ha98ed14
03-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

smiles33
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
She is so cute and I like the bangs!

JTsMom
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
I think they look adorable just as they are. She's such a cutie!

JoyNChrist
03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I voted wrong. :( I meant to say grow them out. She's super cute either way, but I think without bangs you can see her beautiful eyes better.

ha98ed14
03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks! She certainly makes us smile. I just think her hair is so much heavier now, that it looks, well, heavy. Do you think that the bangs look heavier from December to now? I loved them then. Now, not so much.

ETA: Maybe it is because her hair is significantly darker that I feel like the bangs are heavier.

KrisM
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
DD is growing hers out. I find it a pain. They're always in her eyes now.

Your DD looks cute either way.

Melaine
03-13-2011, 08:12 PM
She is really cute! I don't think the bangs look bad at all but I think I see what you mean about them looking a bit different from before. If it were me, I would probably think about summer and what keeping them or growing them out would mean with wet hair (assuming you will do a lot of wet hair...we do). I think bangs are fun and growing them out is not that big of a deal to me, so I could go either way on this one.

Twoboos
03-13-2011, 08:14 PM
I say keep the bangs, she is ADORABLE!!!

But I think they look long, which may be why you think they look "heavy." I know when DD2's bangs get too long, they look like they are invading her whole face.

Give 'em a trim! They'll always grow back.

SkyrMommy
03-13-2011, 08:15 PM
While I think she looks adorable with bangs... she's just so cute! I think the shape of her face and her eyes will stand out more with no bangs & with bangs grown out in the summer a pony tail keeps everything out of her eyes swimming & playing!

peanut520
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
keep the bangs so cute on her!

bigpassport
03-13-2011, 08:32 PM
She is soooo adorable! I voted grow the bangs out, mostly because I think it will be less maintenance and stress in the long run (won't have to trim bangs, won't have to worry about a bad bang trim, etc). But she is so cute, she will look beautiful with or without bangs.

LMPC
03-13-2011, 09:08 PM
OMG she is ADORABLE!!!! I voted for keep the bangs, but my answer is really to do both. I think it might be good to grow some of them out, but keep some as bangs. That way it doesn't look as heavy. My favorite look is the one of her with the doodle pad. You can just clip back the bangs you plan on growing out the next time you trim. I hope I am making sense...keep the bangs but work on making them a little less heavy looking.

HIU8
03-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I voted to keep the bangs. My DD has bangs. She does not look good without them. I get them cut every 6 weeks b/c they get to be to much. As long as I get them cut ( I don't do it. I would butcher her hair) she looks fine. The heaviness goes away when they are cut.

WolfpackMom
03-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Keep them! She is flippin adorable!

Clarity
03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
I like the bangs. I voted for keeping them.

And, she's such a cutie!

JMS
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
I like the bangs and she is so cute! She's seriously like, "Mom, will you stop fussing with my hair and taking pictures!"

catsnkid
03-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Does she have an opinion on the matter at this point?

egoldber
03-13-2011, 09:46 PM
She's adorable either way, but I have to....

I voted grow the bangs out, mostly because I think it will be less maintenance and stress in the long run

:yeahthat:

I cut older DD's hair into bangs as a toddler and regretted it. I avoided it with younger DD and her hair is soooooooooo much easier to maintain. Bangs means always having to keep them trimmed to stay looking nice. And they generally look "right" for about 2 weeks before they look either slightly too long or slightly too short.

The other thing is you have to be SUPER vigilant when they cut their hair because it is really easy for them to accidentally cut too "deep" into the hair, which makes a thicker bang. This may have been what happened the last time. That happened to older DD once when she was 3 or 4 and it literally took almost a year to recover from that.

We are growing older DD's bangs out right now and it is really, really painful. So my vote is grow it out now.

MamaMolly
03-13-2011, 09:49 PM
She is so cute! I voted no bangs because I am SO over Lula's bangs. At a certain point it was like the stylist cut them halfway back on her head. So horrible. I'm having Lula grow hers out because it is such a total PITA to keep them neatly trimmed. She'll start school in the fall Bang-FREE! YAY!

jenmcadams
03-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I cut older DD's hair into bangs as a toddler and regretted it.

I'm one of those people who think bangs look cute on other kids, but for me and my DD it's easier not to have bangs. It took us a while to grow them out (she got them around age 2) and now it's so much easier not to have them. She's now had a super short (no longer than chin length) blunt bob (no ledge/wedge in back, but she does have thick hair) since she was about 5. In her grade at school it's known as the Abbie cut :) It just looks right on her and not having bangs still allows us to pull it back and out of the way for sports.

Either way, she's gorgeous, but we've found no bangs way easier...

Nooknookmom
03-13-2011, 09:55 PM
DD is growing hers out. I find it a pain. They're always in her eyes now.

Your DD looks cute either way.

Ditto here. I've been trying to grow DD's out for a couple years. Once they hit the "can't see" stage, I cave and cut them. She will not keep anything in her hair to keep them out of her eyes.

I SO want to grow them out...the rest of her hair is all the way down to her tushie.

To OP, I think you could grow her's out pretty easy. She doesn't have a huge bang, they are a fine curtain. She looks cute either way though!!!

viba424
03-13-2011, 10:06 PM
What a cute doll!!!!!! Love the bangs.

jent
03-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Bangs means always having to keep them trimmed to stay looking nice. And they generally look "right" for about 2 weeks before they look either slightly too long or slightly too short.

