PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk bike trailers?

artvandalay
03-13-2011, 11:23 AM
*I wasn't sure if I should put this in baby gear or strollers or lounge.. mods feel free to move*

With warmer weather coming I am itching to get our bikes out. What age can babies start using a bike trailer? DD will be 1 year old in May, but I'd like to use this beforehand if possible. She is a very tall baby (assuming height, not weight, makes a difference)

Also do they make helmets for a baby this small? And what type of trailer do you recommend/or don't recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want something with good suspension/tires.

Thanks!

ETA: I also wanted to add: I may occasionally put my 4 year old in here, as he isn't that confident with his bike, but it seems that the trailers that I've seen have room for two children, or you can move the strap to the middle if you want to use it for one child.

wellyes
03-13-2011, 11:50 AM
The recommendation is 1 year or more. Trailers aren't strollers, it's a pretty rough ride, very low to the ground. I'd do a bike seat before a trailer for an infant.

I am itching to get my bike out too and I can't wait for DS to be big enough to join me!

Multimama
03-13-2011, 12:04 PM
With warmer weather coming I am itching to get our bikes out. What age can babies start using a bike trailer? DD will be 1 year old in May, but I'd like to use this beforehand if possible. She is a very tall baby (assuming height, not weight, makes a difference)

What Wellyes said (although for me bike seat vs. trailer depends on where I'm biking). Also I wanted to say that it's not height or weight that makes the difference. It's spinal cord and muscle maturity. They need to be able to hold their head up with the extra weight of the helmet and also to be able to withstand the pressure to their neck, movement of their head, in an accident (especially with the extra weight of the helmet attached). (The longer you wait on this the better, obviously.) Also, with very young kids (not sure when this stops being an issue) shaken baby syndrome is a concern too. It's a bumpy ride given the faster speeds, rougher terrain, etc.

These helmets (http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Me2-Infant-Bike-Helmet/dp/B000FABD0G)are popular for kids. REI sells some others. They don't make ones smaller than that because kids that don't fit these shouldn't be on bikes.

roseyloxs
03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Wait until she is 1. May will be here before you know it.

I use the Baby Jogger Switchback and love it, found it used on craigslist. I also have the iBert safe-T-seat (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/02/a-new-view-on-bike-riding-with-tots/) which the kids and I also LOVE.

artvandalay
03-13-2011, 12:19 PM
I will definitely hold off until May. I did some searching online trying to find which is safer - seats or trailers - and found some differing opinions. Is it up to personal preference?

I am favoring a trailer because it is lower to the ground, my 4 year old can ride in it at the same time, has a frame for protection, has a mesh cover to protect from sun/wind/bugs/etc. and I don't think it would tip over that easily (will it tip over at all?). A bike seat makes me nervous, but I've also never used one.

Rosie I did just see that bikeseat you mentioned while I was looking at them on Amazon, and it got really good reviews. Do you favor it over the BJ trailer? If so, why?

Multimama, thank you for the helmet link!

pastrygirl
03-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I covet the Joovy Cocoon X2. It looks so cool!! Alas, I am not a bike-rider...

kep
03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
We have never used a trailer, (although they look so cool!). We have only used seats. You really do get used to it quickly. Our big concern with trailers, is if you are riding in any traffic, the trailer is very low to the ground, and would most likely end up under the vehicle, rather than bouncing off the hood as a taller object would. It would more than likely be the first thing to be hit, taking the brunt of the force. And the frame is not going to hold up well to any substantial force. I know there are huge differing opinions on this, this is JMHO. DH was a FF/Paramedic for a lot of years, and has seen a lot of different vehicular crashes. Auto vs. Ped/Bike isn't pretty. His opinion is, you want the kid up as high as possible.

Smillow
03-13-2011, 12:58 PM
I recently got a Schwinn bike trailer off CL for $50. We will only use it on a bike trail or in a park - not out on the road. The seat is very hammocky. It has a stroller conversion kit (small front swivel wheel and handle). I think it will be great for using at the beach because you can put other stuff in it. It folds down very flat. DS (2) likes it in small doses.

wellyes
03-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I have an ibert too, and I like it. It's what I use around the neighborhood. I do not like using trailers on roads with cars. They're *awesome* for rail trails and bike paths, though.

