PDA

View Full Version : * TEST RESULTS BACK -Update *Is anyone else tired ALL the time? Or is it just me?

artvandalay
03-10-2011, 06:21 PM
**Update in post 87**

-----------------------------------------------

Hi guys. New update today (Thursday 3/17) I received a phone call from my doctor with my test results. I am Vitamin D deficient. She said my level was 20, and she would like to see it at least 32. I need to do some research on all of this. She told me to "get more sun" and take 500mg of Vit D daily, come back in 2 months and get retested. She didn't seem convinced that this is the reason for my fatigue... but I have read it's a symptom, so... who knows.

My thyroid panel and CBC came back normal. I'm really glad I pressed her to check my Vit. D, she originally did not want to take it. Here's the thyroid results

TSH - 3.240
T4 - 7.1
T3 Uptake -32

Getting sunlight in winter is next to impossible. We did go on the bike path yesterday and got some sun, but it was almost 60 degrees yesterday. I always wear an SPF on my face/neck everyday (even in winter)...now I'm wondering if I shouldn't do this? I do drink at least 3 glasses of milk a day.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all the responses and concern. It really means so much to me. I hope I will start feeling better soon (if this is indeed the culprit).

PS: Anyone out there Vit D deficient? How did you treat it? Also I just looked at my prenatal vitamins (which I take daily because I am nursing.... it contains 400 IU of Vit D.. so I will end up taking 900 (IU?) of Vit D a day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Update today (Friday)**

Just saw my PCP. I had bloodwork drawn. My doctor ordered a CBC, Thyroid Panel (all 3, thanks boolady), and Vit D level. She was hesitant to order the Vit D. She said insurance won't cover Vit D typically with a diagnosis of fatigue. I kept pressing her about it because I've always worried about it, so she ordered it. She did not order labs on hormones. She said because I'm not menopausal, ins. won't cover. Also she said because I"m still nursing, they will be kinda screwey. Hopefully I get results Monday or Tuesday, so I'll let you guys know what the results are. I'm hopeful I will get some answers.....thanks everyone :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My H seems to think there is something really wrong with me. Ever since I had DD (9 months ago) I have serious fatigue. I feel that after lunch time I have zero energy. It's really affecting everything. The fact that it is dreary and winter is not helping.

I have one coffee in the morning, and because I am still nursing my baby, I can't have any more caffeine. I could easily fall asleep by 8:30 each night. My friends don't see me at night anymore, we have a monthly book club, and I'm so tired by 7:30 each night I just want to crash on the couch.

Is my exhaustion related to nursing? Or should I have something checked at the doctor? The last few nights DD was only up once to nurse, and yet I am still exhausted. I am pretty sure I had my thyroid checked a year or so ago, and it was ok. Also could this have something do do with Vitamin D deficiency? I live in the Midwest and obviously not getting any sun right now... I am taking prenatals and drink lots of milk.

Should I ask my doctor to run a certain test on me?

Anyone else feel the same way?

SnuggleBuggles
03-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Blood tests, like thyroid, would be a good start. People with Hypothyroid are often exhausted feeling. It is an easy one to start with- and treat. It could be all sorts of things but that and whatever else the Dr. recommends would be good.

Beth

sidmand
03-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes and possibly no. I feel tired all the time too and they've run every test they can think of and it seems to be that I'm just going to be tired all the time. I have always needed a lot of sleep and after kids I get up multiple times a night to go to the bathroom or because they cry and wake me up (and I was always a light sleeper anyway). I need 9-10 hours of sleep/night and it's just never going to happen.

Maybe there is something physically wrong but they haven't found it yet. So maybe it's not just you but maybe there is something that can be fixed.

ABO Mama
03-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Do have your thyroid checked. It can change, especially after birth.

And, with love, could you have PPD?

momm
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
I second checking your blood levels and thyroid - they change after pregnancy and delivery

Have you gone to your PCP?

Good luck. Hugs

left210
03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Just went thru this. I was already on thyroid medicine but still tired. They checked my hormones and I had zero progesterone. I am already feeling better after one week of the progesterone. Also, new dr. said thyroid levels need to be between 2 and 3 and you need to not only have tsh check but also t3 and t4. Hormones need to check estradiol, progesterone and testosterone. Also hormone levels effect thyroid. When hormone levels are out of wack it messes up alot of things and how you feel. Good luck with finding the answer.

PS - some doctors think tsh at 3.5 to 4 is normal but the new research supports it should be under 3 so if yours is above that and your dr. says it is normal then find another dr. to talk to about it. My PCP would not increase my thyroid med when it was at 3.7 but my new dr. did and I am feeling better.

ezcc
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I always feel especially tired this time of year, but a few other things that tend to cause this for me-
anemia- I tend towards this, so I try and remember to have a little extra red meat if I am feeling more tired than usual. Easy for dr. to check.
dehydration- in winter I tend to forget to drink enough water. This really, really makes me tired. If I'm feeling tired I usually make myself drink a big glass of water.
exercise- if I'm not getting enough I feel tired. I'm almost never getting enough, and it drives me crazy when I'm feeling exhausted and dh keeps telling me to go to the gym, but it does actually help.
And not getting a full night's sleep- even if you're only getting up once-can be really draining esp. added up over time.

artvandalay
03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
And, with love, could you have PPD?

This has crossed my mind. I don't think so. I've never had it with my other pregnancies. Something is definitely different ever since giving birth. I also have zero interest in sex (not sure if this is the fatigue or something else).

Other than my fatigue, I don't have mood swings.... but every now and then I do feel a little "blue". I just figure that it's probably my period coming back... but I have not had my period yet. I haven't had a period since August 2009.

boolady
03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I know you said you had your thyroid checked a year or so ago, but I don't know if you mean before or after your most recent birth. If you haven't had it checked, with a full thyroid workup, since giving birth, I think you should get one.

artvandalay
Hormones need to check estradiol, progesterone and testosterone. Also hormone levels effect thyroid. When hormone levels are out of wack it messes up alot of things and how you feel. Good luck with finding the answer.

This is really interesting. I didn't think about checking hormones.

I called my PCP and they are seeing me tomorrow.

I am going to ask her to check:

Hormone levels
Thyroid
Iron Levels
Vitamin D levels (I worry I might be deficient.. and I looked it up and it said fatigue could be a symptom)

Am I missing anything?

Oh and regarding exercise... I exercised very early in the post partum period, but ever since this fatigue set in, I haven't done a thing. DD just started crawling and she hates being in an exercauser/pack n Play. The only "free" time I get during the day is when she naps... and I just zone out during those times, or I'm playing with DS2 or something. I agree I feel alot better when I exercise. I wish I had the energy to start it up again.

