PDA

View Full Version : Nebulizer and 13 month old - BTDT??

jgenie
03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
DS2 came home from the peds on Monday w/ a nebulizer. The first day he sat quietly for his treatments but now he's like a wild animal. I've tried putting him in front of the TV but it didn't help. He has a treatment every 4 hours and I'm alone. Anyone BTDT? Tips or tricks to share? TIA

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Yup, BTDT. DVDs worked for us. ETA we had to hold the mask on her

WolfpackMom
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Ughh btdt, still doing it. The best advice I got was to do it while he is sleeping - that should get you atleast 3-4 treatments in (early morning before he wakes up, nap (1 or 2 naps), evening after bed).
DS has a cold right now and I need to up the albuterol treatments too and thus far its not happening when he is awake. :(

lilycat88
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM
It sucks! As much as I hated it, I just literally had to sit DD in my lap in front of the TV and hold down her arms with mine and hold the mask over her face. Eventually, she would calm down. By 15 months, she was holding her own mask and it was no bid deal.

I feel your pain. We've got a six year old and an 8 month old on nebs right now.

egoldber
03-09-2011, 11:18 AM
The first day he sat quietly for his treatments but now he's like a wild animal.

Is he ramped up in general? FYI, albuterol does this to a lot of kids.

Kindra178
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Xoponex might make him less crazy. TV and hold the mask. Totally sucks and I have no real advice that has worked for us. Just be happy you are not nebbing twins 4x a day by yourself.

jgenie
03-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the tips - I pulled out the dancing santa today and he seemed interested in that and he calmed down a bit.

Is he ramped up in general? FYI, albuterol does this to a lot of kids.

They warned me that he might be hyper but I haven't seen any difference in his personality. He just fights wearing the mask and back to normal once I take the mask off. I feel awful having to pin him down.

doberbrat
03-09-2011, 11:47 AM
totally right there with you - dd2 is 15mo and has RSV (again!!) we're doing nebs every 4 hours as well. my pedi told me on Monday that I cant do the nebs lying down b/c it doenst get into their lungs enough. sigh I nodded, shrugged my shoulders and figure if any of it gets in there its better than none right?

I use this website alot - found it w/dd1 when she was a colicy infant. click on the various horses 1 at a time
http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage_site/Kor/hestekor.swf

that helps. sometimes a dvd helps or doing it when she's sleepy and just holding her on me. I also use the blow by many times b/c the mask truly freaks her out.

fingers crossed that this will be a short time for all of us

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 11:51 AM
You won't have to pin him down for long, pretty quickly he should figure out that the mask is helping him breathe. That was our experience. The first little while, DH would put DD in a bear hug and do it that way.

boolady
03-09-2011, 11:54 AM
Does he use a pacifier? We never had one for DD, we always used the mask, then the mouthpiece, but my BFF's doctor gave her a nebulizer tube that had a pacifier kit when he was young.