PDA

View Full Version : Bountiful Baskets - anyone try them?

MommyAllison
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM
A friend has just started ordering Bountiful Baskets and is pretty happy with them. Anybody try them? Any comments on quality/variety of produce? Thanks!

almostamom
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
We've been ordering from them for almost 5 years. For the most part, we've been very happy. I like that I don't have to order every week. The past 3 weeks or so, the baskets have been a bit smaller than normal. Once in awhile we'll get a few pieces that are spoiled, but that doesn't happen very often. The variety is generally pretty good. Of course, there were weeks last year when I didn't know what I would do with another ear of corn, but that's to be expected when certain items are in season. I can't think of a single week when we didn't get bananas and at least 3 out of every 4 weeks there is some kind of lettuce. There are always add ons (I think this week it was the Italian Pack plus bread, tortillas, etc.) to get a few more items. Last week I ordered maybe 10 lbs. of strawberries to make jam. I've done that with tomatoes during the summer too. They're also pretty good about having extras to go along with the holidays (they call them "hostess pack"). We've been very happy with them.

Linda

bigpassport
03-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I just started a few weeks ago. I like it! One thing that's nice is that it is a week by week committment. So if you are going to be out of town one weekend, you just don't buy that week. Also, the week by week payments make it easy on the pocket book. In my experience there are usually 5-6 fruits and 5-6 vegetables each week. There are usually 4-5 "normal" fruits and vegetables and 1-2 different things to try (e.g. coconut, jerusalem artichoke, savoy cabbage). So there is stuff you can rely on and a couple new things to try. I like it that it forces me to use up a lot of produce and try new things. I've only gotten the regular produce (i.e. not organic). I think the value is definitely there. There is a lot of produce for $16.50. The only issue I have is that sometimes the fruit isn't ripe enough to eat right away. I haven't had the extras, but they seem like a good value.