PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do Montessori for K-6?

maestramommy
03-11-2011, 10:00 AM
A new Charter elementary school is going to be opening fall of 2012. One of my friends was part of the group that wrote the proposal, and they NH board of Ed just granted their charter yesterday. It will be open to any child in NH. I am intrigued and asked her to put me on her mailing list.

There is a Montessori 3-6 school in our town, and I thought it was great, sent Dora there for summer camp 2 summers in a row. I always thought she'd thrive there, but the tuition was steep and I wasn't sure about the 5 day commitment. But this school is tuition free.

For now we are committed to our town's public schools, they are just great anyway. But I can't keep my mind from wandering back to Montessori. I think Laurel would do great there too, if she could keep from turning the place upside down:p Arwyn I don't know. She's so flighty, goes from here to there. I'm not sure how she would do in an independent learner type of environment.

So I was curious, for all you Montessori die-hards, anyone know anything about elementary school? What kind of kid tends to do well in this kind of setting? Assuming my kids went there, they would still end up in public school starting grade 7.

As another aside, I'm thinking about our HS in particular. It only seems to have 2 levels. Classes for the honors/AP/IB track, and everyone else. Some parents with B students don't like it because their kid is really not up to the Honors track, but they get lumped in with kids who really don't want to be there. I understand that because I was this type of kid. I have a feeling that at least one of my kids may be like this, and I'm wondering whether Montessori in the early years would help or hinder with this.

maestramommy
03-11-2011, 07:12 PM
bump for the late day crowd!