PDA

View Full Version : You know I did not realize there was a social justice policy controversy

kijip
03-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Here in Seattle.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4562457/controversy-over-social-justice-policy-continues

1. Really, this is a two day story? It does't seem to be controversial in Seattle.

2. I love seeing my City Attorney so calm and collected.

3. I find that using quote around "social justice" is really annoying.

katydid1971
03-12-2011, 02:56 AM
Fox loves making it a an us ("The Real Americans") vs them ("Those evil liberals who want to spend your hard earned tax money") world.

LOVE your signature by the way!!!!!

writermama
03-12-2011, 10:02 AM
Can you please provide a sentence or two summary of the alleged controversy? I'd rather not give Fox "News" the ad revenue from visiting their "News" site.

kijip
03-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Can you please provide a sentence or two summary of the alleged controversy? I'd rather not give Fox "News" the ad revenue from visiting their "News" site.

Fox is complaining that-

-the city has decided to reduce misdemeanor prosecutions for driving with a suspended license. over 40% of these charges are made against African Americans (note Seattle has a population comprised of only 8% African Americans). Most of the time suspended licenses are triggered by an unpaid ticket. This is true across races and is def. tied to poverty.

-The city attorney office seeks a difference of one day in sentencing for certain relatively minor charges (usually where the sentence is suspended anyway) from 1 full year to 364 days. This makes it less likely that people (with or without legal right to be here) will be deported.

-Our city website discusses institutionalized racism and gives as an example of that that city jobs that place more (undue) importance on education over work experience. Fox spun that to say the city believes it is racist to require a college degree for a job. Which, considering it is likely Seattle will start requiring a 4 year degree to enter the police force and already asks many applicants for college degrees, is not the case.

To put the reasoning for esp the first one in context, there is a significant history of race based bias issues in the SPD.

liamsmom
03-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Bravo to the city of Seattle for attempting to make social justice through sensible changes in the law. :bighand: