PDA

View Full Version : Quick question for Vera Bradley fans

SASM
03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I need your opinion. I am flying to FL solo with 3yo DD in a week. I need a new carry-on type bag. DD will have her little backpack for activities, snacks and blanket (I might have to carry it at some point although he is currently obsessed with her pack) and I'll have my Mac stroller gate checked. It is a toss up for me which bag to get. My local retailer has 2 bags on clearance that might work...need your opinion:

They have this one is in a pattern that I absolutely love: http://www.verabradley.com/product/Backpack/154883/defaultColor/Very+Berry+Paisley/p/154883.uts

They have this one in a pattern that I like, but not my first choice: http://www.verabradley.com/product/Pleated-Tote/154943/defaultColor/Boysenberry/p/154943.uts

I like the idea of the hands-free backpack but I am not really a backpack kind of girl, but could be if need be... I think that the pleated tote is a good size for the flight and future use but not sure if the shoulder bag style will be cumbersome through the airport, etc.

Opinions please! Any other suggestions? I am going to look into getting the bigger bag in my preferred pattern online, too. I am new to Vera. I only have a Hipster, which is too small for the plane. THANK YOU!!

ha98ed14
03-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd get the tote because I think it would be more useful after your trip. I'm not a fan of backpacks, but eapecially VB. I dunno why. Somehow a nice brown leather one looks way better to me than a floral print one. If push really came to shove, you could loop one strap over each shoulder and wear it like a back pack. I think that would look less dumb the actual backpack.

SASM
03-11-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks! I agree with you. I was all ready to order the tote in my favorite pattern when I met up with my friends. One saw the bags in question, the other was a bystander. They both voted for the backpack. Ugh! My friend thinks I'll overpack and the size is unnecessary. I, personally, think the backpack is too small for my backside (size 16). DH was rolling his eyes during the entire debate. Ugh!! Need to decide. Frustrating!

Green_Tea
03-11-2011, 09:13 PM
I just returned from a trip without my kids, and have to say that my backpack (not a VB one) made things SO much easier. It's just really awesome to be hands free in the airport, and not to have a bag slipping down your arm.

That said, if you really prefer the style of the other back, I'd get that. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to invest in a bag that you're unlikely to use post trip.

Can you easily hook it over the stroller handles without it hitting the wheels? And does it zip or close securely (IMO a must for a bag you're traveling with, especially on a plane with turbulence and such.)

tmahanes
I would go with the tote but that's just because I HATE back packs!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

DietCokeLover
I like the tote for several reasons:

1. Looks better
2. Easier to reach in and out of quicker rather than having to undo a backpack
3. More useful later on

SASM
03-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Thank you so much, ladies! DH and my friends talked me out of the stroller. Ugh!!!! We'll see...I am the one who is going to have a potentially sleepy/grumpy 3.5yo...still not quite ready to give it up, even with a 2.5-hour layover bc you never know...

karin4
03-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I really don't like backpacks, either. The tote looks good, but I thought I'd make one more suggestion: the weekender. I'm not really a Vera fan-- don't hate the stuff, but not really my style-- but I adore this bag. It might be larger than what you're looking for, but if it isn't, it's a great travel bag. Structured enough that things don't fall all around, but soft enough that it can be smooched into small spaces and that you can fit a ton into it. And it's so much lighter weight than my old carry-on type bag.
http://www.verabradley.com/product/Weekender/154813/defaultColor/Lemon%20Parfait/p/154813.uts#BVRRWidgetID

newg
03-11-2011, 11:44 PM
I was just about to suggest the weekender as well. You can sling it over your shoulder, across your body and even put it over stroller handles.

boilermakermom
03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I vote for either the weekender or the messenger. I LOVE crossbody bags, especially with kids!!! it gives you the ability to have your hands free and not wear a backpack. I am NOT a fan of purse type back packs.

SASM
03-12-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank you soooo much, ladies! And thank you for the Weekender suggestion. Unfortunately, it is not available in my favorite pattern, which was recently retired. :( I think that I am going for the pleated tote. The backpack is only slightly larger than my hipster, which is handsfree but too small for carry-on use IMO. The tote is large and doesn't have any zipped exterior pockets but I think it'll be a good size for other occasions. I REALLY want to like the backpack (I was actually looking for a backpack for a recent trip to WDW but didn't know about this one) but it just looks too small on me. Ugh!!