PDA

View Full Version : prednisone side effects in adults

malphy
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I tried searching but did not see a whole lot of info on this.

I am on prednisone for the next 2 weeks because of the allergic reaction to omnicef.

I thought i would be ok to return to work (pt at preschool) but there is just no way.

I feel like a zombie with a racing heart. I am on fire one minute, cold the next. My body aches all over. My head hurts. The area around my eyes(sinus area) is just killing me. I am weak and feel like I am going to faint. I have no strength to do anything.

I will see my dr for followup tomorrow but does this sound normal for prednisone?

I really am having a hard time taking care of dd and, thankfully, she is not difficult.

AmyZ
03-09-2011, 06:24 PM
I've been on prednisone for 3 weeks due to an terrible hive outbreak.

It made me feel totally crazy... racing heart, like you describe. I would take benedryl at night to help halt the racing heart so I could sleep. It was a terrible experience. I did not have the other side effects you mention, but they would not surprise me.

I begged to go off it... but we had to taper super slow so the hives did not re-appear. GL!!

ThreeofUs
03-09-2011, 06:26 PM
Talk to your doctor about this. See if you can lower the dose gradually or switch.

zoestargrove
03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
I was on prednisone and experienced racing heart, dry mouth and inability to sleep, irritability. If I remember correctly they don't want you to stop abruptly, but slowly reduce your dose over a number of days. Good luck with your dr. appt.

Cam&Clay
03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I was on it for a while over the summer. I had the racing heart and headache. I couldn't sleep at all, but she had given me Ambien, so that helped a lot.

I hate hate hate being on prednisone. I know it's necessary sometimes, but it just plain sucks.

:grouphug:

MSWR0319
03-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I am extremely irritable on it , especially after I stop taking it. It also throws off my period. I believe I also have hot flashes. Just make sure you don't stop suddenly or you'll get worse side effects!

trales
03-09-2011, 06:52 PM
What you are describing is exactly what I experienced, I began to taper and ended the course about 5 days early, tapering carefully with the doctor.

I will never ever take it again, it was so bad, the worst thing I have ever experienced.

malphy
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Thanks all! At least I know I am not going crazy.

I am on a dose that is tapering off as I go so I guess I will just have to stick it out. But it really feels like a bomb went off in my body. And I don't know when I will be able to function properly to do my job. I take care of toddlers so there is a lot of hands on care. I would hate to drop them or fall while holding them, kwim? Until I feel safe I will not be able to take care of the babies.

Toba
03-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I am allergic to everything and my doctor is quick to put me on prednisone. I feel wired on it and don't like it, but not much else to do when you have hives all over your body.

DH takes it A LOT because he has chronic asthma. He becomes SATAN when he takes it. Seriously, when he gets a script for it, I have to stop myself from checking into a hotel with my son for a few weeks. Everything makes him mad (and he is SO not like that at all) and he will snap for no reason in a nanosecond. He also has trouble sleeping on it.

Neither of us has ever had racing heart problems or anything of that nature (and DH has been on heavy doses). We've never had most of the symptoms you describe ... the fatigue and weakness are kind of peculiar since it commonly makes you wired. It almost sounds like you have a sinus infection going on. Whatever you do, don't just stop taking it ... it needs to be tapered off. Hope you feel better soon!

ETA: We posted at the same time! Sorry! :)

Kindra178
03-09-2011, 08:38 PM
I just did a 6 day course. All I can say is RAGE! I was constantly angry, upset, couldn't deal with my emotions. And that was only 6 days!

nicepersonfl
03-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I'm on my 3rd medrol dosepack because of horrible sinus infections...

Besides eating everything in sight, being nauseated while doing it...

THE HOT FLASHES ARE KILLING ME!!! the nightmares are horrible!!!

But on the bright side - my arthritic knee feels great right now!

trales
03-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Talk to them about tapering sooner. It made all the difference for me. Even cutting off 3-5 days of your 14 could make a huge difference in your life.

BabyMine
03-09-2011, 09:34 PM
Definately talk to your Dr. Are you on the Medrol Dose Pak? I had a horrible experience with it and blew up like a ballon. When I take it now I take 15mg every day for 3 days. I don't have to taper if it is under 5 days and I don't get the side effects.

Babymakes3
03-09-2011, 09:55 PM
My DH has been on it several times for poison ivy and he has complained of the racing heart, being super hot and having cotton mouth which makes him super thirsty.

WatchingThemGrow
03-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I totally felt like that when they put me on it, and I can't deal with it now. So sorry you are. Hope you can sleep and get it changed or taper off tomorrow.

firemama
03-09-2011, 10:57 PM
OP, I hope you can get off of it soon. I had a similar experience. I was edgy, loopy, high strung and couldn't sleep. I lost weight and couldn't wait to get off of it. I took it for hives too and will NEVER take it again. I have only come across one person IRL, and she was a doctor. I'm glad to find out I'm not a freak and other people have had this happen. Most doctors look at me like I'm crazy when I put this on my list of medications I am allergic to, because I refuse to take it anymore.