PDA

View Full Version : Stroll Air Duo

swissair81
03-09-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm known as the stroller expert in my neighborhood, but I had to admit that I didn't have a clue about the My Duo, when my friend asked me about it for her 2 younger kids. So, just so I know what to say next time, do we like this one or not? (oh and why or why not?) Weigh in please!

Kaylee31
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Long time no see. :wavey:
I don't know much about the Duo, other than I'd love to try it out. It's pretty expensive though. I think the most desirable factor about it is that it has the independent, reversible seats. So you could have one child facing you, while the other faces out. And you wouldn't need a separate bassinet for a newborn; and would still have the reversible option long after your child was too big for a bassinet. Baby Gizmo has a video review for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxIA9eKcHlI

tmahanes
03-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't know anything about it either but I want it if we have another!!! Not that we could afford it! I love the reversible double feature.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

arivecchi
03-09-2011, 02:48 PM
No input but glad to see you back! :waving4:

swissair81
03-09-2011, 02:53 PM
No input but glad to see you back! :waving4:

Hiiiii! Nice to see you all! Not that it's permanent or anything. I'm taking 15 credits this semester. My stroller collection is sadly neglected.

arivecchi
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Please stick around.

We need more MB maniacs around these parts. :rotflmao:

Bootsie
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I have one and I LOVE it.

First, it is a plush ride. The seats are cushy and even the padding on the harness straps and crotch buckle are extra padded. My twins are thrilled to ride in it. My 5 month old son gladly sleeps in it almost as soon as we start to stroll.

It also has a great, one handed push for the parent. I have to say though - I have the air tires (my DH calls them the "snow tires") on it now and haven't strolled with it with the other tires except in the house on carpet).

Second, the canopies are huge and have a pull out that extends beyond the canopy.

The seats have different configurations - it is one of the few doubles where both seats can parent face. This is huge for me, especially while my twins are little. But the seats are independent - one child can face forward and one back. The canopies are independently adjustable. It is very easy to rearrange the seats. You just push a red button and the seat pops off and then pops back on.

You can recline the seats down and pull one part of the canopy up and there is mesh (almost like what the BJCMD tries to accomplish, but in a much more refined way), which is going to be fabulous for naps and chilling in the warmer weather. The twins can see each other in this mode, through the mesh, but chill out and catch a breeze at the same time.

Even with the air tires on it, it is fairly lightweight. Much lighter weight than the Bumbleride Indie Twin or a BOB duallie. To me, it feels in line with the weight of the BJCMD - maybe a little heavier. With the air tires off, it is even lighter weight. (It is probably even a contender for being a do-all stroller. The air tires make it all terrain and with the standard air chamber tires, it can go to the mall. I say "probably" because those who go shopping often with a stroller might prefer an umbrella stroller that is meant for this purpose - one with a one step fold and one that is less full featured and therefore a lighter weight).

It has a nice size folded. A mom in my twins group is able to fit it in her Prius. The wheels also pop on and off very easily and give it an even smaller fold. The fold is not one step, but is very easy and unfolding it is also a breeze. It locks when folded.

It has a HUGE basket that is accessible and that has three big cargo pockets in it.

It has an adjustable handbar.

It comes with a matching diaper bag (which is actually pretty nice. It has insulated bottle holders on the side. A pocket for binkies. A front pocket for a cell phone. It has a washable/insulated liner and a mesh pocket for wet stuff), mosquito nets, rain cover, bumper bars and foot muffs.

Things to know though: the seats are about 11 to 11.5 inches wide. You need to consider whether this is a concern for you - many of the slimmer side by sides are slimming the seat (I think the MB Duet is supposed to have 11 or 11.5 inch seats and I think the same might be true of the Donkey). In my twins group, I've seen 5 year olds and 3 year olds fit comfortably in the seat, but YMMV if your DC is in the high percentiles for weight. Also, although the My Duo will fold with the seats on when they are forward facing, it cannot fold with the seats on parent facing.

P.S. It is also a really smart looking stroller. We get tons of compliments when we are out with it and questions about where we got it, etc.

roseyloxs
03-09-2011, 02:59 PM
The only complaint I remember was that it was heavy even though it doesn't have air tires. Also some worried the seats would be outgrown early but I think maybe Hollie addresses this in the video review.

Someone mentioned that you could buy air tires from stroll-air if you wanted them.

swissair81
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Please stick around.

We need more MB maniacs around these parts. :rotflmao:

Would it help if I mention that the only stroller I've used lately is my snazzy Duo?

swissair81
03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks kaylee, bootsie, and roseyloxs!

arivecchi
03-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Would it help if I mention that the only stroller I've used lately is my snazzy Duo? I bet your neighbors are getting whiplash with the MB Duo and the gorgeous 7 am blanket! :tongue5:

swissair81
03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
I think they need to wear shades to even look at it :)

roseyloxs
03-09-2011, 03:14 PM
I have one and I LOVE it.

Wow. I didn't realize you had finally picked your double. I think I was the first to suggest the stroll-air to you. I am so glad you love it. I wish I had seen it before I bought the indie twin. I would have loved the reversible seat options. Was it hard to get the air tires? How much did they cost?

There is actually one on my parent's CL and I am tempted to make them run out and get it for me. Its 5 years old though so I don't know what changes have been made since then.

Bootsie
03-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Wow. I didn't realize you had finally picked your double. I think I was the first to suggest the stroll-air to you. I am so glad you love it. I wish I had seen it before I bought the indie twin. I would have loved the reversible seat options. Was it hard to get the air tires? How much did they cost?

There is actually one on my parent's CL and I am tempted to make them run out and get it for me. Its 5 years old though so I don't know what changes have been made since then.

:yeahthat: Absolutely! I hadn't heard of it until you told me about it. I owe you one! I was lucky to have someone in my twins group with it so I could see it in person and push it around and try folding it and things and see how I thought I could fare with it.

The air tires are easy to get - you just email Stroll Air and they send you a paypal invoice and take care of it from there. I think they are about $100. Stroll Air also runs giveaways from time to time on their facebook page where you can win air tires.

I think there have probably been a lot of changes in the past 5 years. I think it was called a Spider Duo back then right? Somehow I thought the Spider Duo had some problems. I think the "My Duo" as it exists now came out in 2010 and 2010 saw two models. The latter model, issued in October 2010, made some sort of improvements to the canopies, added locks (before then, snaps that didn't always stay shut were the means of locking the stroller) and made the bumper bars immovable.

ebjw
03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
I have it too and love it too! I've never gotten the air tires and the ones it comes with have been great on any and every surface. I have the first version without the improved folding lock and the lock it has doesn't give me any problems. My girls are 19 months apart so I recommend it for close in age as well as twins. Having them face different ways is fantastic for keeping the toddler away from the baby. All summer people at the zoo were obsessed with it! My dream would have been a double Vista, but since that doesn't exist, the My Duo made it all ok!

Bootsie
03-11-2011, 12:01 AM
I have it too and love it too! I've never gotten the air tires and the ones it comes with have been great on any and every surface. I have the first version without the improved folding lock and the lock it has doesn't give me any problems. My girls are 19 months apart so I recommend it for close in age as well as twins. Having them face different ways is fantastic for keeping the toddler away from the baby. All summer people at the zoo were obsessed with it! My dream would have been a double Vista, but since that doesn't exist, the My Duo made it all ok!

I agree with you. The Stroll Air the mom in my twins group had was the first version and it was equally awesome. Plus, she liked having the adjustable bumper bars (on the second version, they were made immovable).