PDA

View Full Version : Fat Tuesday: What are your traditions?

Seitvonzu
03-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm curious after watching my 3 year old eat an ADULT CARNIVAL SIZED PORTION of FUNNEL CAKE!!!!!!!!!! :)

my mom would make us funnel cake on very rare occasion growing up-- as our dinner!!!!! we LOVED it, and i started making it as our "fat tuesday" celebration pre-kiddo and it just sorta stuck :) it's certainly a once a year indulgence. we always have sausage with it (protein to counterbalance all that powdered sugar i guess) and lucy & i had 1/2 a grapefruit too.

any one else letting the good times roll? (lucy also wore all purple today but that wasn't on purpose despite knowing it was mardi gras! if i'd realized what i was doing i would have worn purple too and thrown on some beads!)

rlu
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
DS and DH come to my work party (king cake) and then we have pancake dinner at church.

This year and last there was a mom who comes in with all her Mardi Gras decor and pictures who tells the kids about it, bringing King Cake, beads, and masks. DH took our NOLA pictures last year but wasn't able to this year.

JoyNChrist
03-08-2011, 09:16 PM
We're in Louisiana, so we've been Mardi Gras'ing for weeks. Our ball was the 26th (we got invited to join a krewe finally, yay!), we've done a variety of parades, and we've had king cake in the house for at least a month.

I'm missing the big parade tonight though because I'm sick. :(

Mardi Gras is my very favorite holiday. I can't imagine living somewhere that didn't make a big deal out of it.

mommylamb
03-08-2011, 09:36 PM
At work today, my colleagues and I had king cake and champagne. No personal traditions though.

Puddy73
03-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Pancake supper at church. Syrup and sing-a-longs, what's not to love?

Seitvonzu
03-08-2011, 10:05 PM
i've been thinking about new orleans alot today... i just love lousiana in general :) joynchrist-- i love that it's your personal holiday :) i feel like that about Easter (make a huge deal out of it...though DH told me yesterday i'm more "spring equinox" than Easter proper)

next year i might try to make a king cake...but i don't think i can give up the funnel cake :)

JoyNChrist
03-08-2011, 10:11 PM
i've been thinking about new orleans alot today... i just love lousiana in general :) joynchrist-- i love that it's your personal holiday :) i feel like that about Easter (make a huge deal out of it...though DH told me yesterday i'm more "spring equinox" than Easter proper)

My birthday is the day after 12th night, so for as long as I can remember I've had king cake instead of birthday cake. Mardi Gras is so fun!

Momit
03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Fat Tuesday is "Paczki Day" in the Detroit area. Paczkis are like big jelly doughnuts, I believe they come from Poland.

ahisma
03-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Fat Tuesday is "Paczki Day" in the Detroit area. Paczkis are like big jelly doughnuts, I believe they come from Poland.

Yep, we have paczkis here too. Yum. We had red beans & rice for dinner, paczki for desert.

jenstring95
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
The kids and I made King cakes today. Actually, I just pulled them out of the oven. I want the kids to frost them in the morning, but I also want to eat some tonight!

cheri
03-09-2011, 12:36 AM
I usually make King Cake--made one tonight and had that for dinner. :)

citymama
03-09-2011, 12:43 AM
We ate king cake and listened to our favorite N'awlins tunes. We talked about mardi Gras over breakfast and dd (who was already wearing purple) wore her beads to school!