PDA

View Full Version : What to buy in Canada that is not offered in the US?

fumofu
03-09-2011, 03:25 AM
My cousins are visiting us in California at the end of the month. They're asking if there's anything we would like them to bring from Canada. Was wondering if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I will make requests for Kit Kats and drugs. Yum!

mezzona
03-09-2011, 04:51 AM
old dutch ketchup chips and old dutch salt and vinegar chips!

kijip
03-09-2011, 04:56 AM
Not legal stateside, but I know some people buy their Tylenol with codeine that is otc in Canada. We do not because narcotic pain relief usually makes me feel worse. This is the number one thing I have heard my friends mention they brought back.

Neatfreak
03-09-2011, 06:25 AM
My SIL in the US requests Coffee Crisp chocolate bars and sugar-free Kool-Aid. At this time of year, maybe Kindereggs?

momm
03-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Nestle Kit Kats
So much more delicious than the Kit Kats you get here.

A friend would bring them everytime she visited. I wanted to eat those almost more than I wanted to see her :p

I've even written to them asking if they sell it anywhere in the US :)

egoldber
03-09-2011, 09:53 AM
I always request the OTC meds with codeine from my Canadian friends. :o

MrsMcGwire
03-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Aero Chocolate bars! I used to buy them by the case when I lived in Michigan, hehe.

karstmama
03-09-2011, 10:39 AM
the original british versions of 'harry potter'!

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Kinder Surprise (eggs) -- Costco and most grocery stores have the Kinder Maxi's right now for Easter too. (they might have problems at the border with these though)

Maple syrup (difficult to pack if they fly)

kids clothes from Please Mum

WatchingThemGrow
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Isn't Nutella different there? How about domperidone? Isn't it OTC in Canada? I used it for increasing my milk supply with an LC's and my OB's approval.

Bryan mom
03-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Roots

LuLuLemon is based in Canada, some store in the US

03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
I agree about the chocolate. Its much better there. Dh's grandma sends us kindereggs every Easter and MIL brings back coffee crisps and aerobars after she visits her mom. I love the mint aerobars. Lay's All-Dressed potato chips are really good and I've never seen them here. Also, it might be a regional thing but one of the first things we get when we visit Ottawa are butter tarts.

Christine

artvandalay
03-09-2011, 05:12 PM
I like Quo makeup brushes. They are found at Shopper's, sometimes on sale.

fumofu
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Aero Chocolate bars! I used to buy them by the case when I lived in Michigan, hehe.

I love Aero bars! Mint is my favorite. AND I've found them sold at Indian grocery stores in my area.

YouAreTheFocus
03-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Yes, chocolate bars x100! They have totally different versions and editions than we have here. The weirdest one I remember was Cinnamon Kit Kat. When we go up to Canada we come back w/ suitcases stuffed with candy bars and snacks :) Lots of interesting chip flavors as well (like roasted chicken).

alexsmommy
03-09-2011, 07:33 PM

...but for me the mint ones. Makes me think of my semester abroad in London. Yum!

viba424
03-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Good thread

Globetrotter
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Chocolate!

Aero (flavors include mint, orange (my fave!), original, dark) and Flake come to mind. For that matter, the everyday chocolate there generally tastes better, more in line with European chocolate.

mom2binsd
03-09-2011, 08:36 PM
A couple of boxes of Smarties (these are the Canadian version of M&M's but MUCH MUCH BETTER!!! :love5:).

Mackintosh's Toffee (it comes in a box with plaid). You slam the box on a table and it'll break into bit size pieces.

Dare Bear Paws, they are soft cookies/bars, great esp if you have kids/friends over who have allergies.

Tim Horton's Coffee

Beer- I always bring a case back of Molson Canadian, but I drive.

This next one depends on where they are coming from.

I also bring back some Ontario wine, I especially love the brand "my cat peed on a gooseberry busy", sounds silly but great wine!

I always bring back Canada shirts from Roots and other cute Canadian things, but I'm Canadian so I always like my kids to have lots of stuff!

:canada:

SkyrMommy
03-09-2011, 09:37 PM
DH loves spruce beer... personally I think it tastes like you're sucking on a pine tree with some carbonation, but he loves it and our friends in Montreal bring some down when they travel and visit.

aloopylife
03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Ooh, butter tarts!

boilermakermom
03-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Cadbury hazelnut chocolate bars! They are fantastic!!!

billysmommy
03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
DH and I are going up this weekend so I'm making a list :)

All this chocolate isn't on my diet though

DrSally
03-09-2011, 10:11 PM
If you know anyone with a peanut allergy, there's a lot of choc type treats and granola bars that are safe.

ahisma
03-09-2011, 10:14 PM
They'll take the Kinder Eggs at the border if they find them. How crazy is that??!

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/dessert-products/dutyfree-food-souvenirs-kinder-bueno-and-why-not-to-buy-kinder-eggs-139966

cntrymoon2
03-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Nanaimo bars, ketchup pringles and icewine. Mmmmmmmm.

Momit
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Not sure if it would work on a long flight, but a friend of mine always has her Canadian in-laws bring real Canadian bacon. I don't eat meat but she says it's wonderful and nothing like what we get in the States that's called Canadian bacon.

Also children's books illustrated by Barbara Reid, she does really cool claymation/photography type illustrations.

Other than that, PPs have mentioned the big ones - Coffee Crisp and Aero candy bars, Smarties, Tim Horton's coffee, Roots clothes.

zag95
03-09-2011, 11:05 PM
I have always liked the creamed honey..... it's just better from Canada!