PDA

View Full Version : For those getting an iPad2

peanut520
03-09-2011, 01:08 PM
When are you getting it? Friday?
Are you ordering online or going into the apple store?
Do you think the crowds are going to be bad?
Anyone ordered/ordering the accessories ahead of time?
Which version are you getting? wifi or 3g? att or verizon? black or white?

peanut520
03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Anyone? or everyone sticking with their current iPad or waiting a while?

iaam
03-09-2011, 04:38 PM
We are getting 2 - one for me and one for DH. Neither of us has the time to go to a store (Apple, Best Buy, Walmart or Target) at 5pm and I suspect that they will be sold out/won't have the configurations that we want by the time we make it there (not before 8pm at the earliest). So, I think by default, we will have to wait a few days. I am hoping that we'll be able to order from an online retailer and at least save on tax that way, but no idea if/when that will happen...

scrooks
03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
We may try to go this weekend ( I am sure DH will want to get it asap:)). I didn't really think there would be a shortage but I guess thats a real possibility!

karin4
03-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm going to get the 32gb wi-fi in black, with the red smart cover. I don't have the first gen iPad, so nothing to stick with here.

Pretty sure I'm going to order online right after midnight. I'm on the west coast, so if the reports that it will be for sale at the online Apple store at midnight Pacific time are correct, I won't need to wait up til 3am. But I might decide to see what the store lines are like at 6pm or so. I would like it in my hands as soon as possible, but I certainly don't need it right away, so if they are sold out by then, I can always order online then, or wait a few days. Obviously, I'm still deciding!

georgiegirl
03-09-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm getting the 32 gb with wifi only in black. I'm not going to wait in line because we have dinner reservations that night for my birthday. I'm not sure whether to order online on Friday or go to the store sat morning and hope they have the configuration I want in. When I talked to the people at the apple store last week, they didn't think there would be long lines

peanut520
03-09-2011, 06:38 PM
I was trying to talk myself into going to the mall with her and getting dinner and the ipad on friday, but that means dragging dd out with me around dinner time and that is ticking time bomb i'd much rather avoid. So i think i'm join the rest with buying online.

i've decided on the 32g with 3g in white with the pink cover. i'm going to stick with att because it is my current carrier now.

I was also told by a coworker that has preordered apple items that you get them the same day as the store release so i am hoping it if order friday night they'll ship overnight. a girl can wish right?

SkyrMommy
03-09-2011, 09:35 PM
I'll be getting my within the next two weeks. 32GB, wi-fi, 3G, black with either an orange or green cover. I've been making a list of apps I'm going to buy too!!!

peanut520
03-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I'll be getting my within the next two weeks. 32GB, wi-fi, 3G, black with either an orange or green cover. I've been making a list of apps I'm going to buy too!!!

Please apps are you thinking about? i havent started yet.

mezzona
03-10-2011, 01:27 PM
midnight tonight, online. black, lowest/cheapest one, att. already ordered the cover for it. if the ipad2 sells out online (can it?), dh will get off work early and stand in line at the store tomorrow.

if he orders online, i know what we'll be doing this weekend -- reading the forums LOL.

MMMommy
03-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Is anyone doing the free engraving online? That seems like a smart move on Apple's part to prevent returns of a customized item!

Is the display model of the Ipad 2 available to test out in the store?

mezzona
03-10-2011, 01:35 PM
Is anyone doing the free engraving online? That seems like a smart move on Apple's part to prevent returns of a customized item!

im not. i imagine it'll also be better for resale w/o the engraving.

the stores usually have it for testing.

MMMommy
03-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I read the refund policy online, and I didn't see any mention of a restocking fee. If you order online, decide you don't like it, and return it within the 14 day window period, is there or isn't there a restocking fee? It sounds like you get credited in full, minus return shipping charges.

clc053103
03-10-2011, 02:03 PM
Silly questions here as I really want one- and likely will get one.

What uses would lead you to get the greater GB? And 3G?

I am thinking that the places I will use it most (home, gym) are Wi Fi hot spots.

Would love to hear reccs from current Ipad users as well, maybe they can help guide any newbies!

octmom
03-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that I will buy one tomorrow. :cheerleader1: Students are on spring break at the university where I work, and the computer store that is attached to the university bookstore will be selling them beginning at 5:00 p.m., just like the Apple stores. I heard they ordered 600 of them (!) and I don't think there will be a big crowd since the students are gone and tomorrow is technically a university holiday (spring break day for the rest of us). The store offers a great program for employees too- 10% down on all sorts of computer equipment and then you can have the rest deducted from your paycheck interest-free over the course of a year. Nice benefit! Of course, knowing that I will barely feel it coming out of my paycheck makes me want to go for one with lots of memory. I'm still on the fence about 3G. Someone at work told me that I could probably get by without it and use my iPhone 3Gs as a hot spot, but I'm not sure exactly how that works and if it would be worth losing my $30 unlimited data plan to get one of their other data plans that allows tethering.

