PDA

View Full Version : Rango Reviews

Bens Momma
03-11-2011, 10:34 AM
Anyone see Rango yet? What did you think? Age appropriateness?

mytwosons
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
Judging by the number of kids and adults getting up during the movie, I don't think it held anyone's attention.

There were a couple parts that could have scared some kids. I don't remember if there was bad language.

Karinyc
03-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I went to see it with my DH and we were pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really good. The digital art is amazing & the voice characterizations are great! However, it's not entirely "lighthearted & silly" (like Kung Fu Panda- which I'd say is for younger kids). The kids in the theater I went to were slightly older (7 & up), but it was a late showing so that could have something to do with it. They seemed to enjoy it, but I heard more laughter from adults. It's very witty. And kind of sweet. But, it's has elements of a typical western. Different from say, Toy Story 3 in its art & overall feel. Although Toy Story had a great deal of emotional resonance (probably more- made me cry)...I'd say for kids 5/6 +.

khalloc
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
I saw it this past weekend with my 2 kids. Huge mistake. We made it thru the movie, but it sucked. It was boring. Really boring. My kids are 5 and almost 3.

bostonsmama
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
There was a huge article in USA Today about the profuse instances (something like 100+) of characters smoking; it was called a "public health hazard." For that reason it might require a "talk" afterwards.

khalloc
03-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Yes! There was smoking everywhere in the movie.

egoldber
03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow! I'm surprised. The reviews I've heard have all been really positive.

khalloc
03-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I went to see it because Yahoo had given it B's for grades. But I did not like it at all.

Karinyc
03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Well...it's like a surreal, digital western. And it does have a slower pace. And some dark elements. But I thought it was visually stunning & clever. I mean, Toy Story 3 had its dark & sad scenes & Up was incredibly melancholy (and my favorite). But those films do have more lighthearted moments. If you're not sure, (and you know your child best) wait until it comes out on Netflix & save the $ (you can also preview it that way). I did like it & prefer seeing animated films in the theater, but would wait if I had any doubts.

niccig
03-11-2011, 12:17 PM
There were a couple parts that could have scared some kids. I don't remember if there was bad language.

DH worked on it - some parts with the snake are scary, so he warned DS ahead of time that scary part coming up, and DS was fine with it. He's 6 yo. Not the best kid's movie we've seen lately