PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with hiring painters?

liz
03-11-2011, 10:38 AM
We had some water damage a month ago and we currently have Servpro out doing the restoration.

The bid for the work included the painting of 2 walls. This is in my 2 story foyer, which still has the "builders white" paint color on the walls. Obviously, this would be a great time to pick out another color. I am looking to having them paint the other 2 walls and the ceiling.

My question is - has anyone ever hired a painter to paint such a high ceiling room? How much did they charge? We will be paying for this out of pocket. TIA!

BabyH
03-11-2011, 11:07 AM
We hired painters last year right around this time and some of the walls they painted were very high. It was very expensive - but our guy had a flat rate per day. The job took two weeks. Pricey, but he is the best in town and it looks phenomenal. If I could afford it again, I'd have him come do much more!

So..... I guess I'm no help. It would depend if they bid per job or if they have just a regular rate. (And our guys worked fast, arrived at 8, left after 5, ate lunch here, washed and cleaned up everything - they were great.)

liz
03-11-2011, 11:20 AM
It was very expensive - but our guy had a flat rate per day. The job took two weeks. Pricey, but he is the best in town and it looks phenomenal. If I could afford it again, I'd have him come do much more!

Do you remember how much the flat rate was per day? I guess I am hoping that it won't be too much more $$, because they are already painting the other walls. What worries me is how much the ceiling will cost.

I am having a hard time looking up any rates online. It's so hard to judge if the price he quotes us will be fair, or jacked-up, KWIM?

Thanks for any input.

lil_acorn
03-11-2011, 11:42 AM
my painter charged 500-600/day.

lhafer
03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
2 weeks for a paint job? That seems WAY long.

I don't know....I got my dining room, media room, kitchen, and daughter's bedroom painted (all different colors) and it took them (a group of about 6) one day to do it. Cost a few hundred + paint.

I am having my living room painted (one wall, some arches, and a small strip of wall. I have 14' ceilings or I would do it myself. I am hoping to get a quote today - but I am assuming it will be less than $100 + paint.

In my last house, I had 95% of the house painted - 12' ceilings, and it included the living room, bedroom (took 5 coats!!), guest bedroom, and study. It took the crew a day to do it all. Total cost (included LOTS of paint) was $800.

My best friend has her house painted, and she has a 2 story living room, bedroom and some other rooms done. I am not sure how much it cost, but it took that crew 2 days to finish the job.

creativelightbulb
03-11-2011, 12:24 PM
even not knowing your locations - two weeks and 500/600 a day seems way out of line for painters...

I'm in the Wash DC Metro area and we've had painters come in and paint our two story family room and halls with high ceilings...

the remainder of the house I've painted myself...

for the family room and halls they charged approx. $600 for all the work completed in one day with three men working...oh, and they rented a scaffold for the FR...

if you are having servpro do the painting I'd see if you can strike a deal to have the same guys do your other work but OFF duty not as official servpro work orders...I've found I can get HUGE discounts that way simply by asking...plumbers, electricians, painters etc.

the same guys are coming in a couple weeks to paint the kitchen and do the back splash $300 and 350 respectively for labor

boolady
03-11-2011, 12:42 PM
We had our downstairs and hallway (downstairs, up the steps, and upstairs) painted. The stairway leading upstairs is very high-- they had to get up on something to do it, but I wasn't there...scaffolding, two ladder deal, something, because that's why we didn't do it ourselves. Two guys, two days, two coats, done. There is no reason on earth I can think of why it would take two weeks.

hellokitty
03-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I've had so many friends who have had horror stories of painters who did sloppy jobs. If I were you, I'd be willing to pay more for someone who is professional, bonded and personally recommended by someone that you know (who isn't related to the painter).

BabyH
03-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Do you remember how much the flat rate was per day? I guess I am hoping that it won't be too much more $$, because they are already painting the other walls. What worries me is how much the ceiling will cost.

I am having a hard time looking up any rates online. It's so hard to judge if the price he quotes us will be fair, or jacked-up, KWIM?

Thanks for any input.

It was $500/day. From this thread that seems to be the norm. He was so worth it.

2 weeks for a paint job? That seems WAY long.

It was long. You should see the amount of space we had painted. And now it's perfect!

I've had so many friends who have had horror stories of painters who did sloppy jobs. If I were you, I'd be willing to pay more for someone who is professional, bonded and personally recommended by someone that you know (who isn't related to the painter).

Agreed. Go with the best you can find!

froggert
03-11-2011, 03:06 PM
if getting multiple quotes, make sure they are estimating for the same amount of work (number of coats, patching holes, fixing nail pops, painting trim, painting ceilings, paint and supplies included, type of paint, etc.). we had our new to us house painted recently and it took a lot longer than two weeks. but the work involved patching a lot of holes, fixing nail pops, painting all trim, windows, doors, ceilings and closets with at least two coats, removing wallpaper from two bathrooms, removing toilets to paint behind them, and more.