PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone a PTO officer? Just asked to be one

Octobermommy
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I was just asked to be an officer of the PTO. I have never even been to a meeting so I don't even know what goes on. We just started at this school. Previously we home schooled.

I already know I don't want to be President but I am considering Vice-President. Any advice? This school is lower socioeconomically. Everyone qualifies for free lunch. We visited a friends very nice school last week and the PTO had $35000 sitting in their account. That won't be the case here. Challenges?

I need to know what I am getting myself in to.

kboyle
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
I have been a pto secretary at ds1's primary and now elementary school for a couple yrs now...will not be doing it again next. It's a lot of drama and politics in our district, but I liked being active in my sons schools. Ds2&3 will both be at the primary school next yr and I plan on being active, but in their CLASSROOMS vs the whole school. I found that many people were eager to place the blame on a lot of things that went wrong on us as officers even if it had nothing to do with pto, such as the district mandate for having peanut-free parties and such.

I enjoyed it and will consider it again next yr if the president decides to run fir a 3rd yr...but I doubt she's up for it, there's LOTS of stupid politics and pettiness round here.

Fwiw, both schools Ive dealt with had about $12,000 give or take depending on how well the big fundraisers went.

clc053103
03-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I think i would be concerned that a new parent to the school who never even attended a meeting is being asked to be an officer. That to me says, nobody else is interested- are meetings poorly attended? I think I would at least wait a year and attend some meetings before making such a committment.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I would probably wait too and see what it's like before committing. I am on the executive committee of my parent organization but not an officer. I didn't wait long before deciding to try and join that group because I like having the ability to really vote on things. I could give my opinion and it was listened to prior to it but only certain people get votes that count. My group is a very rational, non-queen bee, non cliquey group- much different than I have heard about at other schools. It is a pretty easy job. The officers do have to do a good amount more behind the scenes though than me and I don't really desire the extra work. :)

Will the VP automatically become the president at some point?

Beth