PDA

View Full Version : WaPo Article: Inadequate Standards for Larger Child Seats

writermama
03-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Article in today's Washington Post about Federal standards for boosters and larger weight-limit harnessed seats. The article also discusses problems in the development of an accurate crash test dummy for these child size ranges.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/13/AR2011031303926.html?wprss=rss_print

I look forward to reading what our board car seat experts have to say about the article.

writermama
03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
It bugs me that yet another article can't mention higher-weight limit harnessed seats without immediately linking it to "child obesity." It isn't until page 2 that they get around to saying anything about harnessed seats distributing crash forces more evenly, but that's only after mentioning the special-use context of older disabled children.

The article also talks about the LATCH weight limit being less than the 65 pound limit of the seats, but neglects to mention that the manufacturer instructions for the proper use of the seats has them use seatbelt attachment at higher weights, not LATCH.

For an article that complains parents are confused by standards and guidelines for car seats, it doesn't seem to clarify things at all.

I am concerned that there doesn't appear to be an accurate test dummy and that has delayed better standards for harnessed seats and boosters.

edurnemk
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
:yeahthat: I agree completely with everything you said.

I can't believe we can send spaceships to mars, but they can't make a realistic dummy.

I can't believe in 3 pages they never mention higher weight limit seats are needed because of current recommendations for ERF and harnessing as long as possible, it's not just about obesity or special needs children. Not to mention other countries have had these kind of seats for a long time (like Sweden), isn't their research valid?

And I remember very clearly that the manual said to switch from LATCH to seat belt at a given weight. Some parents may forget, but that's a misuse problem, not really due to lack of research or federal standards.

I'm not an expert or a tech, but I feel very confident having my 3 yo ride RF in his Blvd (although he's close to the limit, we have a Blvd65).

Joolsplus2
03-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I keep wondering and wondering when that better 10yo dummy will come out, they always mention it coming, but it's taking forever!
I agree with the quoted folks, David Campbell and Lorrie Walker, about the internal testing of seats being very stringent, for instance, they put the small adult female in the harnesses and put extra weight vests on the smaller dummies, to make sure the seat does more than the federal standard requires (higher weight seats have to 'not fall apart' or something with heavier dummies in them, they don't have to meet the head excursion and knee excursion numbers that smaller seats do.
And for anyone who's ever read the Swedish theory that a harnessed seat causes the head to rip forward while the body stays rigid in the harness, maybe this is where the Swedes are getting their idea...they don't have realistic dummies, either. Boosters are safe for kids 4 and up who can sit properly in them, but don't have any fear about using a harnessed seat to the full extent of it's size limits for an older kid, if that's what your kid needs (yeah, disabled... maybe they should have said 'special needs'...my 5 yo has a special need to survive a terrible crash, thank you very much!) to stay in place or you feel more comfortable with (particularly in an SUV with a higher rollover risk, frankly, I'm all about harnessing in those so you don't go roll around as much as the car).

Glad to see they quoted carseatblog.com, too :)