PDA

View Full Version : When you go out to eat as a family...

sarahsthreads
03-11-2011, 12:16 AM
...do you have a set place where everyone sits?

I ask, because by default (no idea how it worked out like this) DD1 sits next to me, and DD2 sits next to DH.

But lately, DD2 has wanted to sit next to me, or she's asked to sit next to DD1, and DD1 refuses to even consider switching things up.

We don't go out all that often, but it's getting stressful when we do, because there's usually a meltdown from one or both children over this. I suppose I should feel flattered, but in reality I feel flustered because my children are a nuisance to everyone in the restaurant before we're even sitting down. :(

So, particularly if you have two DC, how do you determine who sits where at dinner? Please tell me mine are not the only children who argue over this?

Sarah :)

infomama
03-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Nope. We go with the flow. There have been times both have wanted to sit by me or DH but it works itself out.

elephantmeg
03-11-2011, 12:26 AM
not here either. We often eat out with other people-its rare that the 4 of us eat out-so it's constantly changing!

niccig
03-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Only one DC, so we don't have this problem. But friends did and they take turns who sits with each child. I think the mum set up with them before they went out and then reminds them each time of who will be sitting with who.

Then we're with them and that goes out the window as they want to sit with DS.

Asianmommy
03-11-2011, 01:39 AM
We usually sit either parent with either child, but sometimes DD2 wants to sit with DD1.

lalasmama
03-11-2011, 02:01 AM
La chooses where everyone sits each time. She picks her spot first, then picks who she wants to sit with. Usually it's me. Occasionally, it's Challenge. Rarely, it's my SO.

xmasbabycomin
03-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Both kids always want to sit w/DH :0 so they have to
alternate sitting by him. It's a pain keeping track of who sat
next to him last, and I hate hearing them whine about it,
esp. since I already feel like the dork anyway. Maybe if they
saw me less they'd want to sit by me :D.

Globetrotter
03-11-2011, 03:44 AM
I thought it was just us! both kids want to sit next to dh - they fight over it! I tell them it's better to sit across from him to talk, so one gets to do that.

plusbellelavie
03-11-2011, 07:30 AM
This was more of a problem when the older DCs were younger they both wanted to sit with DH...we didn't go out to eat very much but when we did befoe entering the resturant we would decide who sat where so that there was not a scene inside. We also tried to eat at tables so that the kids would each be next to us...that worked best.

Now the older DCs sit together so that they can play a bit together and DS2 usually sits next to one of us or between DH and I!

I do think arranging everything beforehand helped us from melt downs inside...BTW I didn't always remember who sat where before and if the kids both insisted on sitting by DH and could not resovle it themselves then either DH or I would pick a number from 1 to 100, or flip a coin, or pull toothpicks whatever was handy...it usually worked out well! And, I guess the threat of not even entering the resturant to eat was enough to make them agree to whatever was agreed...

TwinFoxes
03-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Just recently it seems that D sits next to me, and S next to DH. But I think it's more coincidence than anything, it's how we sit around the dining room table.

maestramommy
03-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Don't exactly have a set place, generally we sit so that we are within reach of all kids. I usually sit with Laurel, and Dh sits between Dora and Arwyn. It's mainly so we can keep a lid on things and help them if they need it.

at home we have set places, but it's really Dh who is attached to that, not the rest of us:tongue5:

KrisM
03-11-2011, 08:12 AM
We don't have set places. Lately, all the kids sit on one side and DH and I on the other.

brittone2
03-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Both older kids like to sit with DH. At home they sit next to one another and we alternate which kid DH is sitting across from (seriously, I can't believe we have to do this LOL).

When we are out if there's a booth both DS1 and DD will sit with DH if at all possible.

Melaine
03-11-2011, 09:20 AM
My girls always fight over who gets to sit next to me. ALWAYS. I am waiting for the time when DH will become the favorite. YOU GUYS PROMISED ME IT WOULD HAPPEN.

hellokitty
03-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Maybe I am a hardass. My kids don't usually fight over this, but the few times they have, I just tell them that if they are going to be unreasonable, we can just leave and not eat out. Usually, that makes them change their tune really fast and they stop complaining.

sarahsthreads
03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for making me feel like our family isn't totally abnormal. :)

I think the problem is that we go out so rarely now that I forget in between times that this is going to be an issue until we actually start following the hostess back to our table. And I don't know how I'd keep track of who sat where when, plus with a two year old in the mix, "you sat next to mommy last time" probably won't head off a tantrum.

I guess I'm going to have to try to remember to start the negotiations in the car on the way there. It just seems so odd, because, truly, my girls so rarely fight with each other over anything.

I do feel badly for poor DH - nobody wants to sit next to him. :( *I'd* love to, but we feel like we need to have a kid and a parent on each side of the table to keep some semblance of control over their behavior. And even if we didn't, DD1 *will not tolerate* sitting next to DD2 at any meal, even at home, for reasons I cannot fathom.

Sarah :)

HIU8
03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
No set places. sometimes DS sits next to me and sometimes DD does. My kids could care less. They just want the food fast.