PDA

View Full Version : I think my vacum cleaner just died, can you tell me about yours?

jess_g
03-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Mine is a hoover wind tunnel. I bought it refurbished for $60. It worked great until today. Not picking up much stuff and now it will not turn on. I think its time for a new one. Does anyone have a make or model to recomend? I would love one that is quite and actualy picks small crumbs up. We have wall to wall carpet in most of the house and one cat that does shed but not that much. I am not sure if we can afford a Dyson so I am looking for other recs.

thanks, Jessica.

peanut520
03-09-2011, 01:13 PM
i vote dyson all the way! i cant recommend anything else since that is all we have used the last 6 years and i know i will buy another one if this one dies.

ohsara430
03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
We just bought an Oreck about a month ago and I'm very happy with it. It is super lightweight and fantastic to use, sucks up everything. I like that it uses bags so that I don't have to deal with emptying and cleaning canisters. We bought it on clearance at Target. It doesn't have all of the attachments and hoses and stuff so you need something separate for that stuff but I prefer it that way so I don't have to lug around all of that stuff on the actual vacuum when all I'm doing 95% of the time is vacuuming the carpet.

When we were looking for a new vacuum we thought about Dyson but after watching lots of reviews on youtube we reconsidered, especially for the price.

edurnemk
03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I love my Dyson Animal DC25. I don't have any other recommendations, since it's the only one I've had that I love so much. I got in on sale at Sears last year, in April IIRC, I'm not sure but I think it was around $399.

Maybe you can look for a refurbished one, I remember seeing them on overstock and other sites.

Swallowbird23
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
We love our Dyson! We were able to get it on sale at Beat Buy and use our reward points gift certificate thingy towards it, so it was very reasonably priced for a Dyson.

infomama
03-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Dyson all the way.

boilermakermom
03-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I really wanted the Dyson animal, but just couldn't spend the $400-$500 on a vacuum (that I had to push myself! ;-)

We got a Bissel Heathly Home instead. It is the Bissel equivalent to the Dyson Animal. Love love love it!!! Read reviews on amazon if you are interested. There are a ton!!!!

connor_mommy
03-09-2011, 04:09 PM
I love my Dyson. I've had it for almost 5 years. I just had to replace a hose because there was a large crack in it. It still sucked up stuff but not too well with the hole in it. I use it almost every other day.

AnnieW625
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Another Dyson fan, we have the regular DC14. Had it for four years and no problems. I bought it at Costco and had a hard time swallowing the $400 price tag, but it's great.

JoyNChrist
03-09-2011, 04:19 PM
My MIL bought me a Shark vacuum (the same people who make the steam mop) for Christmas, and I really like it.

hellokitty
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I have the shark navigator, which is a knock off of the dyson. We :love-retry: it!!! It's works wonderfully and is a fraction of the price of the dysons.

bubbaray
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Miele! :)

Rarick0
03-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I just bought a miele twist since I wasn't sure I wanted to go bagless and I'm loving it!

fauve01
03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Another Dyson fan, we have the regular DC14. Had it for four years and no problems. I bought it at Costco and had a hard time swallowing the $400 price tag, but it's great.

:yeahthat: except we've had ours more like 6 years. love it, love it! :heartbeat:

and one other review: a friend recently bought a Miele (don't know which model) and she cannot say enough good things about it. she vacuums all the time because she has a golden lab. She initially thought her DH was NUTS for buying it b/c it's very expensive, but she said it's the best vacuum ever.

hth,
anne

JBaxter
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
DYSON! I have the animal about 5 yrs old. Kohl's has them 30 % off right now if you have a Kohl's card

alexsmommy
03-09-2011, 07:19 PM
My Dyson is one of those items I truly believe was worth the extra money.

MommyAllison
03-09-2011, 08:21 PM
I *love* my Bissell. We got whatever model Costco had 2 years ago, and have been super happy with it. My ILs vacuum daily (sometimes multiple times a day) and had the same one, and also loved it.

vludmilla
03-09-2011, 08:46 PM
We bought a Miele Titan canister at Christmas time and we LOVE it. DH initially thought it wouldn't be worth but now he likes it so much that HE vacuums. Priceless :)

american_mama
03-10-2011, 12:03 PM
For your Wind tunnel, check obvious things like emptying the dirt canister, cleaning any filters, changing bag if need be, making sure the thick rubber band thing on the underside that makes the beater bar spin is not broken. Had I done that more thoroughly, I probably would not replaced my Bissell. But since I did, I can recommend both my vaccuums (got a little extravagant, one for each level of the house). I like the Shark Navigator best, very quiet, lightweight, easy to push. It has a shorter brush than most vaccuums, so will require more pushes to clean an entire floor, but it's not a big deal to me. Might be less ideal if you have wall-to-wall everywhere in your house and you might have to empty to dirt canister often, since it's quite small. I have area rugs and hardwoods, and I like that the switch to go between bare floor and carpet is right up by the handle. I also like the ultra long attachment thingy, which makes vaccuuming baseboards and ceilings so easy I am doing it for the first time in my life. There is a pet attachment, sotred in a separate bag, but I have not used it. Theprice is usually the same everywhere, about $199, but you can use a 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond. See reviews at http://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Upright-Bagless-Cleaner-NV22L/dp/B002IPHBNE

My other vac is a new Hoover Wind Tunnel. They seem to have several models with the same name; mine is royal blue in color and I think is Anniversary Edition. I think it's been discontinued, but it was at Sam's Club a year ago for about $139. It works very well, but is pretty loud and heavy. I keep it downstairs where we have wall-to-wall. It has a pet attachment that is stored on the vac.

jess_g
03-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Thanks everyone. My vacum is now fixed! and I have been vacuming and cleaning up all morning. All I had to do was plug it in to a different socket and it worked again. If we were willing to spend the money right now I would get a Miele but for now I am happy that my old Hoover is working agian.

Jessica.