PDA

View Full Version : Hynobabies self study or Bradley method

Myira
03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
I am just starting to read about these and am not able to make up my mind. Should I go ahead and shell out the 150 for the self study hynobabies course or would it benefit me more to look into a bradley class in my area?

DH travels for work 4 days a week so its not going to be easy for me making it to an actual class. Any advice, experience or opinion you share about these 2 methods would help.

TIA.

KLD313
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I did the Hypnobabies self study class. You can sell it when you're and recoup some of your money. I haven't done that yet but plan to soon. I liked it, it kept me calm throughout my pregnancy and helped me sleep. When I went into labor it all went to hell though because everything that could go wrong went wrong and I really didn't use it. However, had things gone normally I think it would've been helpful.

bostonsmama
03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
I would take a Bradley class, even if your DH can't come. I enjoyed my natural birth class the best. I read Husband-Coached Childbirth, but it really didn't make any sense until I was in a class. My instructor (who I inevitably hired as my doula) studied under Dr. Bradley himself in the 70s, only she didn't the the thousand-some dollars it took to get officially certified, but she's been doing it for 40-some years. Anyways, I couldn't have had a natural birth without all the awesome things I learned in the Bradley Method. It was a great birth experience! I had 14hrs of early labor where I got on my ball, all 4s (DD was posterior), drank my RRL tea, and did pelvis openers. I didn't go to the hospital until ctx were 3min apart. Once I got there, I had DD in 4hrs after 35 min of pushing! I didn't have a single rip or tear b/c we followed the advice to have hot compresses and oil poured over the perineum as she crowned. I can't recommend it enough!

BTW, I've done hypnobabies for a painful experience before, and it really helped, but I can't imagine using it to push a baby out since that required a lot of focus/concentration for me, while the self hypnosis kinda allowed me to zone out, so to speak. In a hospital setting where doctors and nurses and anesthesiology are constantly coming to talk to you, ask you questions and check on you, it's really hard to maintain that sense of zen and calm--and I didn't even do hypnobabies for delivery.

brittone2
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I used an in person Hypnobirthing class when I was pg with DS1 (Mongan method). With DD I did a self study Hypnobabies supplementary course (for those who had previously done a Mongan Hypnobirthing class) as well as my Hypnobirthing materials. Used both again for DS2.

I also read/studied up on active birth positions (hands and knees, tailor sitting, sitting and rocking on a ball, swaying, etc.) and used those along with hypnosis.

I had very easy labors and deliveries. With ds1 I'd say I had "cramping" and it was very doable. With DD I wasn't even sure I was in active labor and showed up to the birth center 10 cm dilated (with no idea I was that far), and my labor with DS2 was a bit more intense but I was making food for my midwives (homebirth), etc. in labor to keep myself busy.

I am a-ok as long as I can move. With DS1 I had intermittent EFM and that was the really the only time I was very uncomfy. My doula advocated for me and got the nurse to hook me up so I could be on hands and knees, etc. With my 2nd and 3rd baby, I had intermittent doppler checks, no EFM.

DS1 was born in a hospital, DD in a FSBC, and DS2 was a homebirth. I used hypnosis techniques for all 3 settings and was able to maintain my focus.

ExcitedMamma
03-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Strongly recommend Hypnobabies. I started out my pregnancy with my son absolutely sure I wanted an epidural and drugs but then I started reading up on everything and was convinced to go natural after all of my research. I'm a skeptic by nature so I really didn't think it would work for me, and my DH thought it was a waste of money. I followed the program but not too seriously. Every time I listened I fell asleep so I had great naps but I was not sure it was doing anything until I went into labor!

I went into labor around 9 pm and my son was born at 9:57 AM so it was a very short labor for a first baby. I had read so much about first labors taking so long that I wanted to stay at home as long as possible. Everything was great at home. I did the exercises and sat in the tub until my DH started to get more and more freaked about getting to the hospital because my contractions were so strong and close together. I was still following the program and listening to it on my iPod when we checked in at the hospital. The nurse was shocked at how far along I was when she finally checked me since I was so quiet. Then everything went down hill. The guy who took my blood messed up and ended up jabbing both arms badly and I never really got my focus back after that. I also had really bad back labor. I made it to 8 cm and transition drug free before I started screaming for drugs. I know transition brings that out but I was really disappointed afterwards.