BabyH
Thyroid Test...
PPD Discussion...
Sleep Study...

in that order. PM me if you want details about my experience (this was pre-pregnancy, though....)

*ETA - but if you do decide there are some baby blues going on, and you and your doctor think medication would be a beneficial treatment, make sure to thoroughly discuss the different options. Some have norepinephrine, which helps with fatigue, others don't and could possibly make you feel even more tired.

artvandalay
03-10-2011, 08:17 PM
I know you said you had your thyroid checked a year or so ago, but I don't know if you mean before or after your most recent birth. If you haven't had it checked, with a full thyroid workup, since giving birth, I think you should get one.

I haven't checked it since giving birth. I haven't seen my PCP in a really long time because I am generally pretty healthy. I will ask for a full thyroid workup.

BabyH
03-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I haven't checked it since giving birth. I haven't seen my PCP in a really long time because I am generally pretty healthy. I will ask for a full thyroid workup.

FWIW, my PCP likes to test mine about every 3 months.

bostonsmama
03-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Hugs--parenting can be exhausting, even 9 mos out. DD is 4mos and my thyroid is 0.45 right now (on Synthroid for that), and there are days when I'm wiped! I wake up at 5am and crash at 8pm. I get 8 hours of interrupted sleep, usually, but it's exhausting to be so hands-on w/ your kiddo. So, if the TSH doesn't reveal anything, don't feel too abnormal.

boolady
03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I will ask for a full thyroid workup.

Make sure you ask him to do a TSH, T3 and T4. Sometimes they just order a TSH and you really need to make sure all three things are checked.

veronica
03-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Definitely vitamin D. Not only can it make you more fatigued but can also affect mood a lot too.

boolady
03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Definitely vitamin D. Not only can it make you more fatigued but can also affect mood a lot too.

This is a great point, too.

Twoboos
03-10-2011, 08:32 PM
I started a similar thread back in November!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=378765

And yes I am still tired. I cannot seem to go to bed early (like before 11), and someone is always waking me up - DH or DDs.

I started going to acupuncture, which has helped. Apparently my spleen and liver are all out of whack! I recommend looking into it. I need to get back to exercising!!!!

I have my yearly dr appt and plan to ask for a full thyroid (all 3, thank you Boolady, usually they only do 1) and vit D levels. Of course I can't get an appt until May, sigh.

artvandalay
03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Twoboos - I will try and read your thread after the kids are in bed tonite..thanks!

Also - I just asked DH to pick up a pregnancy test on the way home from work. I highly doubt I am pg - I have not been in the mood at all - and we've been super careful... but I'm just trying to cross things off the list. The way I am feeling now is similar to the way I always feel in the 1st trimester. And, like I said, I still have not had a period, but I know that's because of the nursing.

I also want to thank every one of you.. I've read all the responses and I am writing down all these suggestions to talk to the doctor tomorrow.

MSWR0319
03-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Definitely get your thyroid checked, i had the exact same problem and put it off until about 15 mo pp. I finally went in and my TSH was "normal" but my T4 was off. She put me on synthroid and I started feeling better. Sex drive even started coming back. BUT she moved and sent me to an endo and he said I didn't need anything because my TSH was 4.85, normal under old standards, so he took me off. Four months later I feel AWFUL again. Tired, no sex drive, cold, irritable. It's ridiculous. I need to find a doctor that will treat me to the 2-3 range.

MSWR0319
03-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Just went thru this. I was already on thyroid medicine but still tired. They checked my hormones and I had zero progesterone. I am already feeling better after one week of the progesterone. Also, new dr. said thyroid levels need to be between 2 and 3 and you need to not only have tsh check but also t3 and t4. Hormones need to check estradiol, progesterone and testosterone. Also hormone levels effect thyroid. When hormone levels are out of wack it messes up alot of things and how you feel. Good luck with finding the answer.

PS - some doctors think tsh at 3.5 to 4 is normal but the new research supports it should be under 3 so if yours is above that and your dr. says it is normal then find another dr. to talk to about it. My PCP would not increase my thyroid med when it was at 3.7 but my new dr. did and I am feeling better.

Thank you for this. My TSH is 4.85 and I can't find a doctor to treat me since my old be left. They even took me off synthroid because it's under 5, which is normal according to the labs. I need to go back to finding a doctor that will treat
me so I feel better! Is your doctor an endo or a PCP?

wendibird22
03-11-2011, 11:13 AM
I can totally relate. DD2 is 15mos and I'm exhausted. I had a regular check up back in Oct with my PCP and mentioned fatigue and she checked the various thyroid levels, Vit D, anemia, etc and everything came back normal but she did run the thyroid levels again 3 months later as she explained that sometimes the symptoms precede a change in the values. At 3mos later they were still normal. She suggested more rest (funny...I have 2 kids one who wakes me up at least 2x's a night and one who starts her day at 5am), exercise (I started doing 30mins of cardio 5x's a week), and continuing my multivitamin. She did say that BF (I still nurse DD2 2-3x's at night) could be a major contributor. I plan to follow up with her if by this summer the fatigue is unchanged after I get more time outside in the sun and warm air.
:hug: It's tough wanting/needing to go to bed at 8:30 (and I do frequently!) and feel like you are missing out on living your life.

khalloc
03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I am tired alot. DH says he has never met anyone as tired as me. LOL

I dont know that its that bad though. I mean, I do work all day without a problem. I just tend to go to bed early. like 9ish. I've always needed 8 hours of sleep at least. Sometimes I am tired alot during the day, but i make it thru.

I had my thyroid checked back in 2007 when I had a real problem with arthritis. I had 1 child at that time. I had another in 2008 but havent had my thyroid checked again. My mom's side of the fam (her sisters) are on thyroid meds, so maybe I should.

DebbieJ
03-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Today is beautiful and sunny--get out and take a walk even if it's just around the block once.

Let us know what happens when you see your doc.

(((HUGS)))

artvandalay
03-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Today is beautiful and sunny--get out and take a walk even if it's just around the block once.

Let us know what happens when you see your doc.

(((HUGS)))

Thank you Debbie. It is a nice, sunny day today, isn't it? I will probably take the kids out after school.

I saw my doctor today, I have an update in my original post.

tiapam
03-14-2011, 01:07 AM
I am tired alot. DH says he has never met anyone as tired as me. LOL

I dont know that its that bad though. I mean, I do work all day without a problem. I just tend to go to bed early. like 9ish. I've always needed 8 hours of sleep at least. Sometimes I am tired alot during the day, but i make it thru.

