PDA

View Full Version : Study tells us not to keep tasty foods around

DrSally
03-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm sure we all knew this already, but if you are trying to lose weight, don't keep treats around!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/health/nutrition/08eat.html?nl=health&emc=healthupdateema8

Basically, this study showed that eating a more drawn out meal left participants more satisfied and less hungry and those who ate a faster meal were less satisfied. However, the latter group ate just as many tasty snacks as the former group when such snacks were made avail.

"...Yet these differences in hormone levels did not significantly affect how much participants ate of the sweet and salty tea snacks, Dr. Lemmens said, suggesting the availability of tempting foods overrides the body’s internal messages about when to stop eating. "

Common sense, yes. But this confirms one of my dieting/healthy eating strategies of keeping cookies and other favorites just out of the house. I had to buy some snacks for book club at my house, and saw this box of shortbread, heart shaped cookies, with 1/2 dipped in chocolate at Costco. I've had these at coffee shops before and looove them. So buttery and the choc is an extra layer of flavor. I wanted to get them, but decided I could not risk the damage of having a huge box of them in the house. I went with another dessert that is not *as* appealing to me.

daisymommy
03-08-2011, 11:54 PM
So true. It has really helped to not even bring the stuff into the house, otherwise I have no control. Evenings are the worst for me. I really get the munchies! The funny thing is DH gets irritated that I don't have "any good junk food" in the house :tongue5:.

crl
03-08-2011, 11:55 PM
Guess I shouldn't have made those butterscotch brownies.

Catherine

DebbieJ
03-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I just bought lots of fruits and veggies today. Gotta love Costco for that.

Now when I get the munchies, I'll pull out my 5# bag of baby carrots. :)

kijip
03-09-2011, 01:45 AM
This is why we buy ice cream and such in those little pints (when we are having guests) or single scoop cups--- so it is not there unless we go out of our way for it. We never buy more than we will eat in a single, small serving. Because a 1/2 gallon can go as fast as a pint...ugh.

golightly1118
03-09-2011, 01:49 AM
DH is the one who fusses at me for bringing home treats-the funny thing is, I don't bring home excessive amounts of what you could consider treats. I may bring home a box of Joe Joes once a month or so. My weaknesses are honey goat cheese eaten with dates and grapes-I have ZERO willpower where that stuff is concerned-and bacon. It isn't unheard of for me to just fry up a few strips because I have the munchies, or to toss it with brown sugar and bake it a la pig candy :bag

Twoboos
03-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Guess I shouldn't have made those butterscotch brownies.

Catherine

And I guess I shouldn't be asking you to post that recipe asap!! :D

egoldber
03-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Oh yes. I simply cannot have things that I crave in the house. If they are there, I eat them. But if we don't have them, then I don't miss them either.

misshollygolightly
03-09-2011, 09:30 AM
DH is the one who fusses at me for bringing home treats-the funny thing is, I don't bring home excessive amounts of what you could consider treats. I may bring home a box of Joe Joes once a month or so. My weaknesses are honey goat cheese eaten with dates and grapes-I have ZERO willpower where that stuff is concerned-and bacon. It isn't unheard of for me to just fry up a few strips because I have the munchies, or to toss it with brown sugar and bake it a la pig candy :bag

Golightly, I too am a pig candy fanatic :-) Seems we have more than our names in common!

Seitvonzu
03-09-2011, 09:43 AM
the "pig candy" thing makes me smile :) when i was "newly diabetic" (thank you so much pregnancy for resolving that little, life-long blood sugar mystery) and pregnant/nursing (so not really worrying about the fattyfats as much) ,my MIL asked DH what sort of foods i was eating (so she could have some when we visited, nice right?). so the day we get there she puts out peanut butter, whole grain bread, etc (all the stuff she bought) on the counter in a big heap.

it included the DH requested bacon and right next to it--- A BOX OF BROWN SUGAR!!! ;)

she proceeds to tell us "i just LOVE to bake bacon with brown sugar on it...have you ever had it like that?"

needless to say, no one had bacon that day. please note-- DIABETES! and even still (since i'm not a perfect diabetic by any stretch...)-- she didn't even cook it for us- just put it out on the counter. was i supposed to make her pig candy for her? the diabetic preggo DIL? i'm not sure. i think i had some toast and maybe dh made me an egg?

i definitely have a tough time if treats are in the house. i buy it "for DH" but he's at work all day and has "rules" about snacks/desserts. he also tends to "save" things (to the point that they don't taste good anymore. i'm using lent and an upcoming parental visit to do better-- my mother recently lost 60 pounds and looks pretty amazing ;) (at 60!!)

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2011, 09:50 AM
I made some chocolate chip cookies for a party the other day and I thought all would get eaten at the party. They didn't and the host asked me to take them home so they wouldn't tempt her. Gee, thanks! I figured I would do the old "eat them all really quickly so then they'd be gone strategy". Not that many calories though at the end of the day and I only went a bit over my goal that day. I don't know though, I still like the "everything in moderation" approach. I can see that it can be an issue. When I have given up chocolate before, after a while I just don't crave it. But, I think I would go crazy if I could never, ever have a treat. I have pretty good will power most of the time...just not with chocolate chip cookies. That big Costco box of Oreos on the fridge? Eh, 1 a day is more than enough and many days I skip that too.

Beth

egoldber
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
But, I think I would go crazy if I could never, ever have a treat.

Oh never fear, plenty of treats here LOL!!! I just don't buy super tempting ones for me and keep them at home.

DrSally
03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
This is why we buy ice cream and such in those little pints (when we are having guests) or single scoop cups--- so it is not there unless we go out of our way for it. We never buy more than we will eat in a single, small serving. Because a 1/2 gallon can go as fast as a pint...ugh.

Good idea! It's less cost effective, but those big cartons and big boxes of cookies provide too much "opportunity".

DrSally
03-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Oh never fear, plenty of treats here LOL!!! I just don't buy super tempting ones for me and keep them at home.

Exactly! I bought brownie bites and had 1 or 2 a day for awhile, but I just knew if I bought those choc dipped shortbread cookies--like 12 in a box--they might all be gone in the course of a few days. That's right. I might be able to down 4 a day if given the opportunity. I sound like a binge eater here, and I'm not. It's just if I really, really like something it can be hard to set limits. BUT, if I don't have it in the house, I don't really miss it either.

hellokitty
03-09-2011, 11:13 AM
This would explain why everything at my mil's taste like tree bark and has no flavor. :icon_twisted: She's very obsessed with everyone's weight.