ETA: Just noticed this is my 3000th post. :)

karin4
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM

I'm not. It will delay the shipment somewhat, and I'd rather have it quickly than with the engraving! Also, I've read that iPods which were engraved were not returnable; I don't know if that's the case with iPads, but if it is, it's not worth the risk to me.

smiles33
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
We're getting one for my FIL, 32GB with 3G so he can surf when they're traveling and also provide a hotspot for MIL's iPad, which we got for them when it first came out but it has become MIL's.

LD92599
03-10-2011, 03:15 PM
\Someone at work told me that I could probably get by without it and use my iPhone 3Gs as a hot spot, but I'm not sure exactly how that works and if it would be worth losing my $30 unlimited data plan to get one of their other data plans that allows tethering.

I'm pondering this too!

nmosur
03-10-2011, 11:20 PM
I'm not. It will delay the shipment somewhat, and I'd rather have it quickly than with the engraving! Also, I've read that iPods which were engraved were not returnable; I don't know if that's the case with iPads, but if it is, it's not worth the risk to me.

I returned my iPad with "Happy Birthday <name>" engraved on it to the store on Friday. I was unopened, still in the box but they could tell it was engraved and took it back. Apparently they can still sell it - something about erasing the engraving. I asked because I wanted to know if I could find it on the "clearance rack" three months later at very very low price :-)

peanut520
03-11-2011, 12:29 AM
31 more minutes!!

MMMommy
03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
31 more minutes!!

Wait, isn't it for sale midnight or 1am PST?

karin4
03-11-2011, 01:01 AM
I returned my iPad with "Happy Birthday <name>" engraved on it to the store on Friday. I was unopened, still in the box but they could tell it was engraved and took it back. Apparently they can still sell it - something about erasing the engraving. I asked because I wanted to know if I could find it on the "clearance rack" three months later at very very low price :-)

Oh good! Thanks for letting me know.

And good luck with that clearance rack! :)

karin4
03-11-2011, 01:02 AM
Wait, isn't it for sale midnight or 1am PST?

1am pacific time, I think. But I like 31 minutes better!

peanut520
03-11-2011, 01:04 AM
1am pacific time, I think. But I like 31 minutes better!

oops i didnt get the pst memo :oops:

MMMommy
03-11-2011, 01:10 AM
I've read conflicting times, midnight PST and 1am PST. CNN.com mentioned reports of midnight. Either way, it is a wait...

smiles33
03-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Just tried to buy but there is a 2-3 week wait. Argh!

iaam
03-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Just tried to buy but there is a 2-3 week wait. Argh!

I just saw that too -- they expect to ship them in 2-3 weeks! I think I'll try my luck at B&M Target this afternoon, if I can make it there.

peanut520
03-11-2011, 11:06 AM
oh no, i saw 3-5 business days around 6am est and i decided to take my chances at a best buys tonight. this wait is making me iwshy washy about gettng the white one. there is also a target and att right around the corner of the best buy too.

MMMommy
03-11-2011, 11:16 AM
oh no, i saw 3-5 business days around 6am est and i decided to take my chances at a best buys tonight. this wait is making me iwshy washy about gettng the white one. there is also a target and att right around the corner of the best buy too.

I was debating between the white and the black, but went for the black. This article helped steer me away from the white:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/ipad-2-ultimate-shopping-guide/

larig
03-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I set alarm for 12:45, somehow slept through it, but woke up at 1:37 pacific time. read about the earthquake, freaked out about the people impacted, recovered from shock, managed to order DH's ipad, (32 gig black + blue cover + camera deal). It still said shipping in 3-5 business days by the time I placed the order. The other items will likely beat the ipad here. We got black, because I think that the black bezel looks better with movies. ETA: we got 32 gig because of the cameras + DH will use garageband to record music he writes. Anytime I am using something to generate content I want extra room.

We're going to go out to dinner super early (3:30) and then swing by the apple store. If they happen to have enough we'll buy one then and return our online order unopened to the store. I don't expect they'll have them, but we've gotten lucky before. I think our apple store will be swamped.