I had my thyroid checked back in 2007 when I had a real problem with arthritis. I had 1 child at that time. I had another in 2008 but havent had my thyroid checked again. My mom's side of the fam (her sisters) are on thyroid meds, so maybe I should.

When it comes to family history, I really feel like it is a matter of when, not if. I would go get tested soon if I were you.

niccig
03-14-2011, 02:18 AM
Also, new dr. said thyroid levels need to be between 2 and 3 and you need to not only have tsh check but also t3 and t4.

My endo says anything under 3 is normal range, but most people feel best between 1 and 2. I am one of those people. After my thyroid surgery, it took a while to get right amount of medication and I swung from hypo to hyper and back again. I got to see where I feel best and what my symtoms are when my levels are off. First sign for me is a week of insomnia. I'm best at around 1.5 TSH Currently I'm 1.4,so good If I get over 2, I start to have symptoms again.

swrc00
03-14-2011, 03:04 AM
Just read your update and wanted to suggest something. You may want to have your B12 checked. It is a separate blood test. It could totally explain your fatigue. I hope you get answers at the doctor and don't forget to update us.

Mikey0709
03-14-2011, 09:01 AM
GREAT idea about checking b12 - and IRON! For me.... it's sugar and carbs that make me feel that way... i can eat a piece of bread or soft pretzel... and feel like i was hit by a truck. If I go low carb - i have 3x the energy - when before i was also falling asleep by 8pm!

artvandalay
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Just read your update and wanted to suggest something. You may want to have your B12 checked. It is a separate blood test. It could totally explain your fatigue. I hope you get answers at the doctor and don't forget to update us.

Thank you. I just looked this up and it said: B12 and folate are primarily ordered to help diagnose the cause of macrocytic anemia. They are ordered as follow-up tests when large RBCs and a decreased hemoglobin concentration are found during a CBC test (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/../cbc/glance.html).

She ordered a CBC test, so I will remember this if my CBC shows this. I am hoping I get a call from her office today with some results. I'm also going to ask for a copy of the lab results, because I'm curious about all this thyroid talk.. it seems there are some differing opinions on when someone should be treated or not. If I am on the low end of something I want to know.

WolfpackMom
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for posting about this, Im finally going to get off my butt and call my dr to get my levels checked again. Both my mom and sister have hypothyroidism. In 2009 my TSH was 3.91 and T4 was 1.6, both considered higher but the dr didnt want to do anything about them yet because I didnt have all of the symptoms (wasnt too tired, was thin, etc) the only thing I was having was random dizziness.

I may just go straight to the endo instead of through the drs office this time!

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Update in original post :D

lablover
03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I am currently vitamin D deficient. Do you know the conversion of 500 mg into IU? Vitamin D is usually stated in IU, for example 1,000 IU, 2,000 IU. Last year I was in the high 20 range so I started supplementing with 4,000IU daily, getting out in the sun more, and managed to get my level to around 34. That was in the summer. Then, I started focusing elsewhere and dropped my vitamin D supplements down and in January my level was 25. My gyn did the test as part of normal bloodwork. So they instructed me to take 50,000IU once a week (I am splitting the dose and taking it twice a week) and I will be retested in 3 months. Although the lab normal starts at 32, my personal goal is to get my level up to around 50. This website may give you some helpful information:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

carolinamama
03-17-2011, 09:28 AM
500 doesn't sound like much to me. I am taking 3000 IU daily plus what is in my prenatal. Not sure what my levels are at this point, but my doc and I are comfortable with this dosage. Hope getting your vit D levels up helps.

writermama
03-17-2011, 09:37 AM
keep wearing the sunscreen on your face -- skin cancer risk is a more serious problem. Also, less important in the scheme of things, wrinkles and cosmetic stuff.

If you have a smart phone, there are apps that can help you track safe sun exposure -- you can calculate how long you can be out without sunscreen based on the UV levels in your area.

trales
03-17-2011, 09:38 AM
My Vit D level last year dropped to 8, the standard treatment is 50,000 IU once per week for 3 months then recheck. It jumped up to 54, a good number. This year after doing 2,000 IU per day all year, it dropped to 20, so I am back on the prescription of 50,000 IU per week for 3 months, recheck, and then we will try 4,000IU per day for 3 months.

When I am Vit D deficient I am very tired. Your doctor does not seem to be up on the latest protocols. The 50,000 IU is a prescription.

Being vit D deficient can lead to bone loss and all kinds of other things. 32 is very low also. I would call her back with some journal articles, there have been a lot lately. I will try and link some later.

Indianamom2
03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Glad your test results came back pretty normal.

To answer your question, I am also Vitamin D deficient. I don't know my number, but if your doctor wants to see at least 32, then I must have been about a 10, because it was a third of what it should have been.

You will be absolutely fine taking 900 IU's. To compare, I'm taking 4,000 IU's a day right now...and may need more. From what I understand, it's pretty tough to overdose on Vit. D.

Also, I believe you want to look for Vit. D3 rather than just vit. D. I got mine for cheap at Sam's club. It comes in doses of 2,000 IUs /pill.

tiapam
03-17-2011, 10:02 AM
My thyroid panel and CBC came back normal. I'm really glad I pressed her to check my Vit. D, she originally did not want to take it.

I'm glad to hear you may be getting to the bottom of things. Just wanted to add that you should always get your actual thyroid test results and research them yourself. If you only got the TSH test, that also may not have been enough testing. In any case, if you don't feel better in three months, I would ask for a retest. Sometimes the symptoms show up long before test results indicate a problem, if ever.

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 10:16 AM
So I am headed to Target in a few to pick up some Vit D. How much then do u think I should get? I am a little annoyed that she doesn't seem to be up to date with current info about Vit D.... Also I am nursing - so I don't want to take too much that would be a problem for the baby.

I am going to be researching this info later today

minnie-zb
03-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Last year I tested severely deficient for Vitamin D. It was lower than yours. My doc wrote a prescription for me, it was something crazy high -- like 50,000 ius per week for 3 months? Then I dropped down to 4,000 ius per day and now I'm at 2,000 ius per day. Didn't your doctor tell you what you should be getting? Mine was pretty specific.

FYI: I also have Hashimoto's. Did she test you for Hashimoto's? I ask as my thyroid tests normal, high but normal. My doc did another test for the Hashimotos.

