PDA

View Full Version : Why are you excited about the IPad?

Dream
03-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Please tell me....

DH wants to get me an Ipad. But I fail to see the big deal about it and keep refusing. I have a laptop that I'm happy with and mostly will be using it at home. From what I understand, a laptop can pretty much do what the Ipad does not the other way around. DH thinks with DD2 on the way I will find the Ipad more useful, less bulky. Honestly.. I'm not sure.

I would like to hear why you're looking forward to it?

smiles33
03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
I have the first gen iPad and LOOOOOVE it. Never use my laptop unless I have to now. Partly because the laptop is too heavy to move around the house when my DDs decide they want to go upstairs to play or run outside to play. Now that they're old enough to play together, I can actually surf while they're using sidewalk chalk, "reading" books to one another, drawing, etc.

Definitely would not use an iPad for work purposes (the touchscreen keyboard wouldn't be fun for intense word processing) but perfectly fine for posting on message boards.

Plus, I bring my iPad when we travel. On our last kid-less trip, used it at the airport, in the hotel before DH woke up, etc.

mackmama
03-10-2011, 05:33 PM
I feel the same way. I have a laptop and use it a lot. I love all things apple but the iPad seems redundant. Curious to hear the responses.

mmommy
03-10-2011, 05:45 PM
I commute a long distance on public transportation and would like to use that time to answer emails, catch up on the news, etc. I don't like to take my laptop because it gets heavy to carry, I NEED it and would be in terrible shape if something happened to it, and it can be cumbersome to use on a subway. So far I've been using my iPhone, but I'm not getting any younger and I'm finding that little screen harder and harder to look at for a longer period of time. So, I think an iPad would be a good solution for me.
No way would I spend the money if I wasn't going to use it out of the house though.

larig
03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
you don't have to take them out of your bag when traveling!! I don't have one of those fancy laptop bags that you can just leave the laptop in, so I'm looking forward to traveling with one (I am getting dh's old gen 1, and he's getting a gen 2).

Facetime is really a great little program. I think it will look great on an ipad2. When DS and I travel to see the grandparents, we'll be able to stay in touch visually.

DS loves the ipad. He's 2.5 and he's really into so many of the games--one a number and letter tracing game, counting and number sense, puzzles (like wooden ones, where you manipulate the pieces). (my master's degree is in instructional technology, but I still pick things that are fun too, like an old macdonald game).

I can watch netflix movies on it. I can watch my own movies on it.

It's battery life for watching movies will last DS for two flights across the country, unlike a portable dvd player we had.

it's a kindle, but I don't have to carry an extra device.

By the time I'm ready to get a new one it will still be a useful device for DS.

ETA: Apps, apps, apps.

SkyrMommy
03-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Some of my excitement is the 'geek factor' but I've looked into incorporating the iPad into my everyday things too.

I'll be able to use quite a few of the apps to add to my studio work.

The ipad is going to be a much sleeker portfolio to bring with me to galleries than the laptop presentation or even my old leather page portfolio.

Reading... reading... reading... I can't wait to use the reader.

Cooking apps & Martha Stewart right at my fingertips without the bulky pages of a magazine on my kitchen counter or craft table.

Facetime while traveling.

DD entertainment and learning when traveling. The battery life will last us for most flights and some of the longer driving times that we do sometimes.

LD92599
03-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I got mine the day it came out (at the 5th Ave Apple Store - exciting!!) as an early push present last year.

You will LOVE it w/ #2. Much moreso than a laptop. I grab it when nursing; even though it's delicate its not like holding a laptop.

I just sold mine today in anticipation of the new one tomorrow, so i'm using my MBP now. Granted i don't do a whole lot of actual typing on the ipad, mostly surfing, facebook, games, reading books, etc.

