PDA

View Full Version : Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon?

maylips
03-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I turn 38 in May and let's just say my face is getting back at me for all the sun worshipping I did in high school/college.

I've only been to a dermatologist once and have an appointment on Monday with a different one. The first dermatologist I went to (this was a few years ago) just looked me over for moles but wasn't really helpful when I mentioned I wanted to age more gracefully.

I don't want surgery or anything invasive, but would like to explore options that would help SOMETHING - sun spots, skin tone, wrinkles....I'm not even sure what would be best and need some guidance in what's the best bang for my buck, ya know?

So, should I plan to see a plastic surgeon (for maybe chemical peel/fillers/lasers/etc?) or would a dermatologist be just as good? This new dermatologist I'm going to Monday says they have some cosmetic things - I just don't want to be pushed into "their" cosmetic procedure because they don't offer as much as a plastic surgeon would.

Anyone have any BTDT advice?

Signed,
Vanity, Defined

veronica
03-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Look for a dermatologist that specializes in cosmetic dermatology. My Dr. has two distinct sides of his office. Some days, he sees his clinical patients only and the other days, he sees his cosmetic patients. He is well versed in both areas.

If you see a surgeon, they will want to do surgery......

JBaxter
03-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I had mine removed by a plastic surgeon. I KNEW it needed to come off so I skipped the derm.. Well It would have been 4 months for an appt and 2 weeks for the plastic surgeon. It was melanoma so Im glad I didnt wait

willow33
03-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Look for a dermatologist that specializes in cosmetic dermatology. My Dr. has two distinct sides of his office. Some days, he sees his clinical patients only and the other days, he sees his cosmetic patients. He is well versed in both areas.

If you see a surgeon, they will want to do surgery......

Same with my dermatologist. Tuesdays/Thursdays are reserved for cosmetic procedures.

elektra
03-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I would not go directly to a plastic surgeon. I think using a dermatologist who also does cosmetic procedures is a good idea.
When my brother had to have a malignant melanoma removed from his face, his derm referred him to a plastic surgeon.

army_mom
03-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Have you looked into a medical spa? They often do peels that are not as "deep" as dermatologists but give decent results. Not sure of how much damage you are trying to fix. Many of my friends are doing series of the TCA peels that are helping with sun spots, wrinkles, blotchiness, and overall skin brightness. I really think their skin appearance has improved with the peels.

cckwmh
03-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I would go to a dermatologist that also has a cosmetic component to his/her practice. Be careful with medspas, especially without seeing a dermatologist first. the doctor usually affiliated with them are not dermatologists (especially in my area). often the person doing the procedure is not trained comepletely in derm and may overlook or treat something with a laser that will lighten it, and potentially mask a cancer.

I am fine with medspas after seeing a derm first. i am also VERY biased as I work in derm and have had many patients come in for something else, (a rash, etc) and i point out a concerning spot on their face. the patient will minimize it and say, "oh, that looks so much better than it did since I had XYZ done." when in fact it is a skin cancer, that should have never been lasered in the first place.

khm
03-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I think it really depends. I know a plastic surgeon whose office has a very large non-surgical cosmetic component to it. Their website has all sorts of options from products, to very minor procedures, to lasers (many types) to full on plastic surgery.

hwin708
03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I would suggest a medi-spa.

Plastic surgeons typically have a consultation fee just to meet with them and discuss your concerns. If you elect to have surgery, that fee is rolled into the cost of your surgery, so all fine and good. But for the little freshening up you are referring to, like fillers, peels and lasers, you're better off going to a medi-spa.

I agree with the other poster that medi-spas are not the place to take serious, potentially cancerous issues, but since you already have an appointment with a regular dermatologist, you can have that checkup at that time. And get their price list for cosmetic procedures, since those vary by a great deal, and use that as a comparison when looking around at medi-spas.

My personal preference is actually for an AMAZING dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic procedures. I personally found it very easy to locate such a person, but that's mainly because I frequently get facials, waxed, etc etc, plus a variety of other circumstances. You'd be amazed at how quickly you can narrow down to the "biggies" in your town just with a little asking around. It's WAY easier than finding a great gynecologist or pediatrician.

But if you don't have those "connections," medi-spas are easier to find reviews and info online than dermatologists, and thus a much better choice than a random dermatologist's office. You can very often find medi-spas affiliated with plastic surgeons as well, so if you end up deciding you want a little more than a peel, you have somewhere there to consult with.

mackmama
03-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I would try to see a dermatologist who specializes in cosmetic procedures. I would tend to avoid a plastic surgeon because I feel surgeons often recommend the knife when less invasive options might suffice.