You can also try Best Buy, Target, Walmart...many online are speculating that the long shipping times (now up to 2-3 weeks for online orders) means that they've sent tons of stock to the stores, or that they're trying to spook people into going to B&M stores to buy them so they have a big-appearing launch (unlike the recent Verizon which had so many orders online you didn't see a big splash and wait-times in stores, so people were saying that it wasn't popular). Here's a guide for finding one today.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/10/buying-an-ipad-2-on-launch-day/

According to macrumors

Regardless, Apple is clearly seeing high demand relative to its launch supplies. Several analysts are predicting debut sales of 500,000-600,000 units, nearly double the 300,000 units sold in the first-day launch of the original iPad.

mezzona
03-11-2011, 12:20 PM
dh was able to get his order in at 12:50 am pst. just got an email saying it'll ship march 18. bummer! gunna try target tonight. there are lines at apple stores...

peanut520
03-11-2011, 01:12 PM
I was debating between the white and the black, but went for the black. This article helped steer me away from the white:

if i get the black then i have to reconsider the pink cover i wanted with the white.

peanut520
03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
I set alarm for 12:45, somehow slept through it, but woke up at 1:37 pacific time. read about the earthquake, freaked out about the people impacted, recovered from shock, managed to order DH's ipad, (32 gig black + blue cover + camera deal). It still said shipping in 3-5 business days by the time I placed the order. The other items will likely beat the ipad here. We got black, because I think that the black bezel looks better with movies. ETA: we got 32 gig because of the cameras + DH will use garageband to record music he writes. Anytime I am using something to generate content I want extra room.

What deal? is there a price break with all 3 items?

peanut520
03-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Well i just called the apple store in DE and they said there are a few hundred people waiting in line, but they have plenty.

larig
03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
What deal? is there a price break with all 3 items?
sorry I used the word deal instead of "thing" or "doodad."--I wish there was some deal! Silly me doing that on the BBB!

dukie41181
03-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Well i just called the apple store in DE and they said there are a few hundred people waiting in line, but they have plenty.

Just think how long it will take to get through that line! We're headed to Target and hoping for something good!

peanut520
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
sorry I used the word deal instead of "thing" or "doodad."--I wish there was some deal! Silly me doing that on the BBB!

lol... you really got me excited that i missed something!!

larig
03-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Okay, DS NEVER takes a nap, but did tonight. So, we're scrapping dinner plans and I'm going to go wait in line (don't tell DH I'm also going to Sears & Sephora). ;-) and try to score an ipad 2. I'll let you all know how it goes--it's 3:30 my time. I think I should be able to get one.

mezzona
03-11-2011, 07:45 PM
dh and i went to the mall for lunch. he went to check out the line at the apple store. "oh it's not bad, just 30-50 ppl." so he dropped us off at home and went back to stand in line. apparently the 30-50 peeps in line outside the store were people who were there since morning. the rest of the line was OUTSIDE the mall, wrapped around the mall... holy cow. did everyone take friday off?

smiles33
03-11-2011, 07:58 PM
dh and i went to the mall for lunch. he went to check out the line at the apple store. "oh it's not bad, just 30-50 ppl." so he dropped us off at home and went back to stand in line. apparently the 30-50 peeps in line outside the store were people who were there since morning. the rest of the line was OUTSIDE the mall, wrapped around the mall... holy cow. did everyone take friday off?

WOWZA! That is crazy, mezzona! At times like this, I wish I owned Apple stock.

peanut520
03-11-2011, 09:26 PM
i just place my order online and hope i get it before my trip in april. i called the apple store and they said there was still about 100 people in line and they were running low. i also called best buy, att, and target. target had a few black 64gb 3g (verizon) left at 8pm.

i decided on the 32gb with 3g (at&t) with pink cover and camera kit.

octmom
03-11-2011, 10:35 PM
I got one at Best Buy. I got there around 4:15 and finished up at around 6:30. I'm typing on it now. :) I got a black, 32G, AT&T with a green smart cover. Just need to learn my way around it now. :).

LD92599
03-11-2011, 11:26 PM
We went to best buy around 6:30, sold out. (kinda figured that butvwhat the heck, might as well try!). Called 1 apple store, sold out. Called target, sold out. Called the other apple store where they said they had a ton left. Got over there and whoa the line! At least 150? Still waiting lined up all along the mall corridors and that was 8pm!

I will try a few stores tomorrow otherwise next week is fine! I want 32gb, wifi, white with lime cover.