller you do...same year, same pattern. My DS is in the 90-95% at most of his checks, and he's about 6 months older than your DC. I can't say what might work better, because DS adores the P3 and has plenty of room in it. I can tell you to steer clear of Maclarens though. I just sold an Maclaren Albert Thurston Ryder for the exact reasons that you don't like the P3. The seat is very narrow, and DS never liked it. He has plenty of room in our Baby Jogger Classic and the BJ City Elite Double that we have.

Frankly, if you hadn't said the stroller you already had, I would suggest the P3! DS loves the floating harness, and I won't get a new P3 because they discontinued that feature.

Thanks! You just confirmed my doubts about Macs! I'm going to go to BRU and check out the BJ mini. I know I can try that one out in person.

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 04:44 PM
If the qtro is too heavy then the b-scene will be too.

I saw that in the review. I'm easily swayed though. If I find something I really like, I may have to compromise on the weight.

spannaz
03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks! You just confirmed my doubts about Macs! I'm going to go to BRU and check out the BJ mini. I know I can try that one out in person.

Someone in another recent thread just posted that there is a 20% off coupon available for BRU right now... not sure if it excludes Baby Jogger though... HTH!

Malvernmom
03-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Thanks... I need to check my email to see if I have the coupon.