Taking the Vitamin D did help greatly with my energy level, but I think the treatment for the Hashimoto's has also had a big impact.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Hi guys. New update today (Thursday 3/17) I received a phone call from my doctor with my test results. I am Vitamin D deficient. She said my level was 20, and she would like to see it at least 32. I need to do some research on all of this. She told me to "get more sun" and take 500mg of Vit D daily, come back in 2 months and get retested. She didn't seem convinced that this is the reason for my fatigue... but I have read it's a symptom, so... who knows.

My thyroid panel and CBC came back normal. I'm really glad I pressed her to check my Vit. D, she originally did not want to take it.

Getting sunlight in winter is next to impossible. We did go on the bike path yesterday and got some sun, but it was almost 60 degrees yesterday. I always wear an SPF on my face/neck everyday (even in winter)...now I'm wondering if I shouldn't do this? I do drink at least 3 glasses of milk a day.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for all the responses and concern. It really means so much to me. I hope I will start feeling better soon (if this is indeed the culprit).

PS: Anyone out there Vit D deficient? How did you treat it? Also I just looked at my prenatal vitamins (which I take daily because I am nursing.... it contains 400 IU of Vit D.. so I will end up taking 900 (IU?) of Vit D a day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Update today (Friday)**

Just saw my PCP. I had bloodwork drawn. My doctor ordered a CBC, Thyroid Panel (all 3, thanks boolady), and Vit D level. She was hesitant to order the Vit D. She said insurance won't cover Vit D typically with a diagnosis of fatigue. I kept pressing her about it because I've always worried about it, so she ordered it. She did not order labs on hormones. She said because I'm not menopausal, ins. won't cover. Also she said because I"m still nursing, they will be kinda screwey. Hopefully I get results Monday or Tuesday, so I'll let you guys know what the results are. I'm hopeful I will get some answers.....thanks everyone :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My H seems to think there is something really wrong with me. Ever since I had DD (9 months ago) I have serious fatigue. I feel that after lunch time I have zero energy. It's really affecting everything. The fact that it is dreary and winter is not helping.

I have one coffee in the morning, and because I am still nursing my baby, I can't have any more caffeine. I could easily fall asleep by 8:30 each night. My friends don't see me at night anymore, we have a monthly book club, and I'm so tired by 7:30 each night I just want to crash on the couch.

Is my exhaustion related to nursing? Or should I have something checked at the doctor? The last few nights DD was only up once to nurse, and yet I am still exhausted. I am pretty sure I had my thyroid checked a year or so ago, and it was ok. Also could this have something do do with Vitamin D deficiency? I live in the Midwest and obviously not getting any sun right now... I am taking prenatals and drink lots of milk.

Should I ask my doctor to run a certain test on me?

Anyone else feel the same way?

HOnestly, I would be getting a 2nd opinion or at the very least looking into other info on dosing. It is tough to get enough vitamin D through the sun depending on where you live geographically, and how much skin you typically expose. If she really prescribed 500 iu, that is not a very high dose AT ALL to get your levels back up. I tested at 27 after taking 1000-2000iu for 1-2 years, and living in the sunny southeast. I now take 5000-6000iu to maintain my levels (not suggesting *you* do this, but that's not an uncommon dose to get levels up). When I did my research (and I suggest you look into this for yourself), I felt very comfortable with taking 5000iu-6000iu per day as a breastfeeding mom who has tested deficient in the past.

Also, 32 is the lowest end of the normal range and based on current research is probably not *optimal* in terms of impact on health. Many resources suggest 50+ is ideal.

You may want to get another opinion. I personally would be very surprised if that dosing gets you up into the normal range.

Many PCPs are just not up to date on the topic at all.

That said, there's probably a good chance that isn't what is causing your fatigue, but you would want to get your levels into a more optimal range.

veronica
03-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Hey hun, I had posted early on about Vit. D testing.

I'm normally around 13. I am given 12 week doses of Rx vitamin D and can usually get up to the high 20's.

It's a double edged sword: one of the best ways to increase vitamin D is via sun exposure. Just try 15 minutes a day with no spf on. Next source would be food. Greens are good: spinach, kale, etc.

Hugs to you. Hopefully these are the answers you need. And your Dr. does not sound sympathetic to your symptoms at all.......push for what you want tested and re-tested or change docs!!!

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Didn't your doctor tell you what you should be getting? Mine was pretty specific.

I specifically remember her saying 500. I'm assuming she meant IU's. That seems awfully low from what everyone here is saying.

I am going to research tonight after kids are in bed.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
I specifically remember her saying 500. I'm assuming she meant IU's. That seems awfully low from what everyone here is saying.

I am going to research tonight after kids are in bed.

Very low for trying to gain any ground in terms of remedying a (significant) deficiency. Keep in mind once you research, you may want to be aiming for higher than 32, which is the lowest end of the normal range but based on the most current research doesn't confer all of the benefits of having a more optimal (described by some as 50+) level.

minnie-zb
03-17-2011, 10:40 AM
I have to agree that 500 is low.

I'm sorry this isn't easy -- it stinks when you walk away with a bunch of questions.

twowhat?
03-17-2011, 10:55 AM
More people are vitamin D deficient than you think. Probably a good chunk of us here are vitamin D deficient and don't know it!

The current Institute of Medicine vitamin D recommendations are evidence-based and the consensus guidelines were updated recently:

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Calcium-and-Vitamin-D.aspx

click on "new reference values" to see a chart of recommended daily intakes for both calcium and vitamin D broken down by age. The values surprised a lot of people by being lower than expected, but it won't hurt to take more than the recommended amount, especially if you are never in the sun or always wear sunscreen, or have been tested to be vitamin D deficient. Also try to get vitamin D from the sun or from food - those are really your best sources.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Right, there's a lot of debate about whether those numbers are high enough, but if you are *already* deficient, like twowhat? said, it is a different ballgame IMO. Sun is great but not practical for many people (skin color, geography, ability to be out during peak hours, ability to get out regularly enough to impact your levels), and IMO/IME it is tough to make a big impact via food for someone already deficient.

catsnkid
03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
My doctor ran me, found me to be low, put me on 50000 once a week until I got up to acceptable in her book. I also am nursing and take a prenatal, but take 2000 per day.

Roni
03-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I'm jumping into this discussion really late, but op, you are describing really well how I've been feeling. I recently had blood work done, & my levels of everything are supposedly normal. But, one Dr. had previously told me to take 2000 iu of vitamin D per day. I am also nursing. The one thing I'm not sure about is if that means my baby doesn't need vitamin D drops (which she spits out, anyway). Her Dr. had said that it's recommended for BF babies--the protocol has gone back and forth several times, and now it's back, supposedly. I just want to send you a hug. I'm banking on spring making me feel better! I think I have some mild PPD or maybe winter blues, or both. It wouldn't surprise me if you do, too. I'm in the dreary northeast, and everyone is feeling blah these days, even those without babies.

