PDA

View Full Version : What size crock pot?

Pinky
03-12-2011, 11:20 PM
What size crock pot should I get for a family of 3? (DD is 1yo) I'd like to get one big enough to have leftovers too but I have no idea what size I need. Also, is it worth it to get the kind that has the clamps/handles that hold the lid on so that you can take on the go? (we don't go to parties very often so I can't imagine I'd use this much but I thought I'd throw the idea out there to see what people thought)

justlearning
03-13-2011, 02:26 AM
I originally bought a 6-quart crock pot. I still have that but now almost always use the 4-quart size that I bought a few months ago. My family doesn't like vegetables cooked in the crock pot, so the 6-quart just seemed way too big for the meat alone. The 6-quart size also takes up more room in my dishwasher. But if you like to cook potatoes, carrots, etc. along with the meat, then the 6-quart size would probably work best for you. BTW, I also have a 2-quart crock pot and use that when I'm just mixing some leftover chicken in with sauce to warm up to use for tacos later or something like that. We're a family of 4 (with a 5 and 7-year old).

I don't have any special ones made for taking elsewhere and haven't missed that feature. I've only taken my crock pot to a friend's house once and it traveled fine (just a few blocks away) without anything special.

ETA that one feature that I do appreciate on my larger crock pot is a digital timer that allows you to say how long you want to it to cook. Once that time runs out, it beeps then switches to warm, which is convenient if you're going to be away from the house. The 4-quart one I have (that I bought on sale for $10) doesn't have a timer so you have to set your own timer and then manually switch it to warm.

Pinky
03-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks! That's helpful info. :)