PDA

View Full Version : S/O --> How old is your phone?

Fairy
03-08-2011, 03:25 PM
How old is your phone? The other phone poll was very timely for me, as I came across reference to a Treo 750w today, and i was like, whoa, does anyone still even use that?! We replace our phones every couple of years, but my neighbor has a something so dirt old that I don't even know what it is. Got to wondering if phones are like cars, some people have a replacement strategy, some people drive them into the ground.

Ok go.

rlu
03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Drive it into the ground - but I have "just a phone" and don't to that new-fangled fancy stuff.

maestramommy
03-08-2011, 03:37 PM
We have a motorola something. Doesn't do anything except phone calls and text, although our plan is prepaid so it's not worth sending texts. I'm pretty sure it's more than 5 years old because we got it after we got married, but not too long after.

brittone2
03-08-2011, 03:41 PM
DH upgraded me to a phone with full keyboard for Christmas so we could text back and forth more easily when he travels, etc. No smart phone. I don't really have a need and have a touch I can use for home. So umm...yeah, no fancy phone here. I'm happy about a keyboard LOL.

TwinFoxes
03-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to drive them into the ground. Until DH got me my first iPhone. I'm on #3 already! I'm obsessed.

sidmand
03-08-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking the amount of years may be related to the type of phone. For instance, I had an iPhone 3 and would have been fine keeping it for longer but the battery life was awful after just a year. It would have cost almost as much to just get a new battery as it did to get a new phone so I got a new phone.

Before I had a smart phone though I'd run them into the ground. I also barely used them though!

ellies mom
03-08-2011, 03:50 PM
If you had asked before Verizon released their iPhone I would have answered regular phone 2-3 years old but that was because I was holding on to my phone until Verizon got the iPhone. But since you are asking after the release, my answer changes quite a bit.

Usually, we wait a good 2-3 years before replacing our phones. Generally, there has to be something we like a lot better. And generally we both replace them at the same time because the husband normally likes for us to have the same phone (I don't know why) but when the new Droid X came out, he wanted to get one and I didn't like it enough to give up waiting for the iPhone (I have some expensive nursing apps that I don't want to have to rebuy). So, now I have my iPhone and we are both happy as pie.

jess_g
03-08-2011, 03:58 PM
My phone is about a year old. Its a boring old flip style phone. I don't want to pay a big montly bill for something I only use every so often so getting a smart phone does not make sense to me. I am however considering getting an ipad when the ipad2 comes out. I can use that with wifi and not have to pay each month for a data plan.

Jessica.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Dumb phone. About 6m old. I only got a new one because I either lost or broke my other one.

Beth

khm
03-08-2011, 06:43 PM
How old is your phone? The other phone poll was very timely for me, as I came across reference to a Treo 750w today, and i was like, whoa, does anyone still even use that?! We replace our phones every couple of years, but my neighbor has a something so dirt old that I don't even know what it is. Got to wondering if phones are like cars, some people have a replacement strategy, some people drive them into the ground.

Ok go.

My husband broke his Treo 750p (palm platform) just a few months ago. He has HATED any phone he's tried since. Sigh. He says the Treo was "smart enough", that it is a phone first, then the other stuff.

My smart phone is pretty old, but it keeps on chugging. It's over three years old for me, and wasn't a new-to-the-market device when I got it.

It does everything I need though (multiple email accounts checked every minute, texting, web, calendar, can run the internet for my laptop and yeah, calls). We're on sprint, which is sooooo much cheaper than alternatives I've looked into.

AnnieW625
03-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I bought my current cell phone in July, 2005. It's only the second phone I have had since 2002.

LexyLou
03-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I can upgrade every 12 months and I usually do. I have a thing for new phones.