PDA

View Full Version : If you are standing with a group of other moms...

wencit
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
...and you don't know for a fact that all of the moms have been invited to a mutual friend's playdate tomorrow morning, then please don't bring up the playdate while you're standing in the group!

Thanks for making me feel like an outcast today, lady.

:cry:

g-mama
03-08-2011, 04:55 PM
That has happened to me before. Lovely, isn't it? People can be idiots.

liz
03-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Oh, please tell me they invited you? Sorry, that sucks. :hug:

wencit
03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Oh, please tell me they invited you? Nope. I kind of stepped out of the circle and pretended to be REALLY interested in watching DS2 walk around. Since the person hosting the playdate wasn't there, they couldn't have invited me anyway.

Ugh.

arivecchi
03-08-2011, 06:30 PM
So rude. I hope you asked about it and made it clear you were not invited to shame the blabbermouth. :icon_twisted:

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2011, 06:34 PM
:(

I was so miffed when a friend mentioned my b-day putting on FB ("can't wait to see you tonight to celebrate your b-day!") knowing full well (invited were evites) that mutual friends on FB were not invited. I try so hard to be discreet and not hurt feelings since I have been on the receiving end before. Some people are just thoughtless. I'm sorry.

Beth

truly scrumptious
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
:(

I was so miffed when a friend mentioned my b-day putting on FB ("can't wait to see you tonight to celebrate your b-day!") knowing full well (invited were evites) that mutual friends on FB were not invited. I try so hard to be discreet and not hurt feelings since I have been on the receiving end before. Some people are just thoughtless. I'm sorry.

Beth

This is a totally OT rant, but don't even get me STARTED on FB. I can't tell you how much it annoys me when people announce other's people's news on FB before they have a chance to do it themselves. As in, "I'm so happy my sibling/friend is engaged/pregnant/some-other-news-they-aren't-ready-to-publish-to-the-world-yet!"

OP, sorry they were so thoughtless - I can only hope they realized what they had said. Hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow, playdate or not!

AnnieW625
03-08-2011, 07:20 PM
BTDT a few times before and found out about the event after the fact on FB, and had been to the same event the year prior.

edurnemk
03-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I've also found out about events (of close friends sometimes) I'm not invited to through someone's comments or through FB. Why don't people think before opening their mouths/typing on their computers?

Melanie
03-08-2011, 07:53 PM
BTDT. I'm sorry, it sucks. I do the same as you, just let it roll or ignore it. Sometimes I wish I was more of the type to stand up for myself and just flat-out address it.

newbiemom
03-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Yup, BTDT as well, and it really stinks. So sorry you had to hear it. It just seems thoughtless at best, but mostly just really poor manners.

Pennylane
03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
BTDT and it sucks!

Ann

Fairy
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I do not understand why people in that very common situation cannot think big picture. Ugh!

belovedgandp
03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Yup, keep your mouths shut people.

I was literally just looking at an evite that I'm obviously a b-lister in our social circle since others have RSVP 7-10 days ago for a bday outing. Really sucks since we share the exact same birthday.

MamaMolly
03-08-2011, 09:43 PM
BTDT too. It stinks.

MamaSnoo
03-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Yup, BTDT......how 'bout when one of DDs classmates emailed to ask me a question about another classmate's BD party (I guess because I am the room rep)....uuhhhhhh, DD was not invited, and why did not you ask the hosting mom in the first place?!?

gatorsmom
03-09-2011, 01:04 AM
Ugh, that totally sucks. I was in a group of "friends" who started doing that on a regular basis. I got so tired of it I just quit the group. Didn't give any notice either. I felt so much better not being with those people.

mytwosons
03-09-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm sorry. BTDT and it stinks.

But, I'm starting to think people are just cruel and the "slip ups" are not due to stupidity. My son knew not to discuss parties, for this reason, starting in K. If a 5 yr old can do it, adults should be able to.

I've posted photos of my kids' parties on FB, but I have always changed the privacy settings so moms of kids who weren't invited don't see. Actually, I set them so only family and those invited can see the pictures.

hellokitty
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Yeah, that's sucks. It's also happened on facebook posts.

minnie-zb
03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
It stinks. We have that happen frequently -- we are the new family in the neighborhood and our neighbors are always talking about things they are doing in the hood with other neighbors. Our feelings reached a very hurt point last fall and now I'm over it. I figure they will either learn to like us and we will be included or, well, not! But it amazes me how they never think about what they are saying and they are adults! I just smile or try to get involved in something else.

wencit
03-09-2011, 06:48 PM
But, I'm starting to think people are just cruel and the "slip ups" are not due to stupidity.I am starting to wonder this, too, because it happened AGAIN this morning! :irked: I was talking to a mom when another mom came up to us and told her, "Johnny [not his real name] has a fever today, so his play date will be held tomorrow." Does she think I am deaf?!

And here I thought these people were my friends. I'm just so disappointed.

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2011, 07:51 PM
I think I would have been darned tempted to say something when it happened again!! Once, barely benefit of the doubt. 2- they need someone to call them on this crap. :(

Beth

niccig
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I am starting to wonder this, too, because it happened AGAIN this morning! :irked: I was talking to a mom when another mom came up to us and told her, "Johnny [not his real name] has a fever today, so his play date will be held tomorrow." Does she think I am deaf?!

And here I thought these people were my friends. I'm just so disappointed.

Is everyone going to these playdates or just one child. I could totally see me telling one parent that the play date we had organized is cancelled...but I would make it clear that it was a 1:1 playdate not a group event.

Are group playdates just girls or boys or both? I've had this when the girl mothers are just getting together so none of the boy parents know about the group playdate.

wencit
03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Is everyone going to these playdates or just one child. I could totally see me telling one parent that the play date we had organized is cancelled...but I would make it clear that it was a 1:1 playdate not a group event.

Are group playdates just girls or boys or both? I've had this when the girl mothers are just getting together so none of the boy parents know about the group playdate. The playdates are a subset of boys in the class, maybe 5-6 of them out of a class of 18 kids. What really hurts is that they used to invite me along, too, but apparently not this time. Fine, I can handle that -- maybe they have their reasons for wanting to exclude me this time around -- but I wish they would try to be more discreet and not openly talk about it with me standing right there.

liz
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Are group playdates just girls or boys or both? I've had this when the girl mothers are just getting together so none of the boy parents know about the group playdate.

I was wondering the same thing and maybe giving them the benefit of the doubt, until I read your post.....

The playdates are a subset of boys in the class, maybe 5-6 of them out of a class of 18 kids. What really hurts is that they used to invite me along, too, but apparently not this time. Fine, I can handle that -- maybe they have their reasons for wanting to exclude me this time around -- but I wish they would try to be more discreet and not openly talk about it with me standing right there.

....and then I thought, WTH? That's really rude and mean. If it were me, I would call them on it. If it happened once, OK, but twice? unh, unh- I would have to know why they were having playdates and not inviting DC. Hopefully there is some other explanation, but it would really bother me until I knew the true answer.

Boo to them!