PDA

View Full Version : Where do you take DC to have pictures taken?

star04
03-08-2011, 02:42 PM
I SERIOUSLY need to have some done, maybe even a family portrait. What places have good prices and quality?

brittone2
03-08-2011, 02:49 PM
We've really liked Portrait Innovations and have used two different studios in two different states. I prefer them to Picture People and a local studio I used when DS1 was a baby.

I usually opt for a plain black or white background.

I think so much of it really depends on how good the individual photographer is and how they work with your kids/family though, kwim? You could have a great photographer at Sears or Penneys, Picture People or P.I.

We always get our Christmas cards done at PI because I like their backgrounds. They are usually 3 D (a 3-d real looking fireplace or a real tree, vs. a fake 2-d backdrop).

eta: I found a photographer on CL to do a shoot at our house when DS2 was a few days old. She got some great pics of all the kids and it was fairly affordable. She did the shot we used for birth announcements, etc. so it saved me having to worry about that.

pomegranate
03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
DS is 3 and is very active. Although friends around where I live love Picture People, my DS won't sit still for a portrait. So I've hired photographers to do outdoor photo shoots are pretty parks and playgrounds. We've done this a couple times now and it's worked really well.

liz
03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Target. Easy to book, great prices with coupons and our photographers usually manage to get some great pictures. If I don't like the images that day (because my kids weren't really into taking pictures that day), I just reschedule for another day.

I usually get a white background as well.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2011, 06:39 PM
We had a friend who is trying to launch a photo business do the last ones and they are so good! So much better than any studio shots. But, they were $250. I have been able to walk out of Sears with fine enough pics for $30. Depends on what you want and what you want to spend. I wasn't happy at Portrait Innovations as they worked the hard sale- annoying. The Picture People was fine but both of those 2 seem to have styles they are required to shoot and I always felt those wasted everyone's time. I want to get good pics of the kids, when they are fresh and happy, vs using up their goodness with the shots they want.

Beth

scrooks
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
We've had good luck with Portrait Innovations. But I really think their quality can vary location to location. On the plus side they really take their time with you and you get the pics that day. On the negative side they are ALWAYS running late and they can put some pressure on when you are buying/choosing shots. Overall, I have had much better luck there than Penneys (which takes 2 weeks to get pics back and always offers you extra prints you don't want when you pick them up- hate that!).

dec756
03-08-2011, 07:41 PM
pi ATW!!!