PDA

View Full Version : what are the chances this is pink eye?

lmh2402
03-09-2011, 09:03 PM
DS seemed normal, fine spirits this morning.

i, on the other hand, woke up sick as a dog. fever. massive body aches, headache like no other.

DH stayed home from work to care for DS. he took him to swimming. said nothing unusual occurred.

i noticed a lunch time that the inside corner of DS's left eye was pink. i thought maybe he had just rubbed it. or perhaps it had gotten irritated by something at the pool. he wasn't noticeably pawing at his eye.

at dinner i noticed that eye was now pink in the inside corner and spread out under the iris.

again, he wasn't really rubbing at it.

he was, however, quite irritable this afternoon. not himself.

tonight after books when he was sitting with me before bed, he was doing a lot of hard blinking and rubbing at both eyes

sooo...is this how pink eye might start? or is there some other common eye thing that it might be?

thanks

daisymommy
03-09-2011, 10:31 PM
It is more likely that you both have a virus, and it is coming out through your eye--yes, I know that sounds weird, but it does happen. The inflammation and mucous can come out your eyes!

But yeah, if he rubbed any snot from his nose into his eyes, that could cause pink eye too.

I would get some Simalsan pink eye relief drops (Walmart, health food store). Unless it gets really bad and crusty, then you need antibiotics.
OR if you are still nursing you can use breastmilk instead of the Simalsan drops. Just pump some into a clean bottle, and use an eye dropper. Breastmilk is anti-viral, antibacterial, and antifungal and will help kill any bacteria in his eyes.

american_mama
03-10-2011, 11:49 AM
My first thought was that his eyes were irritated from the swimming pool, and that it either worsened or he rubbed his eyes from the initial pool irritated and started a vicious cycle. Either way, I see you posted 14 hours ago, so you probably know now whether your DS has pink eye. My DS and I are getting over it, and someone else posted here about it while we had it, and Jeana (jbaxter) posted the shortest and simplest answer to the pink eye question. "You'll know in the morning."

AnnieW625
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
It may not be pink eye but it could just be an allergy or an irritation, but I would take him to the dr. just to make sure because you will more than likely need a prescription for infant eye drops. I am currently dealing with a very mild case of this right now (no crusties, runniness or swelling so most likely just an allergy), and went to pick up some drops to keep at my desk, and the one I am using called Ketotifen Fumate by Akorn is not for children under the age of 3. I have RX strength at home for DD1 and I use those too and it clears up really fast.

FWIW, When I first had pink eye 4 yrs. ago where my eyes crusted up and swelled I did my round of RX eye drops for seven days and then it went to the other eye and since I was at work I ran and got the Simalson drops and it made it 10x worse than the original infection. I ended up having to go home so IMHO I would just go straight to the dr. and get the RX.