PDA

View Full Version : Dropping off food after a death - call ahead?

mousemom
03-10-2011, 11:43 PM
A friend recently experienced a death in her family (her father, who was in a nursing home, if that makes any difference). I want to drop off some food for the family, but I've never done that before. When you are bringing something over in a situation like this, do you call ahead? I'm sure she's busy trying to make plans, so I don't want to inconvenience her by making it seem like she should be waiting around for me. The food does not need to be refrigerated, so I can just drop it off on the porch if they are not there (although that seems a little weird too). But I also don't want to be rude by just showing up. How do people normally do this?

gatorsmom
03-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, having just had a death in my family, I can tell you that you are doing a wonderful thing. Also, yes, definitely do call and ask if you can bring it over, ask which day and time would be convenient and ask if they have any food allergies. Hth.

twowhat?
03-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Well, having just had a death in my family, I can tell you that you are doing a wonderful thing. Also, yes, definitely do call and ask if you can bring it over, ask which day and time would be convenient and ask if they have any food allergies. Hth.

:yeahthat:

bigpassport
03-11-2011, 12:07 AM
I call and say "I'd like to drop off a meal for your family. What day would you like a meal? What time can I bring it by?". I always do a full meal (entree, salad and/or veggie, starch or bread, and dessert). It's very nice of you to do this for your friend.