Rainbows&Roses
03-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Sun is really not a good way to get vitamin D unless you don't take showers often. From what I understand, it is the oil produced on our skin that contains the vitamin D and if we wash it away, it doesn't help us much. I didn't really look into the mechanism of this, but it made sense to me when my DH was outside for long periods one summer w/o sunscreen and his levels were still low.

Forget getting sunshine vitamin D in most areas of the country during winter as the UV is too low for production.

I would just up the amount of D you take.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 12:05 PM
There is some newer research showing moms need at least 5000iu if not more before they can confer much D to their nursing infants.

I supplement with 5000iu-6000iu (based on my own comfort level with my own research, not suggesting you want to do this without investigating it for yourself). Now that DS2 eats solids, etc. I do some d3 drops with him. DD and DS2 take d3 as well-rainbow light chewies.

wendibird22
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
My coworker is VitD deficient and also takes the rx the PP mentioned that is a weekly dose of 50,000 for 12weeks.

chlobo
03-17-2011, 12:50 PM

You can take my advice with a grain of salt but from what I've read you want a vitamin D level of at least 50. And taking 500iu is not going to make a dent in that. I would take at least 5000iu a day or get her to rx a high dose 50,000/week. 500iu will do nothing, in my opinion. Make sure you get a supplement that is Vitamin D3. There are lots out there and should be pretty easy to find.

If your intent is to get some vitamin D from the sun then you can't wear sunscreen. And I don't believe that having just your face & neck everyday would make that great a difference. If you want to use the sun, then I would try to expose your limbs and face, without sunscreen for at least 20 minutes of direct sunlight/day.

Also, do you know what your thyroid #s are? There are lab ranges and then there are "functional" ranges. You can be within the lab ranges but not be at a functional level and therefore still have thyroid problems.

mommylamb
03-17-2011, 12:54 PM
My DH just got back blood work and he is WAY vitamin D deficient. Doctor sent him a prescription for Vitamin D. It's one pill a week, but it must be a super pill.

I actually had blood work to check my Vitamin D levels done today, so we'll see where I am. But my midwife told me that the Vitamin D in pre-nates is way too little.

AngelaS
03-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I take about 10000 iu of Vit D a day per my chiropractors recommendation. I'm due to get my levels checked and I'm curious to see where they are. :)

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Hmm. This is all very frustrating. I am going to ask for a copy of my lab results so I can actually see what my TSH, T3, T4 values are as well.

I'm gonna run over to the office in a bit and pick them up. I'll let you guys know what they are if you are curious.

zoestargrove
03-17-2011, 01:30 PM
a few years ago my doctor tested me for vitamin D. I was also really low. (in fact, he said he was finding that most people he tested were deficient) He prescribed 50,000iu to be taken once a week for 6 months.

I wish I could remember the numbers, but it did go up to within normal ranges when I was tested several months later, but not as high as I would have expected on that type of dosage.

I have read that vitamin d3 is the form that is most easily used by the body and that having it in oil is best. I bought a bottle of d3 in oil. (one drop equals 2000 ius) I don't always remember, but a few times a week I add it to my salad dressing or smoothie.

I don't have this brand, but this is the type of vitamin d supplement I use.
http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/carlson-ddrops-2000-iu-365-drops.html?ad=gbase_426

maestramommy
03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi. I got my Vit D checked 2 years ago, and it was insufficient, which is low, but not as low as deficient. My pcp recommended 1000 IU Vit D a day until the levels went up. I have since changed my pcp and she recommends all of her patients to take 1000 IU Vit D/day year round. I guess we just don't get enough sun to be able to depend on that. I'm not as good at taking it as I should be but I try to remember :)

BabyH
03-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi. I got my Vit D checked 2 years ago, and it was insufficient, which is low, but not as low as deficient. My pcp recommended 1000 IU Vit D a day until the levels went up. I have since changed my pcp and she recommends all of her patients to take 1000 IU Vit D/day year round. I guess we just don't get enough sun to be able to depend on that. I'm not as good at taking it as I should be but I try to remember :)

I remember reading somewhere that there's a definite correlation between the "safe sun" campaigns and an increased number of Vit D deficient people. It makes sense. Glad OP found what was going on. Best of luck to get to feeling great soon!

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm jumping into this discussion really late, but op, you are describing really well how I've been feeling. I recently had blood work done, & my levels of everything are supposedly normal. But, one Dr. had previously told me to take 2000 iu of vitamin D per day. I am also nursing. The one thing I'm not sure about is if that means my baby doesn't need vitamin D drops (which she spits out, anyway). Her Dr. had said that it's recommended for BF babies--the protocol has gone back and forth several times, and now it's back, supposedly. I just want to send you a hug. I'm banking on spring making me feel better! I think I have some mild PPD or maybe winter blues, or both. It wouldn't surprise me if you do, too. I'm in the dreary northeast, and everyone is feeling blah these days, even those without babies.

Thank you. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a bit of winter blues. I've been giving my baby the Iron/Vit D drops. I'm going to continue with her drops, at least until I see her pediatrician for her 1 year checkup (2 months away).

Do you feel better after taking the Vit D supplements?

daisymommy
03-17-2011, 03:28 PM
Somewhere burried in this study article are the amounts for nursing moms to confer enough Vit.D to their infants. I bookmarked a year ago...can't remember the amounts now. Edited to add: looks like 2000 IU min, 4000 is best.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2084036/

Bens Momma
03-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Glad you were able to get some answers. Hope increasing your sun exposure and vit D helps!

mytwosons
03-17-2011, 03:32 PM

Hm. I think that was my level when I tested low and I was instructed to take a much higher level of D. IIRC, it was 10,000/day for a month and then 5,000/day. After a year, I was only up to 32, so I'm increasing over 5,000 for a bit to see if I can't get it higher. From what I've read, to really get the benefits of D, you need to be 50-75.

brittone2
03-17-2011, 03:44 PM
Here's another related to maternal dosing and how much gets into breastmilk:
http://www.ajcn.org/content/80/6/1752S.long

THe researchers from Medical University of SC have done a few studies on amounts that get into breastmilk via maternal supplementation.

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 04:18 PM
OK I have my test results in my hot little hands.

They did not test for Hashimoto's (someone here had asked that)

TSH - 3.240
T4 - 7.1
T3 Uptake -32

Vit D - 20 (this was the only abnormal) the range on the sheet is 32-100. I guess that's where she came up with the number 32.

The CBC,CMP looked fine

lablover
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
I would investigate the thyroid further, given those results. Even though the lab range goes up to 5 for TSH, most people with thyroid disease feel best when their TSH is between 1 and 2. I need my TSH to be hovering around 1 to feel my best. Also, most people need their T4 to be in the upper range of normal. Do you know what the T4 range is - I can't remember. This article may help:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/newrange.htm

Any chance you can see an endocrinologist? It would also help to test for thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimoto's.

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Do you know what the T4 range is - I can't remember. This article may help:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/testsforthyroid/a/newrange.htm

Any chance you can see an endocrinologist? It would also help to test for thyroid antibodies to see if you have Hashimoto's.

The T4 range that is the reference on my lab sheet says normal is 4.5 - 12.0. I was 7.1.

Free THyroxine Index (no clue what that means) is 2.3 - normal by the standards.

I think I will start with the Vit D supplement and see how I feel. If I do not feel better in 2 months when I have a re check, I will see an endocrinologist and ask to be checked for Hashimoto's. This way I will know if the Vit D or thyroid is my problem.

*Actually, I will probably just go see an endo regardless in a couple months, because now I'm really curious.

Also thanks everyone for all of these links. I will be reading them tonight. I'm glad to have something to distract me tonight from watching more coverage of the nuclear mess and getting stressed out about it.

After I do some reading I will figure out what dose I should aim for on the Vit. D. I"m just really surprised at what a large range there is for supplement dosage (500 as recommended by my doc vs some people here saying 50,000 IU that was prescribed).

brittone2
03-17-2011, 06:02 PM
After I do some reading I will figure out what dose I should aim for on the Vit. D. I"m just really surprised at what a large range there is for supplement dosage (500 as recommended by my doc vs some people here saying 50,000 IU that was prescribed).

The big doses (50,000iu for ex) are typically only used 1x a week vs. a smaller daily dose (say 1000iu-5000iu for those trying to raise their levels)

I know there's at least one study underway looking at whether a smaller daily dose or a larger weekly dose is more effective at raising levels, because I recently came across it in my reading.

Even more confusing, there have been some reports that the supplements often contain fewer IU than advertised.

daisymommy
03-17-2011, 06:28 PM
Here's another related to maternal dosing and how much gets into breastmilk:

Taken from study above:

"Maternal vitamin D intakes of ≥4000 IU/d appear to be safe and to provide sufficient vitamin D to ensure adequate nutritional vitamin D status for both mothers and nursing infants."

artvandalay
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
The big doses (50,000iu for ex) are typically only used 1x a week vs. a smaller daily dose (say 1000iu-5000iu for those trying to raise their levels)

Yeah, I won't go anywhere near that high without a prescription. I think I'm just thinking of something a little higher than 500, especially since I'm having symptoms. I just find the range so wide.

Tondi G
03-17-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I won't go anywhere near that high without a prescription. I think I'm just thinking of something a little higher than 500, especially since I'm having symptoms. I just find the range so wide.

we buy our vit D from Trader Joes (little tiny oil capsules and are 1000iu each). My DH takes 5000 iu and I've been taking 2000 or 3000 iu daily. I am feeling rather sluggish these days trying to recover from this sinus infection and all... I could probably use more Vit D. My mom is involved in a research study at USC and the doctor she sees there said everyone should take at least 2000iu of vit D daily.

sadie427
03-17-2011, 10:09 PM
The thinking on Vitamin D has changed a lot in the past year or so and there isn't good evidence for low-normal Vitamin D levels causing fatigue. There were a lot of doctors out there suggesting levels of 40-60 were normal, but there is not good evidence for that. The Institute of Medicine recently came out with a report suggesting a level of 20 is adequate and the dose they suggest for lactating women is 600 IU a day. The 900 IU you were planning on taking should also be ok.

http://www.iom.edu/Reports/2010/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Calcium-and-Vitamin-D.aspx

blue
03-17-2011, 10:24 PM
Glad you were able to get some answers. Hope increasing your sun exposure and vit D helps!

:yeahthat: Hope you feel better soon!

Uno-Mom
03-18-2011, 12:57 AM
I haven't read all the replies but wanted to chime in:

Most of us are vitamin D deficient. I work with several psychiatrists who often put my clients on high D-doses.

Given that, I should remember a LOT about it but it's been a very long day and my recall is broken. There is something important to consider re how high doses of D may interact with your calcium levels - try checking that out at reputable online sources. Sorry, I can't remember the details.

ALSO - my MIL is severely D deficient (even more than the average american) and for her it's related to her rare form of genetic anemia. She doesn't have sickle cell...but it's in the same family. Again, I am not certain of all the medical details but you might look into the relationship between anemia and D. I haven't read much on this thread, so I don't know if you've been tested for this sort of thing or not.

Dang - I hope you get good solid answers soon!!!

essnce629
03-18-2011, 01:41 AM
500IU of vitamin D for someone who's already deficient!!! That just doesn't make any sense to me! I really think most doctors are WAY behind when it comes to vitamin D. There's just so many new studies and info coming out about vitamin D all the time and I just don't think they're keeping up or even trying too. Most people are vitamin d deficient and a severe deficiency can cause a lot of issues-- not being able to sleep well, aches and pain all over, depression, moodiness, etc.

Here's one study that had breastfeeding moms taking 6400IU a day.

High-dose vitamin D3 supplementation in a cohort of breastfeeding mothers and their infants: a 6-month follow-up pilot study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661565

Nursing moms need to make sure they get enough vitamin D so their milk has adequate vitamin D for their baby. I'm a breastfeeding mom, who is not deficient (levels were checked during pregnancy), and I take about 7000IU a day. I take 6000IU from the Carlson vitamin D drops (1 drop=2000IU), plus what's in my prenatal and calcium supplement. I really don't think taking 500IU would put a dent in someone's vitamin D levels if you're already deficient. I've also heard of the 50,000IU prescription dose vitamin D for those who are deficient. Geez, even I take 10,000IU when I get sick! DS1 is 7 and takes 2000IU each day.

This site has lots of info on dosage amounts.
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/treatment.shtml

BabyMine
03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
500IU of vitamin D for someone who's already deficient!!! That just doesn't make any sense to me! I really think most doctors are WAY behind when it comes to vitamin D. There's just so many new studies and info coming out about vitamin D all the time and I just don't think they're keeping up or even trying too. Most people are vitamin d deficient and a severe deficiency can cause a lot of issues-- not being able to sleep well, aches and pain all over, depression, moodiness, etc.