The other thing about trailers is that they're heavy, so when we go riding as a family, DH takes the trailer. The iBert is good for when it's just me because it's balanced evenly between my hands and doesn't significantly change my ride.

Either way, I go pretty slow when I'm riding with a child. I have crashed on my bike exactly once - going from grass to sidewalk at a bad angle - I got scrapes and bruises and a child riding with me would have too, if there had been one. But I wouldn't have taken that (dumb) risk with a kid.

vludmilla
03-13-2011, 01:14 PM
We have a Trek trailer that we received in brand new condition from our awesome freecycle. DH uses it in our neighborhood that gets very little car traffic and is very flat. You could wait an hour and not see a car travel down our street. Anyway, DH loves to use it. DD asked for rides in it with her favorite stuffed animal of the moment all last spring and summer. If you have a good, safe place to ride with it frequently, I think it is a great thing to have. Not sure, however, that I would have spent several hundred dollars on it.

rin
03-13-2011, 01:16 PM
We were in the exact same situation as you (our DD turns 1 in May as well) and discussed it with our pediatrician. He actually said that he would be ok with us using a trailer at 9 months (since many trailers have support hammocks you can get for younger babies), but that he would not recommend a bike seat until 1 year. I still didn't feel comfortable with the trailer, but he at least apparently felt a trailer was safer if we HAD to put our DC on a bike.

My understanding is that a trailer is safer if you're NOT riding in traffic, because even if it tips over it's got a roll bar and the kid is strapped in with a 5-point harness. I read somewhere that the double trailers (we got a used Burley dlite in eager anticipation of her birthday) are considered slightly less tip-prone than the singles, so that's what we got even though we only have 1 DC. Since you can just shift the harness into the middle, it'll basically function as an extra-wide single, and then we can always reattach the second harness if we want to give a ride to two kids at once. My husband's been testing the trailer out with groceries & library books just to make sure he's got a feel for riding with it by the time we put the baby in.

We also got an iBert seat based on online reviews and talking to other cycling parents. Of course we haven't used yet, but we're pretty excited about it come May. My understanding is that if you'll be riding in any kind of traffic, a bike seat is better because the overall footprint is less, plus you don't have the decreased visibility problem with a low-riding trailer (even with a flag). I've talked to a few parents who have the iBert seats and they seem to unanimously love them, although one mother was telling me that when the kids get a bit heavier it's sometimes hard to steer (since the seat mounts on the handlebars), so at that point she either switches them to a trailer or gets a trail-a-bike.

MontrealMum
03-13-2011, 01:38 PM
What Wellyes said (although for me bike seat vs. trailer depends on where I'm biking). Also I wanted to say that it's not height or weight that makes the difference. It's spinal cord and muscle maturity. They need to be able to hold their head up with the extra weight of the helmet and also to be able to withstand the pressure to their neck, movement of their head, in an accident (especially with the extra weight of the helmet attached). (The longer you wait on this the better, obviously.) Also, with very young kids (not sure when this stops being an issue) shaken baby syndrome is a concern too. It's a bumpy ride given the faster speeds, rougher terrain, etc.

Yes, this. And that's also the reason why you won't find helmets that are small enough to fit a child younger than 1 year of age. I can't believe PP's doctor suggested that she could start biking with a child in a trailer at 9 mos. That is truly shocking to me :47: Unless they were assuming that the child wouldn't be wearing a helmet? Whether you've got your child in a trailer OR a seat on your own bike, the child should always wear a helmet, and should be at least 1 year old. The support hammock that you can get for a Chariot, for example, is for skiing, strolling, or running. Which are activities where a child can lay flat in it and doesn't wear a helmet so they are therefore not required to support that extra weight on their spinal column. In fact it specifically says on the Chariot website here (http://www.chariotcarriers.com/english/html/accessories.php?accID=2) that the sling is not to be used when cycling. Apparently that doc hasn't actually read the manual.

We have a double Chariot and love it. You have the option to move one set of straps to the middle if you've only got one child in it, or, obviously, you can put two in there as well using both sets of straps.

