PDA

View Full Version : s/o hair removal - wax & bleach

MWmom
03-12-2011, 12:44 PM
The thread about hair removal got me thinking about facial hair. If I could afford laser I think I'd try it. But we aren't done TTC & it is too pricey right now. Wax at the salon is expensive, shaving is out and tweezing is tedious. So that leaves home waxing and bleach in between. I thought about a wax pot. Someone told me it isn't that difficult. The bleach is what drives me nuts. Maybe i'm more sensitive, but the sally hansen mix it yourself tingles and burns a little. So I always wonder if I'm mixing it right. Is there a goof proof bleach out there?

What has been your experience with either? What have you liked & what works for you?

Twoboos
03-12-2011, 12:57 PM
I used to bleach, long long ago, in High School. I stopped in college, after getting a slight tan one spring, and having a nice stand-out bleach white mustache. Once a guy told me to shave it, I immediately went to wax. (Definitely a low point in my life with facial hair.) So after that I would never ever EVER bleach again. And you're right, it did always tingle/sting!

I have my own wax kit that I've had for about 20 years. It has it's own heater and a compartment for the wax cartridges. I do my own eyebrows and used to do my upper lip, which I get lasered now. After I'm out of this wax refill I'm going to have to find something else, they don't make them anymore. So I can't recommend one to look into, but I'll be looking. Only wanted to say it's really not that hard.

I clean the area, pat on some baby powder, put on the wax (not too hot, I blow on it first), let it harden a little (I've found if it's not cool enough the hairs won't be stuck in there), put on the strip, pull the area taunt and rip in opposite direction of hair growth. I follow up with tweezing any stragglers. Then I've been applying Burt's Bees Res-Q Ointment, it helps the area calm down.

I usually wax before bed to give the redness time to go away.

MommyAllison
03-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I use these at home: http://www.sallybeauty.com/facial-strip-wax/SBS-245050,default,pd.html for my upper lip, and tweeze my brows. I also wax before bed, and after waxing, use a bit of olive oil to get the residue off.

MWmom
03-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Twoboos- what an a$$ that guy was! Mommy Allison- thanks for the olive oil tip. The strips might work for traveling. I'm lucky enough to have too much hair for those to be cost effective.
I went to Sally's today to ask a few questions. I grilled the employees. They seemed fresh out of beauty school :) They both recommended GiGi products. I also questioned a woman & her daughter shopping for the same stuff :bag They raved about GiGi. This is what the woman used when she worked in a salon. They pointed out the items they use, lasted longer and gave me a few tips. For instance - the 'space saver warmer' pot perfectly warms a 14oz wax after 45min. One switch, no settings, no worries. I will likely head back and try it.

DrSally
03-12-2011, 10:12 PM
I get waxed at Fantastic Sams. $10 when you factor in a tip. I tell them to go lightly and I clean it up at home with a tweezers. I'd rather have them do less than more.

mimosa
03-13-2011, 11:38 AM
I almost always wax my lip and brows myself. I've had my brows waxed in salons, but it never seemed like they were as precise or looked as good as when I do it myself. Of course, I spend a lot more time. Wax first and then tweeze with a 10X mirror to get a really straight line.

I have a wax warmer, but most of the time I don't bother with getting it out and setting it up. I use Micro Tweeze wax (you can get it at Sally's), which you just heat up in the microwave. Clean skin, powder, apply, let cool and rip.

One thing that helps a lot is applying Tend Skin (just a little with a Qtip) at night for a couple days after waxing. Doing it immediately is too irritating, but it really keeps me from getting bumps.

I did bleach my lip a long, long time ago, but yeah...blonde mustache is not so attractive.

MWmom
03-13-2011, 09:56 PM
I did it! Last night I read as much as I could find on how to wax. This morning I purchased all of the products and just jumped in and did it. Lip, chin, sideburns. I definately need some work on my technique ;) but not as tough as I thought. I forgot the baby powder, used the olive oil and some other tips. Thank you guys for your input! If there are any other tips I'd still love to hear them. I'm positive there is room for improvement here :p

If anyone wants more details (product etc) just ask.

mom2binsd
03-14-2011, 12:19 AM
I either use a facial cream remover (Sally Hanson's is pretty good) or the Smooth Away small pads. Both are pretty quick and idiot proof.

I esp like the pads as I can get really close to my lips (esp if I stick my tongue inside my mouth and make the skin super tight....)

I use the cream remover for my chin/neck that is pretty easy to do.

boltfam
03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Just found this thread and I am so glad! I've had problems with facial hair, and everything I tried was NOT good. I called my derm to ask some questions, and the girl I talked to made me feel like I was an anomoly and that she had never talked to anyone who had a mustache. i feel so much better to know I'm not the only one.

For those of you who wax, how often do you do it? I've though about doing it but don't want to have to be constantly waxing.

Thanks, OP, for posting the info. on products you found.

MWmom
03-16-2011, 07:45 PM
That was such an innapropriate attitude for her to have. I'm sorry she made you feel that way. If you have an appointment again I might say something to the derm. Not only is it bad for business she shouldn't have made you feel that way (intentional or not) :(
I've had facial hair for way too long. A few years ago I could deal w/tweezing daily. After DD that was just not happening. I realized how much was really there :( And even more grew in under my chin. The upper lip and chin make me feel bad. The rest meh, just an irritant. Tweezing takes too much time. Shaving is just not for me. Bleaches & creams tingle and burn I don't know that I want to try them again. However I may need to so something in between waxes.
I went to a salon for 7+months. The woman was great but I just couldn't take the price anymore. I'm too timid to ask advice on this from people IRL and not much popped up w/searches here.
If you decide to try it the sensitive skin pink wax was good for me. My lip, chin and side burns were really not that bad pain wise. The worst part was getting the sticky wax off the sink. I'm such a klutz haha. The olive oil tip was terrific! just keep rubbing - that worked on skin & sink :hysterical: Haven't tried my legs & won't do the bikini! Have to say the arm pits were not fun. I couldn't do it by myself :bag DH had to help.