PDA

View Full Version : Please Help...Cameleon or MB Swift?? or something else?

momtoayden
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok, this is my first post...apologies ahead of time if it is long winded...but I am confused!! and I have been researching strollers like crazy...and a very nice member of this board (whom I met contacting on CL in response to her Bugaboo Bee + she has listed) referred me here.

A little background. I am due in 8 weeks with DS #2. DS #1 will be 2yr8mo. at the time of DS2 arrival. I think I have decided against a double as I, per DH am only allowed ONE stroller this go around because we recently moved and have limited storage space. My son went through a phase some time ago where he didn't want anything to do with the stroller...but now at 2.5 wants to ride in it again (hence the ? on deciding against a double) but I think he would be just as happy on a ride on board on the back. I also plan to wear my infant if my son really needs to sit in the stroller.

When DS #1 was born we had a Bug Frog which I loved and feel the maneuverability and small footprint has spoiled me for much else that I have tried. For a travel stroller for a trip to Disney about a year ago I picked up a P3. It was great because that is when my son wanted nothing to do with the stroller so he road on the back a lot. I loved how easy it was to fold but it had nothing on the Frog in terms of ease of steering etc. My husband actually hated the P3 for that reason and wondered why I brought it any where over the Frog.

I ended up selling both the Frog and the P3 as I was going to buy a Uppababy Vista....but found it too heavy in comparison to the Frog (even making it a two part fold I liked the frog better - the air tires vs the heavy EVA foam tires) And I did not like that the footprint was longer on the Vista than the Bug.

I considered the BJCM...but not so in love for a newborn as in comparison to the bug the ride is bumpy (due to the non smooth tires)

Very very intrigued by the Uppa Cruz...but won't be out in time for my May baby.

Now the only stroller I have is one on loan from a friend, a Graco City lite or something...and it stinks!!!

I am trying to decide to either go back the bug and get a Cameleon, or am also very intrigued by the MB Swift by all the people who are so in love with them on this board...but I am not sure what will fit my needs best.

As far as price goes, I plan to pick up a used Cam on ebay or CL and already have a bug riding board for the back, a graco carseat adaptor, cup holder etc. so will not need to buy any additional accessories for it.

The MB Swift I would need to get a car seat adaptor and the Freerider (if it is coming out soon??) So cost wise I think it would be pretty comparable out of pocket on either choice.

Since this will be my only stroller for a newborn and toddler please help me choose...

I need it for walks at the park - bark, grass, gravel
Walks in the neighborhood on sidewalks
In and out of the car for errands

I know the ins and outs of a bug...ie two part fold (which as a 5'2" petite gal I don't mind - it makes it more manageable to get in and out of the car). Ease of use from car seat adaptor back to the seat

I have NO clue how the MB Swift would work for a newborn as a travel system. I see that you can use a car seat adaptor, but how does the toddler seat come off...is it something that you can easily switch between toddler seat for my son or car seat adaptor for the baby? I really hate that I cannot find anywhere to try it IRL!! How is the basket? Is it any bigger than the BJCM...cause that basket was annoying to me as far as trying to shove my diaper bag in and access. I have also read that the weight was comparable to the Bug Bee +...but I also read someone post that it was 23lb...which is not comparable to the Bug Bee +. What is the weight?

Also, assuming the Freerider will be out soon, would that be suitable for a my son at just over 2.5? it looks more narrow/but longer than other boards - but appears that you may be able to actually push the stroller pretty normally, rather than with the Cam from the side one handed (which is not hard because the thing pushes so easy)

And does anyone know if I could have the seat reclined at all for the baby and have my son still use the Freerider (because it is so long)?

Thanks for any feedback...especially ones with RL experience with using the Swift with a newborn or both strollers.

crl
03-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I had a Swift with my newborn, but am not sure I can help much. I never had the carseat adapter, just put dd in with it fully reclined and with a snuzzler. A. has used the Swift with a Valco hitchhiker so maybe she can help with the questions about a rider.

I think it is doable to have just a single, especially if you will baby wear. But I wonder about the new MB plus one for you?

I have never had a Frog, but if you were happy with it, I think I might just get another. Especially if you like the reversible feature.

Best way to check real weights on strollers, IMO is to look at Strollerqueen's reviews. Just google strollerqueen and the name od the stroller you are interested in.

Final thought, I just sold my swift because I bought a Bumbleride Indie and I like the Indie better. They are very similar strollers so if you are considering the Swift, I would look at the Indie as well.

Sorry this is so scattered, hope it helps a little.

Catherine

momtoayden
03-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Catherine
thanks for responding....didn't think your response was scatter brained! Rather I felt like my whole post was scatter brained :o)

in the time that it took my first post yesterday to be approved by the moderator my decision was sort of made for me :o) I found a 3 year old Bugaboo Cameleon in excellent shape on CL for $200!! It was a deal I could not pass up, and being that I have the accrsories I need already for the bug it pretty much sealed the deal.

swissair81
03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
I have a Swift and the carrycot that goes with it. It's very nice for walking. It's pretty lightweight, and it has a strap that holds it closed. It can also take a roller board, which your DS should be old enough to ride. However, I agree with crl that before deciding, you should take a look at the Plus one. It can be a single and a double. It comes with a carrycot insert for an infant and the second seat. In addition, it can be a single if your sone doesn't want to ride, or you can use part of it for groceries when your baby is old enough to ride in front. In fact, I'm drooling about it just writing this. I want one (and I own a Swift...and a Vista...and a MB Duo...oh forget it. ;P

momtoayden
03-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I really am intrigued by the plus one...but I emailed MB some questions and wanted to confirm release date as a site I saw says they will ship early April, and they said they had hoped it would be out early this year, but still don't have a release date.

The plus side is that I could easily unload the Cam I just scored and not loose any money if I find that it is not working...and get the Plus One or something...if it comes out anytime soon because I do think it looks really cool.

edurnemk
03-14-2011, 11:50 PM
Glad to know you chose one already. I was just going to say that if the reversible seat is important (for me it really is) go with the Cam, if not it's a tougher decision. I love the Swift, really I do, but I promised I would never buy a non-reversible stroller again (unless it's a travel stroller). That resolution has kept me from making a lot of impulse purchases ;)

roseyloxs
03-15-2011, 12:04 AM
YAY :cheerleader1: I am glad you found a cam and for a steal! By the way I am the Bee+ seller from CL. Was so nice to come across another stroller connoisseur. Was happy to exchange emails with you.

crl
03-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Glad you found a bargain!

Catherine

Multimama
03-15-2011, 04:50 AM
$200 for a cam sounds great. I'm a big fan of reversible strollers for newborns and it makes sense for you to get a cam since you already know you love it and you have all those accessories. Enjoy!