The sleekness is great, not having to wait for it to "start" is great too! Lightweight..it's always on, battery lasts forever!

mezzona
03-10-2011, 09:43 PM
i dont need an ipad but dh does. he uses the ipad mostly to read forums and watch videos. yes, his laptop can do that too, but his laptop is too big/heavy to use in bed comfortably, laying down. his iphone, too small for that purpose.

dd uses the ipad a lot -- she has learned to use it so quickly. it's very intuitive, i think. on the other hand, she cant figure out the nuances of the laptop track pad. she keeps touching the screen instead! i also think that the ipad is more sturdy and small enough for her.

i think the ipad really does function as a device between the iphone and a laptop, and i would only find it useful if neither fulfilled certain requirements sufficiently.

that said, my iphone and laptop is good enough for me.

JBaxter
03-10-2011, 09:46 PM
I read on it all the time. Well that is when I get a turn from my 2yr old who is all into the Preschool prep , monkey lunch box vocal zoo apps not to mention surfing youtube.

mezzona
03-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I read on it all the time. Well that is when I get a turn from my 2yr old who is all into the Preschool prep , monkey lunch box vocal zoo apps not to mention surfing youtube.

yeah no kidding, the first gen ipad is going to DD. we never get our turn! plus it is built so sturdily! i think the ipad2 looks a little too fragile for the hands of a toddler...

JBaxter
03-10-2011, 10:20 PM
yeah no kidding, the first gen ipad is going to DD. we never get our turn! plus it is built so sturdily! i think the ipad2 looks a little too fragile for the hands of a toddler...

DH and I laughed about iPad2. We would think ours was super thin if it was ever freed from the Otterbox defender cover. The new "thinner" version is no big deal to me because it to would be incased in the otterbox defender.

Dream
03-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Great feedback. I see all of you that owns it use it for variety of things. My problem is that as far as I can see I'll use it basically for surfing which I'm doing right now with my google phone.

You can't play dvd right? So only youtube?

liamsmom
03-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I have been wavering between getting a Nook color and the Ipad. I don't have a laptop, so either would be used to surf the web. Can the Ipad read ebooks downloaded from the library (using epub)?

kijip
03-12-2011, 01:16 PM
For us, it ended up totally replacing our home laptop use. So it was not extra, as in we did not replace our laptop. I have a laptop from work that I use for only work things and I pretty much avoid doing that at home much. 2 years ago we had 3 computers in the house- an old desktop for kid stuff, and a Mac Book Pro for each of us. Now we have a single iMac and a single iPad. We traded in one MacBook Pro for the iMac and we are thinking of giving the second one to my dad but it is currently totally unused.

Also, I have T use it a lot for homeschooling- there are great educational apps and he can sit and read things off the web while he is working on something at the table, like look up a fact about John Adams.

We also have Hulu Plus so we can watch some tv shows without paying for cable.

JBaxter
03-12-2011, 01:28 PM
For us, it ended up totally replacing our home laptop use. So it was not extra, as in we did not replace our laptop. I have a laptop from work that I use for only work things and I pretty much avoid doing that at home much. 2 years ago we had 3 computers in the house- an old desktop for kid stuff, and a Mac Book Pro for each of us. Now we have a single iMac and a single iPad. We traded in one MacBook Pro for the iMac and we are thinking of giving the second one to my dad but it is currently totally unused.

Also, I have T use it a lot for homeschooling- there are great educational apps and he can sit and read things off the web while he is working on something at the table, like look up a fact about John Adams.

We also have Hulu Plus so we can watch some tv shows without paying for cable.

Not sure what level your little guy is on but Preschool Prep has some fun Meet the colors, shapes, letter apps. The Meet the vowels app is free the others are I think .99 Jack has been having fun with them lately

kijip
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Not sure what level your little guy is on but Preschool Prep has some fun Meet the colors, shapes, letter apps. The Meet the vowels app is free the others are I think .99 Jack has been having fun with them lately

I will have to look at that Preschool app at some point. Thanks for the tip.

TwinFoxes
03-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Great feedback. I see all of you that owns it use it for variety of things. My problem is that as far as I can see I'll use it basically for surfing which I'm doing right now with my google phone.

Well, you can stream netflix, watch ABC shows, and use Amazon on demand (those are just the ones I know and use regularly). You can't use DVDs, but that doesn't bother me because we don't own any, I can buy movies via iTunes and watch them on the ipad that way.