We have the Specialized Small Fry helmet for DS. It's one of the smaller ones out there.

bubbaray
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Part of the choice for seat vs trailer will depend on your bike too. Not all bikes are compatible with both. DH (bike nut) couldn't find a bike seat that was compatible with the bike he uses for the trailer (its his old mtn bike). He would not be able to use either a seat or a trailer with his current mtn bike.

He chose a double trailer to start with for that reason, but also because we could stuff the trailer with other items (lunch, for example). Also, when DD#1 was younger, he could have her ride her bike beside him and then stuff her bike in the back of the trailer with her sitting in the front of the trailer when she got tired. Not sure how you would do that with a seat??

WatchingThemGrow
03-13-2011, 01:52 PM
We got one for our May baby to ride in when she was turning one, but in reality, it wasn't a good thing until she was closer to 18m. She was constantly whining, crying, grunting while riding until 18m. DH kept thinking she'd get over it. Similar story with DS1. We put him in the Topeak seat instead where he was happier. Now both of them can go in the trailer and DS2 can ride in the seat. What we end up doing now, though, is letting DD(4) and DS(3) ride their bikes while DS rides in something else. This week that something else is going to be the bike trailer (Burley D'lite) with the jogging wheel on it. Apparently, the newer trailers have an indentation in the seatback for the rider's helmet to rest in so it doesn't push their heads forward.

MamaBear
03-13-2011, 01:54 PM
We have a Chariot CX2. #2 was a bit past a year when we bought it, and has only been in it a few times when it's being used as a bike trailer, at 15 months I guess. I've used it far more as a walking stroller, and sooner or later (really. I mean it. honestly, I do) I'll start running with it.

With two kids, it's definitely cosy in there! Because #2 is so tiny, I considered getting one of the supports for him, but in the end didn't. I honestly don't know how two kids could fit in if we were using a baby support. As long as the baby isn't grabbing his big brother's eyeglasses, they're both pretty happy riding in there together.

I had him fitted for a helmet at the bike store where we bought the Chariot.

MontrealMum
03-13-2011, 02:01 PM
He chose a double trailer to start with for that reason, but also because we could stuff the trailer with other items (lunch, for example). Also, when DD#1 was younger, he could have her ride her bike beside him and then stuff her bike in the back of the trailer with her sitting in the front of the trailer when she got tired. Not sure how you would do that with a seat??

We do the same thing when skiing with the Chariot...it's great :p DS' skis, all our extra warm gear that we need for what amounts to a lot of standing around while he's skiing, and snack/lunch go in there. I don't know how we're going to function again when he's proficient enough to ski an entire trail by himself!

Smillow
03-13-2011, 02:03 PM
We bought DS's helmet @Walmart - but he has an enormous head.

WatchingThemGrow
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Oh, yeah...as for putting extra stuff in it...we use it during beach week since DH will sometimes ride some DC around there, plus we use it to tote a couple kids and the Saltwater canvas bag, life vests, etc. down to the sand.

Multimama
03-13-2011, 02:11 PM
I think everyone else has pretty much covered trailer vs. bike seat territory. I just wanted to add that there are also things to consider with bike seat on the front (iBert) vs. bike seat on the back.

The seat on the front is more central on the bike so it may be easier/more comfortable to steer/control your bike than the seat on the back, especially for someone who only occasionally rides with a child. Also, there is the obvious advantage that you can talk to your kid and they can see where you are going. Many mountain bikes also can't take a seat mounted on back. (They can be a bit tricky to peddle with depending on how long your own legs are though.)

But the seats on the back do tend to provide more shell/protection for the kid and are much easier to fall asleep in. (They are also more expensive.) I also suspect older kids fit them better, but it depends how much clearance you get on your particular bike with the iBert too. Also, in an accident if you go over your handle bars etc. you are more likely to impact with your child whereas if they are on the back it is less likely that you will be an extra projectile they have to encounter in the accident.

o_mom
03-13-2011, 02:38 PM
We have both a seat and a trailer. Our seat is a rear-mounted one. I think the safety of each depends on so many factors that there is no one answer. Our biking with the kids is mainly on trails and sidepaths where you are not sharing the road with cars. Yes, there are crossings, etc., but the main reason I see people suggest a trailer is more likely to be hit is when riding *with* traffic, not crossing. Also, the seat does take some upper body strength to balance when loading/stopping/mounting, which is not an issue for DH, but is for me.

