PDA

View Full Version : How do you remember to take the pill?

mikeys_mom
03-08-2011, 02:35 PM
I recently had my Mirena removed and am currently on BCP. Prior to the Mirena, I used BCP between pregnancies. With each subsequent child and life getting busier, I would forget to take a pill more often. We knew we were planning to have more kids, so it wasn't a big deal to me if I got pregnant before my planned time. Right now, we are hoping to avoid any type of Oops! situation.

I have a reminder setup in Outlook for 5:30pm everyday which is typically supper time. The reminder shows up on my blackberry. So far this system is working ok but I feel like it's not foolproof. Any other methods you like?

Oh, I know that clearly BCP is not the best option for me if I am worried about remembering to take it :). My Mirena was moved out of position (very low in the uterus) by a fibroid in my uterus. I could actually feel the plastic part. So, while it was still effective, the dr felt that I should remove it to avoid it falling out and for my own (and DH's) comfort.

I am hoping to have a new Mirena re-inserted but we first need to determine if the fibroid needs to be removed and if he can place the new IUD in a position where it won't be moved by the fibroid. In the meantime I just need to be extra careful with remembering to take the BCP. Eeek!

longtallsally05
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
I used to take it @ 9 pm because I am always awake at that time, no matter what. On nights out I would take it with me in my purse; on nights in I would brush my teeth & take the pill @ 9.

edurnemk
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
When I was on the BCP I made it part of my bedtime routine: i.e. remove makeup, take pill (I kept them on the bathroom counter right beside the toothpaste, if they weren't in sight I'd easily forget), brush teeth, etc. After having DS when I was on the minipill, though, I'd forget frequently, I blamed it on mommy brain and sleep deprivation.

KLD313
03-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Not for the pill but for my prenatals I used to schedule it in my BlackBerry so I would get a reminder, otherwise I couldn't remember.

lizzywednesday
03-09-2011, 11:49 AM
When I was on the pill, I used to get up at the same time every day, even on weekends, so I'd just take it when I got up for the day, which was 6am.

I treated it as if I were taking an antibiotic, something I'm also excessively anal about doing, so I've already got the habit.

If I were to add it back these days, I'd still do it first thing before getting up for the day. I can't remember to do anything late in the day anymore!

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 11:50 AM
When I was on the pill, I used to get up at the same time every day, even on weekends, so I'd just take it when I got up for the day, which was 6am.

:yeahthat:

american_mama
03-12-2011, 02:30 PM
You didn't ask this, but would a less daily form of birth control work for you, like the patch or the Nuvaring? I believe each are changed once a week or less. Although that might be even harder to remember, since there is not the daily routine.

TwoBees
03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
You didn't ask this, but would a less daily form of birth control work for you, like the patch or the Nuvaring? I believe each are changed once a week or less. Although that might be even harder to remember, since there is not the daily routine.

Try the NuvaRing. It stays in place for 3 weeks.

DrSally
03-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I keep it by my toothbrush and take it at night. Mornings are too harried, although if I took it in the morning, I could check it later in the day and wouldn't have a whole night go before I realized it, KWIM? I do check it in the morning, and there have been a few times I've forgotten. I sometimes think Mirena would be a better option for me, but the pill is helping with my acne, and I think the Mirena wouldn't do that and may even aggravate it.

Tondi G
03-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Mine used to be on my bedside table and I would take it when I got into bed.

mikeys_mom
03-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Try the NuvaRing. It stays in place for 3 weeks.

If the Dr determines that he can't insert another Mirena, I will likely go with the NuvaRing. He had mentioned it to me as an option for now, but my cycles have been so messed up, likely because of the fibroid, that I didn't feel like experimenting with something new again. While waiting to see my OB/GYN, my family Dr had me start taking the pill as well, just in case the IUD was not functioning. It was the same BCP I had taken prior to the Mirena and I knew that I responded well to it with no side-effects. Since I was already taking the pill, it seemed easiest to continue with that while I wait for the next test.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Seems like consistency is my best bet. Mornings and evenings are always hectic in my house and I don't trust my kids enough to leave the BCP package near my toothbrush or on my nighttable. My twins are into everything these days. Suppertime seems to be working well for now with the added backup reminder on my BB. It's just so much pressure to remember...