PDA

View Full Version : How prepare DS, really me, for fieldtrips

niccig
03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
DS will be in spring camp 2 days so I can go to classes. They have outings to outdoor arcade (not a big amusement park, but still dodgem cars, small roller coaster, ferris wheel) and miniature golf. I'm not worried about the transport - take vans and he can take booster seat, the camp director is the director of his school's after care and we already talked about booster seats. It's only kids from his school at the camp. His best friend might be going on the same days as well.

DS does lots of field trips with his class and if I can't go, I don't worry as several other parents keep an eye of him. It's normally 1 parent to about 3 kids for class field trips. I am worried about the amusement park field trip - the camp is 25+ years in existence, they've do outings like this over the summer. The miniature golf doesn't worry me as much, maybe because less people there??

DS is in K, and we'll go over the stay with the counsellor, stay with your buddy, don't wander off etc...and DS is a very mature 6 year old, but I still worry about this. He's in after care tomorrow, so I'll get more information on how they run it.

I see groups of kids like this throughout the summer, and it all seems to work out fine. Now we're at this point, I'm a little worried.

babybunny
03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
When DS goes on Y camp outings, all the kids wear the same camp T shirt in orange so they are easy to spot. You could ask if they do something like that.

I believe that the kids are warned up and down that that they need to follow the rules and behave and stay with the group so they really are good. I tagged along the Pre-K trip to the local library, and I was amazed at how well behave the kids were outside of the school going from the parked car to the library itself.

Gracemom
03-10-2011, 08:17 AM
He sounds mature and he'll do fine. Most kids in these situations are afraid of getting separated from the group. So they will stay with their buddy and teacher. The camp sounds like it has a good track record for safety. It sounds like your DS will have a blast!

niccig
03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks for replying. I know he'll be fine, but not being able to go to everything is new to me. He loves the after camp, has a blast every day and doesn't want to leave when I get there. Today they made nachos for snack and did handprints on pillowcases...I think I would prefer to be there too. I think most of the counsellors he knows will be be there for Spring Camp.