:yeahthat:
I found out last week I am Vit D deficient and was prescribed 50,000IU Vit D once a week. I am in Florida and always in the sun but my Dr. said that doesn't mean anything. She has patients that are tennis players and are deficient.

Roni
03-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Thank you. I wouldn't be surprised if I had a bit of winter blues. I've been giving my baby the Iron/Vit D drops. I'm going to continue with her drops, at least until I see her pediatrician for her 1 year checkup (2 months away).

Do you feel better after taking the Vit D supplements?

I don't feel less tired, but I had been experiencing a lot of aches and pains, & the vitamin D seemed to help that issue.

I'm going to see if they sent me a report on my bloodwork that didn't make it to me. This discussion has been very interesting. There must be something about having a third child that does your body in (especially when you are over 40, in my case).

I forgot to ask the ped at the 4 mo. appt. about the drops, but we have the 6 mo appt. next week. She will be way more knowledgeable about it than my Dr. was, I'm sure.

Asianmommy
03-18-2011, 01:57 PM
I was Vitamin D insufficient and got a prescription for 50,000 IU a week for 12 weeks. They rechecked my Vitamin D level, and when it was fine, put me on 1000 IU a day for maintenance.

mommylamb
03-18-2011, 07:44 PM
I just got my vitamin D test results back, and surprise surprise, I'm deficient. I tested at 17. My midwife was the one who ordered the test, and she told me to take 4000IU a day. DH was recently tested and also is a 17, but he was tested by our PCP. She prescribed 1x a week 50,000IU for him. I guess I have to call the PCP and see if she agrees with my midwife or if I should also be on the 1x mega dose.

elephantmeg
03-18-2011, 09:48 PM
my OB told me to take 2,000 IU regardless. Plus what is in my multi. The kids take 800 IU a day.

firemama
03-18-2011, 09:56 PM
I am coming into this late, but I also wonder if there could be something wrong with your adrenal glands. I see a chiropractor and she believes fatigue is related to problems with adrenal glands. I don't have fatigue, so I don't know the specifics. I'm not even sure a PCP could check these...

But she did a nutritional scan on me (back in December, DD was ~ 6 months old) and found that my Vitamin D levels were low. AND I was taking 10,000 ius daily(Country Life brand). This was on top of prenatal, etc. My midwife had recommended I increase my Vit. D levels when I was pregnant and I continued with that dose when my DD was born and I am still BFing.

I asked my chiro how my levels could be low if I was taking 10,000 a day?!? And she said because Vitamin D, no matter what brand, does not include the broad spectrum of Vitamin D that you need. I can't remember exactly, but I think there is D1 and D2, etc. She put me on whole food supplements and I feel a whole lot better overall. I also think I tended towards SAD in the winter, and this is the first winter that I did not experience it. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence because I have my DD now :p, but these supplements made a huge difference. I am getting re-evaluated in the beginning of April, so I will be interested to see where my Vitamin D levels are now.

Just thought I would share my experience :)

artvandalay
03-23-2011, 10:26 AM
I am coming into this late, but I also wonder if there could be something wrong with your adrenal glands. I see a chiropractor and she believes fatigue is related to problems with adrenal glands. I don't have fatigue, so I don't know the specifics. I'm not even sure a PCP could check these...

But she did a nutritional scan on me (back in December, DD was ~ 6 months old) and found that my Vitamin D levels were low. AND I was taking 10,000 ius daily(Country Life brand). This was on top of prenatal, etc. My midwife had recommended I increase my Vit. D levels when I was pregnant and I continued with that dose when my DD was born and I am still BFing.

I asked my chiro how my levels could be low if I was taking 10,000 a day?!? And she said because Vitamin D, no matter what brand, does not include the broad spectrum of Vitamin D that you need. I can't remember exactly, but I think there is D1 and D2, etc. She put me on whole food supplements and I feel a whole lot better overall. I also think I tended towards SAD in the winter, and this is the first winter that I did not experience it. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence because I have my DD now :p, but these supplements made a huge difference. I am getting re-evaluated in the beginning of April, so I will be interested to see where my Vitamin D levels are now.

Just thought I would share my experience :)

Thank you for sharing. I will keep the adrenal gland part in mind if I don't feel better.

So if anyone is still following my saga:

Thank you to everyone for all of these links. I have been reading them. I even called my pediatrician, asked him if he was ok with me still giving DD the Poly Vi Sol on top of me taking a higher dose Vit D, and he said it was ok, since little Vit D passes through breastmilk.

This one was pretty informative:

interesting that they state the 400 IU in prenatal vitamins are not very helpful to nursing moms - "This recommendation is irrelevant with respect to maintaining the nutritional vitamin D status of mothers and nursing infants"

I think Daisymommy's link had similar info to this one (i've been reading a bunch of articles, so I could be wrong)

I did read this from WebMd:

Taking vitamin D for long periods of time in doses higher than 4000 units per day is POSSIBLY UNSAFE and may cause excessively high levels of calcium in the blood. However, much higher doses are often needed for the short-term treatment of vitamin D deficiency. This type of treatment should be done under the supervision of a healthcare provider.
Special Precautions & Warnings:

Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Vitamin D is LIKELY SAFE during pregnancy and breast-feeding when used in daily amounts below 4000 units. Do not use higher doses. Using higher doses might cause serious harm to the infant.
-------
The part about increasing calcium in the blood caught my attention because I have a history of kidney stones that are from calcium.

SO - I picked up some D3 1,000 IU vitamins. I will take 3 a day (3,000) plus my prenatal vitamin (400 IU) so total of 3,400 daily. I have to go back to the doctor in 2 months and get re tested. At that point I will see what my level is and talk with my doctor about it. If I'm still not feeling better I will think about seeing an endo, but I'm really hoping this does the trick. Also my boys are signed up for T ball, soccer, etc.. and we will be spending loads of time outdoors soon... so that will help my levels I hope!

Thanks everyone :)

Roni
03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Are you my long-lost twin? I also have a history of kidney stones. I thought that adding vitamin D would help with the absorption of calcium, not the other way around. Thanks for the info! The pediatrician did tell me to keep giving dd the vitamin D, & if she won't take it, I can try hiding it in juice. Also, Stoneyfield Farm makes a yogurt w/ vitamin D added. (We're just starting solids and haven't made it to yogurt yet, but big sisters enjoyed "Yo baby yogurt"--I'm assuming that's what she was talking about.

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 02:58 PM
The link I posted said you need to take 4000 IU daily for the proper amount to transfer through your milk to your baby.