For us, it worked best to have the seat on DH's bike and when he would go with just one, use the seat. When we would take all three, I would pull the trailer and he would have one in the seat. Now that we have 1-2 big enough to ride, I pull the trailer and he has the trail-a-bike for one and the third either rides in the trailer on a long ride or on his own bike for shorter ones. Also, our youngest is too big for the seat now (both height and weight), so it isn't even an option any more, but he is not to the point where he can ride independently and even when he does, it will probably be another year before he can ride the distances we go. I think either one can be safe depending on your area and use. At some point a seat will be outgrown, but it can be useful while it fits.

Our trailer is an InStep aluminum one from Target. We paid about $35 on clearance for it, and have been very happy with it for the price. We were considering a more expensive one, but found that we didn't use it nearly as much as we thought we would because of the ages and spacing of our kids (me being pg, waiting until they were 1 yo, etc.). If we did use it more, I would consider upgrading.

artvandalay
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I live in the suburbs, and will use this in my subdivision. We have bike paths near, but they require using busy streets to get to them, so I/we will be driving to the paths. So, I won't be using this in any traffic.

When we all go as a family, DH will use the trailer, but if it's just me pulling the younger two, I'm concerned how heavy it will be to pull (I didn't really think about this until it was mentioned here).

Thanks guys.. you've given me alot to think about.

artvandalay
03-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Also, when DD#1 was younger, he could have her ride her bike beside him and then stuff her bike in the back of the trailer with her sitting in the front of the trailer when she got tired. Not sure how you would do that with a seat??

That is a really great idea...

roseyloxs
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Rosie I did just see that bikeseat you mentioned while I was looking at them on Amazon, and it got really good reviews. Do you favor it over the BJ trailer? If so, why?

Both are great. If I have to take both kids then I use the trailer. If my son wants to ride his own bike then I use the seat because its lighter and easier to ride with. I also use the trailer for jogging so it does double duty that way.

It is nearly impossible for the trailer to tip. Even if the bike falls the baby jogger attachment has a hinge so the trailer still stays upright. Its also very wide at 32.5 inches making tipping very difficult.

All in all I think the baby jogger trailer is safer but I feel confident with my bike riding abilities to use the bike seat.

Smillow
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm concerned how heavy it will be to pull (I didn't really think about this until it was mentioned here).

I think our trailer is very light - you can't tell you are pulling anything. It has 22" tires. We do only have 1 child who weighs ~30 pounds.

jerry_mishkata
03-13-2011, 10:44 PM
*I wasn't sure if I should put this in baby gear or strollers or lounge.. mods feel free to move*

Also do they make helmets for a baby this small? And what type of trailer do you recommend/or don't recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I do want something with good suspension/tires.

Thanks!

ETA: I also wanted to add: I may occasionally put my 4 year old in here, as he isn't that confident with his bike, but it seems that the trailers that I've seen have room for two children, or you can move the strap to the middle if you want to use it for one child.

Use this helmet -- it fits small infants (although would you put a baby less than 9 months old on a bike? I wouldn't.) We tried it when our DD was like 8 months old (just tried it on and it fit, LOL... and we took a picture to send to the grandparents with the huge helmet)

http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Infant-Bike-Helmet-Goose/dp/B000JINKV4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1300070284&sr=8-6

I got it for my DD when she was 9-10 months (already walking) and we rode with her either in the ergo (when sleeping) or in a Kangaroo bike seat (only flat paved roads although bikes have such large tires and suspension that I think trails would be fine if I was up for it)

Later, I also got a Bike trailer -- a simple cheap Schwinn, for one child because I was worried the 2 seater is too wide and the children are way too close together anyway to be useful. It works fine, she loves it and falls asleep in it. It is a hammocky seat, no recline. She loves it whether moving or not, just the excitement of the trailer is very big. If you don't bike a lot I would not invest in one of the nice and expensive brands -- I am sure they are expensive for a reason though.

