PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about dog incontinence

misshollygolightly
03-09-2011, 09:36 AM
My mini schnauzer is having some health problems as she ages. She's now about 10 years old and within the past two years has developed some bladder control issues (she leaks when she lays down) and has some age-related liver problems (which, after extensive tests, our vet has determined there's not much we can do about, but at least it isn't anything terribly aggressive). She's been on bladder control medicine for about a year, but for the past month or so it seems like the medicine has just stopped working. She's leaking on everything! I plan to call our vet when this prescription runs out (in about two weeks), but wondered if any of you have suggestions. I don't want to go the doggie diaper route if at all possible--I can't handle two kids and a dog in diapers! I'm wondering if we can increase her current prescription, or if there's something else we should be trying. Thoughts? BTDT?

khalloc
03-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Our dog did this too. Its pretty common. Our dog was on a drug called Proin. She took it twice a day. Once in the AM and once in the PM with her meals. I think it was about $16 a bottle and a bottle lasted 30 days. I know the vet had said that she could take it less often, like 1x per day. But we felt she needed it 2x. Maybe your vet can prescribe something else, or increase her dosage?

Momof3Labs
03-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Yes, try tweaking her meds, but it stopped working for us, too, at a point. We've actually had 3 dogs with this problem and ended up with the doggy diaper route because I couldn't handle the wet spots around the house. That only lasts so long, too, as the leaking increases (though we had big dogs with big leaks). It's hard. I'm sorry you are dealing with this!

khalloc
03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
I wanted to add that 2x a day Proin worked great for our dog. She did not leak ever.

misshollygolightly
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks! This gives me hope. I can't recall the name of our dog's prescription, but she only takes it once/week. Just knowing that there are other alternatives out there is very encouraging! I'll call the vet sooner rather than later (and certainly before we clean our carpets!)