PDA

View Full Version : anyone used a furminator on a cat?

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-10-2011, 01:24 AM
just wondering. our marmalade is about 17 years old now and very arthritic and so she's having trouble grooming herself. Since she's old and grumpy it's important that each stroke of the brush counts since I think it hurts her and after awhile she tries to bite. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever used one of these things and what you thought of it.
Thanks.

SkyrMommy
03-10-2011, 09:07 AM
We had used it on our Maine Coon before we lost her, she couldn't groom herself because of cancer on her tongue and in her mouth. She tolerated it for a shorter period than her other brushes, but it worked wonders. I found short, very light strokes in small areas at a time were easier for her. A flea comb also worked great keeping her coat up to par, not that she had fleas, but the fine comb worked through her tangles easily.

BabyBearsMom
03-10-2011, 10:29 AM
We use it for one of our cats. She is obese so she doesn't clean herself, and she is not the nicest cat in the world. It works really well. After a couple of minutes of brushing I usually have a huge pile of fur. I got it on Amazon for a lot less than they sell it at Petsmart though.

noodle
03-10-2011, 11:18 AM
We have used it on our old and sensitive cat with great -- and lasting -- results.
I got ours from Amazon as well.

cntrymoon2
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I've used it on 6 different cats, with varying results. Some tolerate it better than others (2 wouldn't even let me comb them for a minute). I don't find that it removes cat-sized piles of fur like the commercials would show, but it does a better job than anything else out there. I agree with the PP who suggested buying it cheaper on amazon. Don't pay full retail price, it goes on sale all the time. I think it's a good tool to have in the arsenal, but don't be surprised if your sensitive skinned kitty can't handle it.