Plus it has all those cool apps. :)

ETA: plus with your new DD on the way, you can video Skype people, or FaceTime them if they have an iPad or iPhone, and show off your LO via the built in camera

mezzona
03-12-2011, 03:30 PM
I have been wavering between getting a Nook color and the Ipad. I don't have a laptop, so either would be used to surf the web. Can the Ipad read ebooks downloaded from the library (using epub)?

yes, you can drag the ebook into your itunes library. 2 of my library systems (i have 3) use overdrive, and overdrive has an app that is pretty good. hth.

mezzona
03-12-2011, 03:33 PM

here's what we do when we have a dvd and would prefer to watch it on the ipad: we burn the dvd, store the file on the desktop computer, and use airvideo to stream unto the ipad.

liamsmom
03-12-2011, 03:42 PM
yes, you can drag the ebook into your itunes library. 2 of my library systems (i have 3) use overdrive, and overdrive has an app that is pretty good. hth.

here's what we do when we have a dvd and would prefer to watch it on the ipad: we burn the dvd, store the file on the desktop computer, and use airvideo to stream unto the ipad.

Thank you! I've never been a techy person--don't even own an Ipod, but I've been really intrigued by the Ipad. I think we're going to go for one once the tax return check comes in. I don't mind being on a waiting list.

FWIW, when DH and I began researching minivans, lots of people suggested skipping the built-in DVD player and getting an Ipad instead. You can install a frame to position it wherever you want--good for RF kids in carseats--and the quality of the screen is better.

towerner
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM

Not sure about the nook color, specifically, but please note that the glare on the iPad is terrible if you go outside. I love my iPad, but find it difficult to see even if I'm sitting on the couch with our blinds open at certain times of the day. I know that the kindle is known for the fact that it will not have glare even in bright sunlight. Somehing to think about if you're looking for a reader and plan to do any outdoor reading.

larig
03-12-2011, 05:02 PM

the new iOS will allow you to browse to them in a tab in itunes. airvideo not necessary if you're using either ipad (and newer 3gs and newer phones).

kboyle
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM

i just found out that Overdrive Media which is what powers our library uses has an app...it's awesome! i have a nook and have to sideload it via usb (ie drag and drop once its downloaded into adobe digital editions) with this within the app you find your library, find the book and if it's available you can actually download it to your ipad...no need to hook to itunes!! my poor nook :( if i'm reading outside (while kids are playing or to the pool) i will bring my nook cause the eink is glare-free, plus i have a waterproof thingy for it, but in the house i do use the ipad for reading.

i ♥ the ipad...my mom is actually buying ours and we are using that $$ to get the ipad2. i love that i don't have to wait for the computer or netbook to boot up and then mozilla to boot up just to get online...with the ipad you push the home button to wake it up and ta-da...you're online!

BayGirl2
03-13-2011, 06:10 PM
I've had my iPad since Mother's Day. I use it daily, even though I have in iPhone and a work and home laptop. Here's how I use it:
- Reading before bed - either a book, magazine, or website
- Check my email and calendar when I wake up in the morning from bed - determines my urgency of getting into my home office some days
- Check my email and reply when I'm moving around the house in various rooms
- Watch TV while doing mundane tasks like folding laundry in my closet
- Look up stuff on the internet in the middle of a discussion
- View recipes online while in the kitchen cooking
- Let DS play games on weekend mornings when he climbs into bed with us (gets us some extra sleep)
- Add to my Grocery IQ list while in the kitchen (syncs with my and DH's phones)
- Read and watch TV while traveling, I always have my current selection of books and magazines with me

There is more, but that's the daily stuff. It travels around the house with me and I rarely use my iPhone for apps or internet anymore, its just no fun on the little screen.

peanut520
03-13-2011, 08:25 PM
the main reason i am excited because it will be one less bin at the airport if i want to chat with dd when i travel. dont get me wrong i lover the sytle, portablity, ther sleekness and all the nifty features, but it will never replace my macbook. i am actually considering getting a macbook pro too, but i think i can wait. it is basically a big ipod to me. and entertainment while waiting for meals to arrive at restaurants for dd too.