PDA

View Full Version : Best trike for toddlers?

twowhat?
03-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Specifically for average-sized 2.5-year olds? Preferably something we can get from Amazon (Grandma wants to buy them and she likes using Amazon).

I was eyeing this one but it has such oddly mixed reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-Fold-Go-Trike/dp/B0001GBSBI/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1299610455&sr=8-11

And what about helmets?

kcimato
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Don't even bother with a tricycle. Our 2 1/2 yo uses a balance bike and loves it. We bought him the Strider b/c it's the lowest to the ground and he's tiny

check it out at www.stridersports.com

It's sold on Amazon too. It's a balance bike and sometimes called a running bike

edurnemk
03-08-2011, 04:50 PM
I prefer the Kettler trikes, to Radio Flyer, they are less tippy and very well built. Among the many models of Kettlers, look for the lighter ones, even if they have less features, they are easier to pedal and steer.

DS also has a Strider bike, I wish we had gotten it earlier. But he uses both his Kettler trike and the Strider. At 2.5 yo your DD's can definitely handle a balance bike.

twowhat?
03-08-2011, 04:57 PM
I prefer the Kettler trikes, to Radio Flyer, they are less tippy and very well built. Among the many models of Kettlers, look for the lighter ones, even if they have less features, they are easier to pedal and steer.

DS also has a Strider bike, I wish we had gotten it earlier. But he uses both his Kettler trike and the Strider. At 2.5 yo your DD's can definitely handle a balance bike.

Wow, really??? My girls are super klutzy and still have trouble climbing onto the couch and still trip when running...I'll have to look into that...

edurnemk
03-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow, really??? My girls are super klutzy and still have trouble climbing onto the couch and still trip when running...I'll have to look into that...

You'd be amazed. I thought it was going to take DS a while to get the hang of it, but wow! after a couple of days he was whizzing by and lifting his feet of the ground for a few seconds and everything. Go on the strider website and watch the videos of the little one riding it. At first they just "walk" the bike, but it's great for their balance.

BTW, DS still trips occasionally and slams into walls and furniture because he's not looking.

longtallsally05
03-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I wish I had a Kettler for my DS. DD used to ride one at playgroup and she loved it!