PDA

View Full Version : ISO 5 gallon BPA free water containers (earthquake preparedness)

Reader
03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Starting to work on my earthquake kit, and we need to store lots of water for our family of 5. I found some stackable plastic containers that claim they are non toxic but I don't think they are BPA free. Anyone have suggestions?

Every time there's an earthquake somewhere else I start feeling guilty about not having completed an emergency kit for us.

craftysierra
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
I have been on again off again looking for non plastic options and have found stainless, but they are expensive. I have bought juice in glass 1 gal containers adn refilled them. Water is my emergency prep road block.

Sierra

pb&j
03-15-2011, 01:39 PM
IMO, if you are rationing water after an earthquake, BPA is the least of your worries.

lowrioh
03-15-2011, 01:47 PM
IMO, if you are rationing water after an earthquake, BPA is the least of your worries.

:yeahthat:

LMPC
03-15-2011, 02:42 PM
:yeahthat: again.

WF sells the big 5 gallon water barrels in food grade plastic.

Penny's Pappa
03-15-2011, 04:04 PM

:yeahthat:

Anyway, I would also consider getting a water filter like the ones backpackers use. Storing water is a great idea and all, but if you run out or otherwise need more water, having a reliable filtration system on-hand will be essential. Check out Katydyn (http://www.katadyn.com/usen/) or MSR (http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/category) for more info.

Reader
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Agree that BPA is not a big concern after an earthquake, but you are supposed to rotate the water out after 6 months if you don't use it in an emergency, and I don't want to waste that water by dumping it or drink it w/BPA. I bought a BPA free Aquatainer (7 gallon, stackable) at REI for $16 that I am going to see how we like, then probably get more of those. DH just wants to get a desalinator and use ocean water, but I think that's a much more expensive option.

craftysierra
03-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Agree that BPA is not a big concern after an earthquake, but you are supposed to rotate the water out after 6 months if you don't use it in an emergency, and I don't want to waste that water by dumping it or drink it w/BPA.

I agree with this completely. I have heard a storage thought of eat what you store and store what you eat.

essnce629
03-15-2011, 05:15 PM
How about Aqua Blox water? It's emergency water in shelf-stable tetra packs with a 5 year shelf life. The even sell them on Amazon.

http://www.aquablox.com/5year.shtml

o_mom
03-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Are you opposed to any plastic? We bought 4 gal containers of drinking water at Sam's Club. They are packaged in PET (#1) which is on the 'safe' list and the package says 'BPA free' on it. They were < $5 each and have a 'best by' date two years out, but for a factory sealed package, we will probably go 5 years with it.

Are you planning on just filling the containers yourself? I would be concerned about contamination if you are storing the water long-term, or is that why you want to rotate it every 6 months?