PDA

View Full Version : can't kick this sinus infection

Tondi G
03-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I am on my 2nd round of antibiotics to try to kick this sinus infection. First Omnicef and now Augmentin.

I have taken sudafed, mucinex, saline drops, Alkalol, tried the netipot a few times but it makes my ears feel really strange. I went in monday and was given a rx antihystamine spray and Nasonex (twice a day). sorry tmi but my mucus is still green.

I haven't felt this wiped out (almost a dizzy, completely drained/fatigued) by a sinus infection before. My ENT was talking about a CT scan of my sinuses but honestly I am not really interested in trying to go to surgery (really can't afford it). I asked him if taking a sample and culturing to find out if it's some bacteria that these antibiotics aren't covering would be worth it and he said these 2 antibiotics should be able to kick whatever might be residing in my sinuses and a culture isn't necessary.

I don't know if I should go back to this doctor or try to make an appointment with another ENT.

I just went to a vitamin store and purchased some colloidal silver nasal spray and and considering giving it a go.... a little nervous about those stories online about people turning grey. Is there anything I am missing? Anyone have bad sinus infections and have any suggestions for me???? I'm willing to try homeopathics, meds whatever.

thanks
~Tondi

chottumommy
03-10-2011, 05:21 PM
You can try a good acupuncturist. That's the only thing that helped me clear my sinuses after a flu a few weeks back. I was so miserable, and the antibiotics did nothing.

And make sure your diet does not contain things which increase mucous production - dairy, bananas are the biggest culprits. Eat soups with lots of pepper.

bubbaray
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Avelox or Biaxin XL are the only things that work for me, Avelox works the best. Its contraindicated for BFg if you are doing that, though.

ETA: IIRC, Augmentin is what we call Clavulin. It did squat for my SIs

brittone2
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I have never tried the xylitol nasal spray, but it might be worth a shot. Xlear makes one IIRC.
http://www.xlear.com/nasal-spray.aspx

Feel better soon. Sounds like it has been awful!! :hug:

doberbrat
03-10-2011, 05:26 PM
my chiro adjusts the bones in my face after a sinus infection.

also, have you tried raw garlic? (eaten, not put up your nose ;) thats my go to cure for stuff these days. take a few cloves of garlic and mince then cover w/raw apple cider vinegar. I've heard people say to drink it like that but eww..... but on salad its really not so bad.

Tondi G
03-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I am going to call my chiropractor and see if they can see me tomorrow.... there is a new acupuncturist in the office too so I will see if can make a back to back appointment.

I didn't know Xylitol would do anything for sinuses .... when I think Xylitol I think tooth. interesting.

Tondi G
03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
Avelox or Biaxin XL are the only things that work for me, Avelox works the best. Its contraindicated for BFg if you are doing that, though.

ETA: IIRC, Augmentin is what we call Clavulin. It did squat for my SIs

Melissa ... I just read some scary stuff on Avelox and levaquin .... something about people having tendons rupture (and other side effects) from taking this class of antibiotics. check this out

http://www.antibiotics.org/

bubbaray
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Yes, that is a rare side effect.

I have taken Avelox many many times in the past 3 years. If the other drugs are not working, its your only choice according to my ENT.

pinkmomagain
03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Melissa ... I just read some scary stuff on Avelox and levaquin .... something about people having tendons rupture (and other side effects) from taking this class of antibiotics. check this out

I recently took Levaquin to clear up a sinus infection and have taken it several times before and I've never had a problem with it personally.

This last time they put my on bioxin first (they said it is really strong for sinus infections) but I could not tolerate it at all. It was as if I ingested razorblades. After a couple of days I switched to the Leaquin. It did take until the last dose to feel like I finally got rid of the last of the infection.

Tondi G
03-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I recently took Levaquin to clear up a sinus infection and have taken it several times before and I've never had a problem with it personally.