I would never have made it that far without Hypnobabies. I intend to follow the program better this time around so hopefully I can go drug free this time. From everything I read the longer you wait for drugs the better to avoid labor failing to progress and leading to a C section so I know it's a great tool to have no matter what. My DH never read about being a labor partner so he didn't help when I lost it during transition so I highly recommend you get your partner prepared. My DH said he would read and it would be fine but he didn't.

I also don't know how much the size of the baby affects your focus. My pediatrician was shocked that I didn't have a C section with my son since his head was in the 90 th % and he was 9.4 lbs and 21 1/2 in. So he was a big baby. Without Hypnobabies I really wonder if I would have had a C section because I would hav never tolerated the pain otherwise.

Sorry so long but I remember being so torn about spending the money. Look for a coupon code too if you do decide to do it I think I found one for like ten or fifteen percent off. Also as far as Bradley when I was looking into it I believ the Hypnobaby website said the creator started out as Bradley and created this because Bradley wasn't working for her clients. There is no way positioning would have worked for me. Good luck!

alirebco
03-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I went with Hypnobabies this time around. I didn't have the time for Bradley, especially with my first child around and I know a lot of people who have done both and much preferred Hypnobabies.

I also like that I can do it on my time frame and I personally don't want to have to rely on DH to help me during labor. I tend to focus inward anyway, so I didn't think Bradley would be a good fit.

Bonus - listening to the tracks before bed totally puts me to sleep!!

brittone2
03-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I went with Hypnobabies this time around. I didn't have the time for Bradley, especially with my first child around and I know a lot of people who have done both and much preferred Hypnobabies.

I also like that I can do it on my time frame and I personally don't want to have to rely on DH to help me during labor. I tend to focus inward anyway, so I didn't think Bradley would be a good fit.

Bonus - listening to the tracks before bed totally puts me to sleep!!
Yes, I prefer to practice independently and hypnobabies/hypnobirthing was a good fit for me that way. I could never have DH reading me scripts (some people do Hypnobirthing this way. I much prefer listening to my cds/iPod and could never ever have DH reading it to me!). I definitely like to focus inward. Dh is great in terms of making sure I stay hydrated, etc. but he knows I like to go into my zone...labor land...and he lets me do my thing.

Katigre
03-08-2011, 07:43 PM
I've done both (Bradley classes with DS and Hypnobabies homestudy with DD). I'm glad we had both. Bradley was invaluable for DH, but with my Hypnobabies birth I just handed him a list of things I wanted him to do during labor since he was supportive and trusted me and the process. If you can't attend all the classes, do the homestudy but also read on natural birth boards and such too :).

Melanie
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
I did a HypnoBirthing class with my second and a Bradley-esque class with my first. NO COMPARISON. Do the Hypno-whatever!!

To be short, Bradley was more of "yep, there's pain, here's how I'm going to try to help you deal with it" (which I will note did NOTHING in my particular situation). And Hypnobirthing was "pain isn't necessary...here's how we will help you through labor and a few bonus techniques in case you unusually encounter pain." It was awesome. I couldn't stand the thought of going through labor again after my first was born. Seriously. After my second was born I felt like a million bucks and would have done it again in a heartbeat.

I do not do well with self-study type of situations, so that just depends upon you, I guess. I prefer classes.

Melanie
03-08-2011, 07:48 PM
In a hospital setting where doctors and nurses and anesthesiology are constantly coming to talk to you, ask you questions and check on you, it's really hard to maintain that sense of zen and calm--and I didn't even do hypnobabies for delivery.

That was one thing that the HypnoBirthing classes did really well - teach the partners how to run interference so Mom could do her own thing. Though I do not some people who still had trouble in this regard and opted for a birthing center birth instead. That is what we did, anyway. They tend to be more respectful of the process.

MSWR0319
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
We weren't able to make the Bradley classes, so I read two or three books that the instructor suggested. While I didn't do a lot of the excercises, the breathing and relaxation really helped. I made it through 40 hrs of a posterior child labor with no pain meds and no tears. If I hadnt read the Bradley books, I'm sure I wouldn't have made it med free.

sun
03-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I did the Hypnobabies Home Study, and I believe it helped me so much even though I did opt to have epidural. It was hard for me, too, to stay in the zen while everyone at the hospital wanted to talk to me. I have anxiety disorder and it really helped me in that regard. I also used the books suggested breathing techniques instead of the "purple pushing" my RN recommended. I had 11 hour labor, including 20 min of push time with my 1st. He was also face up and with larger head than most. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Myira
03-16-2011, 12:39 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Reading everyone's experiences helped. I have ordered Hypnobabies Home Study from amazon and excited to start it.