Whole milk has more REAL vitamin D in it than skim or lowfat milk, because Vit.D is in the fat (because you need fat in order to absorb the D). So once it's taken out along with the fat, they have to add back in synthetic D--which is not as well absorbed by the body. D is also better absorbed when taken along with calcium. So if it were me, I would switch to whole milk.

Here's a couple links on Adrenal Fatigue:
http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalhealth/symptoms-adrenalfatigue.aspx
Part 1: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/01/what-is-adrenal-fatigue-and-do-i-have-it.html (http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/01/what-is-adrenal-fatigue-and-do-i-have-it.html)
Part 2: (http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/adrenal-fatigue-causes/)http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/02/adrenal-fatigue-help-and-resources-for-healing.html
http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/adrenal-fatigue-causes/

Good Luck, and I hope you feel better soon!

minnie-zb
03-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Whole milk has more REAL vitamin D in it than skim or lowfat milk, because Vit.D is in the fat (because you need fat in order to absorb the D). So once it's taken out along with the fat, they have to add back in synthetic D--which is not as well absorbed by the body. D is also better absorbed when taken along with calcium. So if it were me, I would switch to whole milk.

Isn't this one of the reasons why they think so many Americans are deficient in vit. D because people have switched to 2% or skim milk?

We did switch back to whole milk after I found out I was so deficient in vitamin d.

daisymommy
03-23-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes--the lowfat/non fat milk and fear of the sun or living indoors too much now days. People used to always be outside in "the old days" ;) But even if we are now, if you don't get enough fat, cholesterol, and calcium in your diet, you can't absorb it.

I forgot to mention, Cholesterol is a precursor of Vit. D. (D is synthesized from cholesterol). In our quest to go mostly grains and produce, and cut out animal products (or at least eat very low fat ones) we have shot ourselves in the foot in many ways. Our ancestors never had these problems, eating off the land and the animals they raised.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html

artvandalay
04-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes--the lowfat/non fat milk and fear of the sun or living indoors too much now days. People used to always be outside in "the old days" ;) But even if we are now, if you don't get enough fat, cholesterol, and calcium in your diet, you can't absorb it.

I forgot to mention, Cholesterol is a precursor of Vit. D. (D is synthesized from cholesterol). In our quest to go mostly grains and produce, and cut out animal products (or at least eat very low fat ones) we have shot ourselves in the foot in many ways. Our ancestors never had these problems, eating off the land and the animals they raised.
http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html

This is all so interesting about Vit. D. We typically buy skim or 1% for us and whole for the kids. I love whole. I'm a big milk drinker and occasionally drink the whole as a "treat". Perhaps I will drink more whole.

I wanted to give an update in case anyone was still wondering about my saga. I am feeling MUCH better. I don't know if it has anything to do with the increased Vit D that I've been taking (3,400 IU/Day) or exercise. I've been exercising almost every morning, and I feel really good. In fact since I've had my baby this is the best I've felt. Much more energy and improved mood. I've also been spending more time outside because the weather is improving. Today is nice and sunny (and relatively warm) and we are headed outside in a bit.

Thank you again to everyone who commented and/or provided links for me to read. I really appreciate it.:22:

WolfpackMom
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
This is all so interesting about Vit. D. We typically buy skim or 1% for us and whole for the kids. I love whole. I'm a big milk drinker and occasionally drink the whole as a "treat". Perhaps I will drink more whole.

I wanted to give an update in case anyone was still wondering about my saga. I am feeling MUCH better. I don't know if it has anything to do with the increased Vit D that I've been taking (3,400 IU/Day) or exercise. I've been exercising almost every morning, and I feel really good. In fact since I've had my baby this is the best I've felt. Much more energy and improved mood. I've also been spending more time outside because the weather is improving. Today is nice and sunny (and relatively warm) and we are headed outside in a bit.

Thank you again to everyone who commented and/or provided links for me to read. I really appreciate it.:22:

So glad to hear this! I got my test results back yesterday and am about to start 4000 IUIs of Vit D for deficiency and I have been exercising more so Im hoping I find the same results. Glad things are going well for you!

maestramommy
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM

That's great!! I know ever since I had Arwyn, I have to exercise regularly or I turn into a slug with no motivation whatsoever. Glad you're doing much better!

blue
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better :thumbsup:

ThreeofUs
04-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Kitten007
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
So nice to read your update! Yay for feeling better! :yay:

mom2MandC
04-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Glad to read your positive update! I have been feeling how you originally described too! I got results from bloodwork that my Vit D was 19 and my Dr. recommended 1000 IU of Vitamin D- I wonder if that is enough?
How long did it take to feel results? THinking a few weeks because that is when your OP was? I have been trying to drag myself outside to exercise with my 2 girls.
Really hoping the Vit D and exercise do the trick because I really need to be happier and more energetic! Thanks for updating!!!

Indianamom2
04-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Glad to read your positive update! I have been feeling how you originally described too! I got results from bloodwork that my Vit D was 19 and my Dr. recommended 1000 IU of Vitamin D- I wonder if that is enough?
How long did it take to feel results? THinking a few weeks because that is when your OP was? I have been trying to drag myself outside to exercise with my 2 girls.
Really hoping the Vit D and exercise do the trick because I really need to be happier and more energetic! Thanks for updating!!!

I just got my second Vit D results back (and the number from the first test). When I started out, my D level was 11...so not good at all. The Dr. put me on 2,000 IU's initially, then bumped it up to 4,000 IU's per day. Now, about 4 months later, my level is at 30. Still low, but improved.

I think I would take at least 2,000 IU's. You can find them in that amount in one pill at Sam's (I just take 2 a day).

artvandalay
04-14-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys.

I'd say I've noticably felt better about a week and a half or two weeks now, which is when I started exercising. I'm not sure if I'm exercising because I have more energy from the Vit D, or if I have more energy because I am exercising. In any case, I'll take it!

My husband has noticed that my energy is better. He commented last night that I haven't been falling asleep super early.

I just sort of feel like someone switched an "on" button on me or something. It's also been pretty sunny lately and warmer. I wonder if that plays into anything. I've sometimes wondered if I have a little bit of seasonal depression or something.

If your level is 19, that's pretty low. I agree you can go higher with the Vit D. Are you supposed to get rechecked? My doctor is supposed to re check my levels in a month.

brittone2
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys.

It's also been pretty sunny lately and warmer. I wonder if that plays into anything. I've sometimes wondered if I have a little bit of seasonal depression or something.

Seasonal affective disorder is tied to low D.

Roni
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better.