This last time they put my on bioxin first (they said it is really strong for sinus infections) but I could not tolerate it at all. It was as if I ingested razorblades. After a couple of days I switched to the Leaquin. It did take until the last dose to feel like I finally got rid of the last of the infection.

yikes.... thats scary. I've had a bad enough reaction to the Augmentin.... tasting metal and feeling queezy enough that I just am basically eating enough so I can take the meds. silver lining is that I think I may have lost a little weight. I am so tired of taking antibiotics. I just want this infection GONE... tired of feeling sick and tired and having my face and teeth ache.

bubbaray
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Well, this is JMHO, but I now have chronic sinus infections all dating back to 2008 when I was still BFg DD#2. I got a SI, my GP treated it for 6m with BFg-friendly antibiotics. She told me early on that I needed Avelox but she would not Rx it until I weaned DD#2 (and she is a VERY pro BFg doc). Finally after 5.5 m, I was so sick and fed up that I weaned DD#2 (17m), went in 2 d later and got the Avelox. It worked like magic. Now, b/c I've been on it so much it d/n work as quickly, but it still works.

ENTs view Avelox as a last resort. My ENT was not happy that I had been on Avelox a few times before I was sent to him. Nor was he happy that I had been put on it without a culture being done. However, the next SI I got, I went in, got a culture, and he gave me an Rx for Avelox. So, my GP was right, it was the right choice.

In January 2011, my ENT did Rx Biaxin XL for another SI. This was after my respirologist had given me Biaxin XL last summer for a lung problem. Frankly, I don't think the Biaxin works nearly as well as the Avelox does, but YMMV.

ETA: My ENT also says that regular Biaxin does not work for SIs. It has to be Biaxin XL (which is somehow different). He Rxs that for 21d. IIRC, the Avelox is 14d.

ThreeofUs
03-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Regular use of the neti pot. This was the only thing that saved me from sinus infections this winter. Sounds odd and out there, but it works better than anything else I've found.

Tons of good research supports this. Look up "nasal irrigation".

bubbaray
03-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Neti pots won't cure an active SI. They are an adjunct therapy and, according to some, preventative. However, if the OP still has symptoms of an active SI after 2 rounds of antiobitics, she needs a different antibiotic to eliminate the bacteria she currently is hosting.

ThreeofUs
03-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Around here, a lot of ENT (esp the surgeons) docs recommend that folks with intransigent sinus infections ditch the abx for a week and irrigate 3-4 times a day with a good, warm saline solution in a neti pot.

The reasons, they say, are to flush out the mucus and bacteria build-up and allow the body to regroup before smacking the infection with another abx.

I can't speak to this - I'm not an expert in the Ear Nose Throat field - except to say that it worked for me. My doc said it might have been that I had a viral, not bacterial, infection - apparently many nasal infections are not bacterial. http://archotol.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/133/3/260

georgiegirl
03-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Levaquin for me. Augmentin helped for a week but it came back quickly. I need to see an ENT since I get them all the time.

vludmilla
03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
My doctor told me that recurrent sinus infections or those that don't seem to clear up in a reasonable amount of time could be a sign of gastroenterological problems like reflux, etcetera. It might be worth mentioning to your doctor.

MSWR0319
03-10-2011, 09:19 PM

Avelox is my lifesaver! I've had it a couple of times and Levaquin once and never had problems. I was a little nervous taking them, but had no other choice. Once you get cleared up, try using a Neti Pot once every few days or so to help kep your sinus cavity clean.

Kindra178
03-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Welcome to my world. I get better for three days or so on antibiotics and then I am literally sick again. Just took my first Avelox right now.

A few things my doc suggested: look for food triggers. He suggested eliminating dairy, and/or carbs and/or red wine. Sucks!

Tondi G
03-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I think I got hit with a second bug right as I was finishing my round of Omnicef. It seemed to be clearing but wasn't completely knocked out. I finally got a call back from my ENT ... got the Augmentin and then 2 days later started in with whatever it was my 5 yr old had ... Flu or I don't know... but there were 10 children out sick from his Kindergarten class. The second bug took me down... and the infection just blossomed despite being on the Augmentin.

I used my neti pot again this afternoon and cleared out a lot of green stuff. It's been a couple of hours and the pressure is building in my cheek.... I think I need to take some Tylenol or advil again. Well I have my appt. with the ENT tomorrow afternoon.... we'll see what he says when I tell him things really haven't improved.

Thanks everyone. I am so glad to hear that there are people who have taken Avelox and Levaquin and not had horror story side effects. I hope we can get a handle on this infection cause I am really tired of it all. Not looking forward to another long round of daily pills.