PDA

View Full Version : Dogs

lhafer
03-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I want one. I had one, a gorgeous chocolate lab. My 3 year opened the front door and let her out one morning. Long story short, we didn't realize she was missing until early afternoon. Never saw her again. :(

I am looking into getting a Bichon Frise. http://www.google.com/images?q=bichon+frise&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7SNNT&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zcp3TfSCNrOK0QHW_oHeBg&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1345&bih=635

Anyone have experience with them? While I loved our lab (she was totally awesome, albeit hyper), the next dog I get I want to be a little smaller. I don't want something tiny, or too big.

DH and I have had dogs almost our whole life. He's always had labs. I've always had mutts (until our chocolate). We have a 5 year old and a 1 year old so need a breed good with children. We have a smaller backyard, but great parks and neighborhoods for daily walks.

What do you suggest? Does the Bichon Frise breed sound like a good fit? I am a SAHM, so training, etc would fall to me. My ILs have 3 labs, my sister has a Malimute, my parents have a Newfoundland type dog - so everything I am familiar with has to do with much larger breeds.

sunshine873
03-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I really don't know that much about them (another lab family here) but they're awfully cute! :) My one question: since you had a low-maintenance lab before, how do you feel about having a dog that you have to take to the groomer on a regular basis? The Bichon Frise looks like it would require regular "haircuts." :)

lhafer
03-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I really don't know that much about them (another lab family here) but they're awfully cute! :) My one question: since you had a low-maintenance lab before, how do you feel about having a dog that you have to take to the groomer on a regular basis? The Bichon Frise looks like it would require regular "haircuts." :)

Yeah - I would MUCH rather take a non-shedding dog to the groomer on a regular basis than clean up Lab hair multiple times a day!! Labs SHED like crazy!!

lhafer
03-09-2011, 03:18 PM
What about goldendoodles/labdoodles, or petite lab/goldendoodles? Any experience with those?

My all time favorite dog is a Golden Retriever. My grandmother had one when I was growing up - she was a puppy when I was a baby. We grew up together and she was the.best.dog.EVER! But I don't really want a long haired dog. And they are a little bigger than what I'm looking for.

boolady
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
My parents have a bichon frise that they adopted. She's a prissy thing, but she's fine. She definitely does not shed, needs to be washed/groomed regularly, and is pretty mellow.

niccig
03-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Yeah - I would MUCH rather take a non-shedding dog to the groomer on a regular basis than clean up Lab hair multiple times a day!! Labs SHED like crazy!!

Yep, our next dog will be a non-shedding dog. I should vaccum daily...and still be able to build another dog out of what's in the cannister.

JBaxter
03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
My Mom has one. Millie is an awesome little dog. Poodles are also nice little dogs and any bichon or poodle mixes are generally non shedding and nice little dogs.

BabyMine
03-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I fostered one a long time ago. He was around 2 and was still very playful but not hyper. I did have to shave him because the old owners never brushed him and the hair mats easily. The only other thing is they get the discoloring around the eyes like poodles do. I would contact a rescue and visit with the dogs they have. Even within one breed there are different personalities.

Also check out www.petfinder.com (http://www.petfinder.com)

JBaxter
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
What about goldendoodles/labdoodles, or petite lab/goldendoodles? Any experience with those?

My all time favorite dog is a Golden Retriever. My grandmother had one when I was growing up - she was a puppy when I was a baby. We grew up together and she was the.best.dog.EVER! But I don't really want a long haired dog. And they are a little bigger than what I'm looking for.

I know 2 doodle mixes IRL ... One is a goldendoodle ( mom was golden dad mini poodle) Other is a labdoodle. The labdoodle is dumb as a sack of rocks he eats poops and chews. The goldendoodle is a fantastic little dog

veronica
03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
OMG.....we have a Bichon Frise. And the eerie thing about reading your post, is that she got out two weeks ago and we did not notice for about an hour. She was gone from 1:30 pm until 11:00 pm and I was devastated. I had left a blanket on the lawn , hoping she would find her scent and she must have. I am so sorry to hear the outcome of your lab, I know how heartbraking that worry is.

