PDA

View Full Version : Amoxicillin Rash?

MommyofAmaya
03-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Can this start on day 10 and be literally head to toe? Sebastian had a few small bumps on the chest yesterday and woke up today covered, with many on the face. Isn't chicken pox season starting too? Pedi doesn't until 9.

Indianamom2
03-09-2011, 09:45 AM
YES!

I am not allergic to amoxicillin, but I am to sulfa drugs, and my reaction started like this 8 days in to a 10 day course. Get to the pedi for some steriods!

egoldber
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
The rash typically comes late in the course, so it can certainly be the amoxicillin. This is how my younger DD reacted to amoxicillin.

nfowife
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Yep that's how it was for DS at ~ 2 months. We stopped it per the pedi and it went away. We don't know if it was just the rash or a real allergy but we have avoided "illin" abx ever since.

MommyofAmaya
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I'm mildly freaking out b/c he has extremely sensitive skin and gets super itchy and irritable. I'll call the pedi first thing.

Indianamom2
03-09-2011, 09:50 AM
There's probably no reason to freak out...just get in to the pedi today and stop taking the amoxicillin...it'll be fine!

rachelh
03-09-2011, 09:54 AM
DD had this about a month ago. Doctor started her on a few rounds of benadryl and it cleared up. I think he said it usually comes out on day 3 or day 9-10.

It took a few days for it to completely go away.

boltfam
03-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Yep, DS developed a rash like this in reaction to Omnicef on day 10. Make sure you go to your ped, though, because with the type of rash he had, Benadryl made it worse.

AngelaS
03-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes it can. When my dd reacted to penicillan, she had a week of high fevers, vomiting, diarrhea and then woke up completely covered in hives. She had them in her mouth too. Ugh....

No more PCN for Sebastian!

MommyofAmaya
03-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes it can. When my dd reacted to penicillan, she had a week of high fevers, vomiting, diarrhea and then woke up completely covered in hives. She had them in her mouth too. Ugh....

No more PCN for Sebastian!

My mother has a penicillin allergy, so that certainly could be the case. I actually hope so b/c he has oral surgery scheduled for the 23rd and I'm guessing we would have to reschedule (again) if it is pox.

ett
03-09-2011, 11:09 AM
DS2 got a rash after his course of amoxicillin so we now avoid all the -cillin antibiotics.

squimp
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
That's how my allergy worked too. It didn't come right away. It took me a while to realize what was going on!

malphy
03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
That's just what happened to me. Day 12 of omnicef, broke out in hives allover. What a mess. Now on steroids and anithistamines for next 2 weeks.

I hope baby is ok! please update when you can!

MMMommy
03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
This happened to DD2, but on Day 5. Her whole body was covered in a horrible, hivey looking rash. It looked way worse than she felt, b/c DD2 felt okay.

HIU8
03-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Yup. that is how it works. My mother, brother and DS all have a penicillin allergy (although my brothers is much much worse) that is how DS's last reaction was.

Sweetum
03-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh my! You all have no idea how good I feel reading this post - last year when DS had his first ear infection, he was given Amoxicillin. Some 7 days after starting the course, DS got his 1 year shots. And on day 10 after his ear infection he got red rashes all over his body that started on his face and then went down to his legs. I was convinced he got measles and that it was a bad idea to get all his 1 year shots at the same time. I've been cursing myself till now. Ped wasn't sure although she was leaning toward reaction/sensitizing towards amoxicillin. For some reason I was not convinced but I go with her whenever she does not want to prescribe it. While a derm couldn't look at the rash on his body, she agreed that it could have been a sensitization. And now I am convinced thanks to this thread. I've been miserable this last one year that he got the measles and that the vaccine was a bad idea since it gave it to him (not just breaking out in a small/mild rash).

sewarsh
03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Just wanted to keep in mind that becuase your DC most likely got a rash from the amox, it doesn't mean they are allergic to it, it can be just a reaction.

My DS had a rash from amox at 9 months of age (i think). we didn't try it again until about a year later (he went on zithromicin the next time he got sick), and had no reaction. he's been on amox multiple times since then with no issues.

Amox is a great drug, one you don't want to be allergic to if you can help it, so i just wanted to point that out so you don't automatically assume he/she is allergic to it and never take it again.

Sweetum
03-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for that Sewarsh - I hear you when you say that being allergic to amox is not a good thing. Ped definitely thinks we should try it again but sometime later, and possible in a controlled, lab type of environment. So, for now he's given the the other AB.

blue
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
That's how my allergy worked too. It didn't come right away. It took me a while to realize what was going on!

:yeahthat: OP I hope your DC feels better soon!

MommyofAmaya
03-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Just returned from the ped who stated that if the reaction is in the first couple of days then it can be considered an allergy, after that is just a sensitivity. The rash is really terrible though, so I hope to avoid it for a while. He also seems in relatively good spirits so we'll see. Thanks for all the comments. Glad this thread gave you some peace of mind sunshineandme.

Sweetum
03-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I just re-read my posts, and I find them somewhat self-centered and insensitive. I'm sorry for that. MommyOfAmaya, I'm glad that you were able to figure out the reason for the rash (in our case we weren't). I remember it going away in a couple of days. DS was not really hurting or anything, but I think he had some discomfort as a result of the vaccination. So, both combined made him be not his usual self. I hope it clears away soon for your DS.

MaiseyDog
03-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Just wanted to keep in mind that becuase your DC most likely got a rash from the amox, it doesn't mean they are allergic to it, it can be just a reaction.

My DS had a rash from amox at 9 months of age (i think). we didn't try it again until about a year later (he went on zithromicin the next time he got sick), and had no reaction. he's been on amox multiple times since then with no issues.

Amox is a great drug, one you don't want to be allergic to if you can help it, so i just wanted to point that out so you don't automatically assume he/she is allergic to it and never take it again.

:yeahthat: A rash is not necessarily a sign on allergy. I would advise you to have the ped actually look at the rash. In pharmacy school they tought us that only about 25% of patients that report an allergy to penicillin drugs actually have a true allergy. By calling it an allergy if it's really not, you are eliminating several very helpful and effective medication, so it's important to have it looked at.

Here's some info on amoxicillin rash http://www.childrens-mercy.org/pa/view.aspx?id=4 Also, although I don't like using wikipedia for medical info, it does have some nice pictures of amoxicillin rash http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoxicillin

MommyofAmaya
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
I just re-read my posts, and I find them somewhat self-centered and insensitive. I'm sorry for that. MommyOfAmaya, I'm glad that you were able to figure out the reason for the rash (in our case we weren't). I remember it going away in a couple of days. DS was not really hurting or anything, but I think he had some discomfort as a result of the vaccination. So, both combined made him be not his usual self. I hope it clears away soon for your DS.

No offense taken whatsoever.

AngelaS
03-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Since my dd had so many other symptoms besides the rash: fever, vomitting,diarrhea, they called it serum sickness and said she absolutely shouldn't take penicillan again.

mackmama
03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
YES!

I am not allergic to amoxicillin, but I am to sulfa drugs, and my reaction started like this 8 days in to a 10 day course.

:yeahthat: This happened to me, too.