PDA

View Full Version : Would DS benefit from a booster seat?

new_mom_mry
03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
So we already have a Tripp Trapp for DS who is currently 4 months old, no baby set though since it's so short lived. Would it be a good idea to get the FP Healthy Care Booster to use until he is ready for the Tripp Trap sans baby set, and of course, it will also be used for restaurant outings.

How early can I start putting DS in this booster? Right now he is somewhat bored with the bouncer, but does tolerate the Bumbo + tray, though I feel like he is cramped in there (not sure why I feel that way--he is only ~ 14 pounds but tall ~27 inches). So in the end, DS doesn't care for the bumbo, and I really, really don't like having him sit in the Bumbo directly on the dusty kitchen floor which I don't have time to clean nearly often enough.

Anyway, I like the idea of a FP booster, because then DS will be on an elevated surface (no need to worry about the cleanliness of the floor, which bugs me A LOT), and I will be able to put toys on the tray to keep him entertained while I am doing stuff in the kitchen before DH gets home from work.

Sorry that this is so long, but I guess my main question is how early I can start using the booster with DS and whether others have used the FP booster at home as a precursor to the Tripp Trapp? Thanks!!!

P.S. I am planning to start feeding DS solids ~ 6 months if that affects your responses to my question somehow.

candaceb
03-09-2011, 09:42 PM
I have the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair, and I think that would be a better choice. I am using it while DS is smaller, and I am on the hunt for a good deal on a Tripp Trapp for the future. I just had him in a FP Booster with tray while at a relative's house over the weekend, and he was not very stable in it. He is a little on the slow side in terms of development - not quite sitting independently at almost 7 months. I think the high chair is much more stable. In addition, he was awkwardly low in the booster for me to be feeding him - the high chair is several inches higher and I never appreciated that aspect until I tried to feed him in the booster.

new_mom_mry
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I have the Fisher Price Space Saver High Chair, and I think that would be a better choice. I am using it while DS is smaller, and I am on the hunt for a good deal on a Tripp Trapp for the future. I just had him in a FP Booster with tray while at a relative's house over the weekend, and he was not very stable in it. He is a little on the slow side in terms of development - not quite sitting independently at almost 7 months. I think the high chair is much more stable. In addition, he was awkwardly low in the booster for me to be feeding him - the high chair is several inches higher and I never appreciated that aspect until I tried to feed him in the booster.

Does this chair convert into a booster similar to the Healthy Care booster?

Also, does anyone know if the Stokke baby set for the Tripp Trapp can accommodate a baby who isn't sitting independently just yet?

brittone2
03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
DS2 used the baby set from 5 to about 8 months. We didn't start solids until he was over 6 months but would pull him up to the table with us. He was starting to sit on his own, propping up at that point, but still unsteady and toppling over. He could sit okay in the baby set although he was on the chunky side and it was a little hard to get him in/out at times. It got easier when he was a little over 6 months to get him in/out. By 8 months it was too hard to wedge him in there ;) any longer. I got a good price on the baby set and resold for most of what I paid, so I was okay with that.

new_mom_mry
03-10-2011, 03:08 PM
DS2 used the baby set from 5 to about 8 months. We didn't start solids until he was over 6 months but would pull him up to the table with us. He was starting to sit on his own, propping up at that point, but still unsteady and toppling over. He could sit okay in the baby set although he was on the chunky side and it was a little hard to get him in/out at times. It got easier when he was a little over 6 months to get him in/out. By 8 months it was too hard to wedge him in there ;) any longer. I got a good price on the baby set and resold for most of what I paid, so I was okay with that.

thanks!!! hmm....then maybe I should just get the baby set...sounds like your little guy was able to sit in it before he could sit unassisted. From what I understand though, for the FP boosters, the baby DOES need to know how to sit unassisted....right?