PDA

View Full Version : What did you do for your DH's 40th birthday?

eh613c
03-14-2011, 12:05 AM
My DH will be turning 40 in June (a month after I'm due) and I want to do something special. I need to plan it now because after the baby is born, I'll be too busy and tired to do anything. I want to do something special since he's been so supportive of me and he's such an awesome dad to our DS. I'm a SAHM but I have my own savings that I can tap into. Originally I was going to get a box suite at Dodger's Stadium and invite about 20 people but it just got too expensive. Any ideas?

gatorsmom
03-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Well, on my DH's 40th birthday we planned my dad's funeral. Not the funnest day for him. But I Had bought 3, one hour flying lessons which is something he had done once and loved. I also organized a babysitter to come babysit for us overnight and then reserved a one night stay at a local bed and breakfast just for the 2 of us. He is always talking about not getting enough time alone and thought this would be nice and close if our kids or my dad needed me.

jenstring95
03-14-2011, 12:35 AM
We had friends and family over (kids and all) and ordered food from our favorite Mexican restaurant and DH's favorite cake from the bakery. We just sent out evites and said no gifts.

eh613c
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Well, on my DH's 40th birthday we planned my dad's funeral. Not the funnest day for him. But I Had bought 3, one hour flying lessons which is something he had done once and loved. I also organized a babysitter to come babysit for us overnight and then reserved a one night stay at a local bed and breakfast just for the 2 of us. He is always talking about not getting enough time alone and thought this would be nice and close if our kids or my dad needed me.

It must have been hard to plan a funeral and then celebrate a birthday. Your ideas are awesome. Thanks!

eh613c
03-14-2011, 12:51 AM
We had friends and family over (kids and all) and ordered food from our favorite Mexican restaurant and DH's favorite cake from the bakery. We just sent out evites and said no gifts.

My DH LOVES Mexican! This would be my last resort. It's casual and relaxing. I just need to make sure our place is clean!

Aishe
03-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Would he enjoy a Segway tour? My DH loved it the one time he did it.

WatchingThemGrow
03-14-2011, 07:16 AM
We did 2 things.
1) We "celebrated" on the day by having the Marks over for dinner with their families. He has 3 close friends and a brother named Mark, and he rarely gets to see them anymore.

2) We drove 3.5 hours to go skiing, and his other brother's family was going to keep the DC for the day. Unfortunately, the trip was only a there and back trip since 2 DC were up all night with ear infections. Great times!!

barkley1
03-14-2011, 07:29 AM
I got all his buddies to come over for free beer and a poker game out at the lake last summer (as a surprise). I usually give him a hard time about playing poker since we're watching our money really close, but I gave him a couple hundred dollars and said go to town, ha! I got BBQ and a keg for everyone, and a cake.

Pennylane
03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I had a surprise party for him at home with all his buddies and their wives. It was super fun and he was thrilled with it!

We also went to a really nice hotel/spa and had a couples massage then spent the night.

Ann

peanut520
03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
My DH will be turning 40 in June (a month after I'm due) and I want to do something special. I need to plan it now because after the baby is born, I'll be too busy and tired to do anything. I want to do something special since he's been so supportive of me and he's such an awesome dad to our DS. I'm a SAHM but I have my own savings that I can tap into. Originally I was going to get a box suite at Dodger's Stadium and invite about 20 people but it just got too expensive. Any ideas?

Well i did basically what you wanted to do. I surprised dh with a club box suite for the Flyers on his b-day with 15 of his closest friends. I had is fully catered with his favorites foods and drinks. I had his jersey signed by his favorite player and presented to him by some hall of fame flyers alumni in the suite. It was not cheap by any means, but it was something he was always going to remember. I even arranged that they displayed his birthday on the jumbo-tron. It wasnt as bad i expected since there was a limited number of tickets the box has, i couldnt invite the world. i was going to do dinner at fogo de chao, but it really expensive too since i would have to include family and blah blah blah... so it was only a little cheaper.

Gena
03-14-2011, 10:53 AM
DH's 40th occurred in the time between DH being notified that he was going to be laid off and his last day of work. So it was pretty hard to celebrate "Happy Birthday - you're losing your job next week and our family has no other income!" :(

We had a quiet celebration at home. I made what turned out to be the ugliest cake ever. Usually I just make cakes in a 9 x 13 pan because they are easier (and I'm a lazy baker). But it was a major milestone birthday and I wanted to do somethingspecial, so I decided to make a layer cake. Total disaster. It was uneven. It was lumpy. It cracked. And I used DH's favorite carmel frosting, which make it just look like [bleep]. I put the "4" and "0" candles on either side of the large crack in the middle. WE had a good laugh about it. It tasted good though; DH and DS loved it.

eh613c
03-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Well i did basically what you wanted to do. I surprised dh with a club box suite for the Flyers on his b-day with 15 of his closest friends. I had is fully catered with his favorites foods and drinks. I had his jersey signed by his favorite player and presented to him by some hall of fame flyers alumni in the suite. It was not cheap by any means, but it was something he was always going to remember. I even arranged that they displayed his birthday on the jumbo-tron. It wasnt as bad i expected since there was a limited number of tickets the box has, i couldnt invite the world. i was going to do dinner at fogo de chao, but it really expensive too since i would have to include family and blah blah blah... so it was only a little cheaper.

When you scheduled your club box suite, did you do through email or did you call? I tried emailing the folks at dodgers asking them for a quote but I never receive anything back. This was probably a month ago.