In regards to the Bichon: we adore her. She is incredibly smart. I speak to her in english and spanish and she totally gets it. She is ok with the kids, but mostly just want to be left alone from them. We also have a Maltese, who is also non-shedding. Both weight about 11 pounds. I bathe them both every two weeks and we keep the hair short. They are so low to the ground that they pick up more dirt so I like to bathe them that often (quick shampoo and towel dry takes me an hour total for both). I get them officially groomed every 3rd or 4th month , once their hair has grown too long for me to maintain.

our Maltese is more of a lazy bones and his hair tangles less, so I like that. The bichon hates bath time and gets more knots, which I why I keep her hair short. She is also the jumpier of our dogs (will bark at more noises, misbehave more outstide, eats what she should not, etc.) . She does have allergies that cause her eyes to tear and hair to discolor by her nose. We tried different treatments but have only stuck with allergy pet food purchased directly from the vet. Of the two dogs, I swear I would spend money to clone our maltese though. He is a bundle of snuggles but dumb as a rock. Not sure if those are general traits of each breed or just to our particular dogs though.....

pm me any questions you may have!!!

KLD313
03-09-2011, 03:39 PM
My has one now, it's her second. They're really cute dogs, cute personality and sweet. Her first was a female, the one she has now is a male and he's much sweeter and clingier than the female was. I think male dogs are usually sweeter regardless of breed. They're stubborn to train so being home will help. They do need to be brushed a lot and groomed but the no shedding is great.

ssjarrett
03-09-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't have a dog (kids too scared), but we have looked at them a little...a very cute small dog is the Shichon --cross between Bichon Frise and Shi tzu (also called a Teddy Bear I think). The petstore told me they don't shed, are hypoallergenic, good with kids, and don't require grooming. Assuming those things were all true :-), this might be another one to look at.

mackmama
03-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I grew up with several Bichons. Personally, I would suggest a Havanese or a Doodle. Havanese are in the same family as Bichons but (in my opinion and experience) are a little more mild-mannered, don't bark so much, and are super fun and playful. The Bichons I grew up with were fairly neurotic, had a lot of skin problems, were all super smart, barked a ton, loved to cuddle with adults but kind of avoided small children. The Bichon/Havanese family of dogs requires a lot of grooming.

We now have a mini labradoodle, and he is fantastic as are the other lab/golden doodles I know. He doesn't shed, is super sweet, loooves to cuddle, and is very playful without being a spaz. I groom him myself every 2 weeks because his hair grows quickly.

MamaMolly
03-09-2011, 09:18 PM
We have a Havanese and he is a love. In the US they are technically Bichon Havanese, or so I've read. We keep his hair long now but I plan to clip it short this summer. It does need brushing daily or else it gets mats, but he's so, so sweet and will lay in my lap like a cooked noodle while I brush him it is a pleasant task.

He's only got one real quirk, he will NOT walk on a leash. He'll follow me around at my heel all.day.long but if I clip on a leash he sits down and will *not* move. Dummy. :)

indigo99
03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
The Bichons I grew up with were fairly neurotic, had a lot of skin problems, were all super smart, barked a ton, loved to cuddle with adults but kind of avoided small children. The Bichon/Havanese family of dogs requires a lot of grooming.

:yeahthat: I had a friend with one, and her dog had a lot of skin issues. The breed is apparently prone to allergies. His white fur was also always stained even though he was a pampered pet, and he barked a lot. I never found him to be particularly friendly either, but I guess it's all about the individual dog.

We had a Lakeland Terrier once when I was growing up that was a sweet but fun little dog.

lhafer
03-10-2011, 08:16 AM
I grew up with several Bichons. Personally, I would suggest a Havanese or a Doodle. Havanese are in the same family as Bichons but (in my opinion and experience) are a little more mild-mannered, don't bark so much, and are super fun and playful. The Bichons I grew up with were fairly neurotic, had a lot of skin problems, were all super smart, barked a ton, loved to cuddle with adults but kind of avoided small children. The Bichon/Havanese family of dogs requires a lot of grooming.

We now have a mini labradoodle, and he is fantastic as are the other lab/golden doodles I know. He doesn't shed, is super sweet, loooves to cuddle, and is very playful without being a spaz. I groom him myself every 2 weeks because his hair grows quickly.

Thanks for this info!!

I LOVE labs and goldens, and am looking into Goldendoodles. I see they make petite/medium sized ones as well. But after looking at how much they cost - I may just go to the pound!! :) I would love to do that anyway, but after having a regular lab who shed SO MUCH, I would really really like to get a nonshedding/little shedding dog. Especially since I have a baby who is still crawling (though hope to be walking soon!!).

cmo
03-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Gotta put in a plug for Cockapoos! I have had 2 in my adult lifetime, and both were very good with kids, not high-maintenance, and reasonably easy to groom. Adult size is about 30 lbs. Big enough to bark (not yip), yet small enough to cuddle up on the couch with you. :-) They are not as popular as the other -doodle mixes are, so you may be able to find one via petfinder or at a lower cost.