I think she looks adorable both ways! But, bangs are a PITA to maintain. We've been growing out DD's bangs for the past 6 months and they are pretty much down to her chin now. Yes, I have to pull them out of her face everyday, but the way DD's hair is, I would have to do something to her hair daily even when she had bangs, otherwise it was always in her face.

ha98ed14
03-13-2011, 10:53 PM
I voted to keep the bangs. My DD has bangs. She does not look good without them. I get them cut every 6 weeks b/c they get to be to much. As long as I get them cut ( I don't do it. I would butcher her hair) she looks fine. The heaviness goes away when they are cut.

You know, the pictures from today (one with the drawing and the ones where she's squinting) were AFTER I trimmed them. I totally know what you mean about having to keep them trimmed to look right. Well, this is the "look right" version for these bangs! But today was a "cave" because I was going to "grow them out", but I get so tired of her looking like such a ragamuffin. (The mismatched clothes don't help...) Grrr...

Ok, next question, if I'm gonna grow out her bangs, should I cut her hair to a chin length bob? I think she will think I am punishing her because I always tell her if she does not let me brush it, we are going to have to cut it. But if I will make the painful part go faster, I'd do it. (I think...)

LMPC
03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Ok, next question, if I'm gonna grow out her bangs, should I cut her hair to a chin length bob? I think she will think I am punishing her because I always tell her if she does not let me brush it, we are going to have to cut it. But if I will make the painful part go faster, I'd do it. (I think...)

I always think this when I am trying to get DD to sit still so I can cut her crazy long hair (wet, it's almost to her bum). But then I just spray a little extra detangler on it and go on. I love her hair and can't bring myself to cut it! For my DD, I'm not sure a bob would be any easier. Then I would have to style it or something...not my strong suit.

ha98ed14
03-13-2011, 11:20 PM
Does she have an opinion on the matter at this point?

She doesn't want her hair cut, I know that. She likes her "wong hair". (We have not mastered "L" yet.) So I think should would protest a haircut, but she also protests getting her bangs trimmed. Growing it out may actually be easier than trying to maintain the bangs. I feel like she looks like such a ragamuffin already that I dunno if I can take the growing out stage.

ha98ed14
03-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Oops. Posted in the wrong place.

bigpassport
03-13-2011, 11:24 PM
I have not BTDT, but I think having a bob might make it more difficult to grow the bangs out. When growing the bangs out, you'll likely have to use clips for a while to keep the too long bangs out of her eyes. Seems like if you leave her hair longer, it will be easier to clip her bangs back.

Katigre
03-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Here's the thing with bangs and little girls - their hairline doesn't stop growing 'downward' until elementary school. So the bang line you cut now (and that the stylist added to) will continue to get thicker and become 'more' of her head of hair.

You can check this for yourself - lift up her bangs and see if you notice wispy/new hair growth underneath.

I vote for keeping a small fringe (thin) but to grow out half of them to avoid the 'mega bang' look that so many of us had in the 1980's ;).

MamaMolly
03-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Lula cut her long beautiful hair herself. While I was nursing dolly, she got her scissors and sat in front of the mirror and cut it to the bottom of her ears on both sides. I was devistated. Horrified. It was well below her shoulders, almost waist length. The only ONLY up side is that growing out her bangs has been a lot easier now that she's sporting a bob.

That said, I personally feel that the bob is a LOT more work for me. I do NOT like her to go out looking like (as you said...were you channeling me? ;) ) a raggimuffin. When her hair is blown dry, it looks presentable most mornings and we can brush it and go. We wash her hair 2-3 times a week. BUT since she won't let me blow it dry most of the time, it makes me B.O.N.K.E.R.S. More often than not she looks unkempt and scruffy, which is so not my preference. And God in heaven help me hold my tongue and not permanently scar her when she puts on a headwrap style headband. Then it's scalped back in front and hitched up in back and I just want to scream all day long.

Oh, how I long for the days of brushing and braiding. It was so pretty. :( Oh, and we had to get rid of about 80% of her cute bows. Anything on a Pony had to go, as did most of her clips. There just wasn't enough hair to hold back any more. :( Sob.

JustMe
03-14-2011, 12:20 AM
I also think she looks darling both ways. I personally would prefer not to have to maintain the bangs as others said. With my dd, we had to have bangs until about 2 years ago as she kept growing another set in when I attempted to let them grow out.

Anyway, I do not think you have to cut it short if you want to grow out the bangs. I would just pull the bangs back or to the side as soon as you can with either a barrette or pony tail holder. You can gradually cut some of the length of her hair off but keep it on the long side and just cut it more frequently so the bangs catch up. I have no btdt with this, but I imagine when the bangs begin to become more sides of the hair, you can probably eventually get them trimmed/shaped so they blend in with the rest of the hair until they grow in completely.

In our case, we did go with a bob when we first started growing out the bangs, but that's only b/c dd wanted her hair short at that point and we both decided that a locks of love donation would be a good thing to do with her hair. I couldn't wait until it grew out, though, as I didnt think it suited her.

mommy111
03-14-2011, 12:39 AM
I am so torn. I think she looks adorable. I actually think the heavier bangs now go better with the cute cheeks and her face looks more balanced. I think from an aesthetic point of view, I would vote to keep the bangs the way they are hands down.
However, if they are bothering YOU, I would say grow 'em out. At this age, its all about the mom managing, IMHO, and less about the aesthetics. I think she will have plenty of time to be supermodel beautiful when she is 16 :)