Multimama
03-13-2011, 10:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Infant-Bike-Helmet-Goose/dp/B000JINKV4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1300070284&sr=8-6

I got it for my DD when she was 9-10 months (already walking) and we rode with her either in the ergo (when sleeping) or in a Kangaroo bike seat (only flat paved roads although bikes have such large tires and suspension that I think trails would be fine if I was up for it)

Am I reading this correctly? Did you ride on a bike with your baby in an Ergo? OP, please don't try this at home. It is incredibly dangerous to have your baby strapped to your body in the event of a bike accident. Not to mention they have no hard protection at all and the Ergo is not designed to be any kind of sport harness. I don't own an Ergo, but I know the Beco has a warning on it saying that it is only for use when walking. There is a reason.

Sorry to get worked up, but seriously??

MontrealMum
03-14-2011, 12:02 AM
...we rode with her either in the ergo (when sleeping) or in a Kangaroo bike seat (only flat paved roads although bikes have such large tires and suspension that I think trails would be fine if I was up for it)

You're joking, right? I'm sorry, but I just can't let this stand w/o comment if only for the lurkers or future readers that might come across this thread.

Avoiding bike accidents is much less about your own skill as a cyclist, but more about the skills or lack thereof of the cyclists, rollerbladers, dogwalkers, runners, and motorists around you. You do what you can in terms of helmets and using gear in the approved manner. But you can only do so much. Accidents happen. I see them every day from April to Dec. both as a cyclist, and while sitting in my office which overlooks the Trans-Canada trail. Cycling with a child in an Ergo is almost as interesting a choice as the Graco travel system rollerblading combo I've seen go by a few times. Or maybe even worse. It's a tossup as w/o a leash or braking system the Graco - and baby - could easily end up in the river if the woman were to stumble and lose her grip, but either way, neither is a good idea.

arivecchi
03-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Yowza. No, one should never use a baby carrier while biking. The Ergo manual is quite clear on that point. Not only does the baby have no head protection, you are using the baby as an air bag of sorts in a fall.

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/media/pdf/BC/BC_InstrBook_English.pdf

artvandalay
03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
OK I've decided on a trailer. We won't be using this in any sort of traffic, mostly bike trails and around the subdivision. I think a trailer will suit our needs and it will be nice to put both of the younger kids in there.

There is a Trek store right near us, my H said he thinks he saw some Schwinn trailers there (but he will find any excuse to go into that store), so I think we might head over there today or tomorrow. I have been looking at different trailers online and want one that also convers to a stroller.

artvandalay
03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
I covet the Joovy Cocoon X2. It looks so cool!! Alas, I am not a bike-rider...

Oh yeah.. It is very cool looking. Looks like it only comes in black. I would want something brighter colored so it's more visible for a trailer. Ah well, it's out of my price range, anyway;)

chays
03-14-2011, 10:29 AM
We have a Charoiot Cougar and LOVE LOVE it! We have the jogger & stroller attachments and they are AWESOME! It is simply the best STROLLER that I have ever used, not to mention an AMAZING bike trailer!

artvandalay
03-14-2011, 10:54 AM
We have a Charoiot Cougar and LOVE LOVE it! We have the jogger & stroller attachments and they are AWESOME! It is simply the best STROLLER that I have ever used, not to mention an AMAZING bike trailer!

Those are really nice looking. I like the color options. Hmm. I'd have to find one on CL.

I did some looking on CL earlier, didn't see any Chariots but found a couple of Burly's. I'll have to see what the bike store has, I'm really curious to go looking at these now.

goldenpig
03-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a single Chariot Cougar which is great, but I would love to sell it and get a Baby Jogger Pod when it comes out so I can fit both kids in it. It looks awesome!

Multimama
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a single Chariot Cougar which is great, but I would love to sell it and get a Baby Jogger Pod when it comes out so I can fit both kids in it. It looks awesome!

Why not a Cougar 2? What makes the Pod look more appealing? (Just curious. I would love to have a Chariot.)

roseyloxs
03-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Why not a Cougar 2? What makes the Pod look more appealing? (Just curious. I would love to have a Chariot.)

Price? The joovy comes with the strolling and biking attachments and costs about $100 less I think.

nefifer
04-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Anyone have a comment on these bike trailers in relation to HEIGHT of the child? They are clearly both great brands with comparable function, weight limits etc. but I have noticed the interior seat height of Chariot trailers is much greater.

DH and myself are very tall and our 16 month is consistently measuring 90+% in height and need to factor that into our choice.

Thanks for any feedback!