PDA

View Full Version : what can i do to keep my blood pressure low?

Dream
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I was at my weekly appt on Saturday, 39 weeks, my BP reading was 135/86 and my obgyn is concerned. My BP was the reason I was induced at 38 weeks with DD1 ended up in a csec. This time my obgyn is willing to let me go till 41 weeks hoping I'll go into labor on my own so I can attempt vbac. She checked, said cervix was soft but not opened yet. She also said if I dialate at least 2-3 cm she can try some meds to help labor proceed.

But all of this is provided my BP is reasonable. If I go beyond 150 I 'm supposed to call her, will probably want to do a c sec. When I checked BP yesterday night it was 145/90. Today when I woke up it was 114/84. I took the day off today to see whether some rest will keep it lower. Other than numbers, I feel fine, no headaches, double vision etc. My feet are swollen but its been like that since 3 months. Is there anything else I can do?

alirebco
03-14-2011, 02:29 PM
eat lots of protein!!

ThreeofUs
03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Rest, get your feet up, meditate. Start calling family and friends to get help so you don't have to do much. Tell work you're done.

P&PT coming your way. My BP did this, too, in both pregnancies.

scrooks
03-14-2011, 04:05 PM
I had a friend who had this problem and taking it easy really worked for her. She had three DC at the time (4 now) but I think she had her sister with her round the clock the last couple weeks to take care of them and she rested a lot. She found when she did too much her bp went up.

scriptkitten
03-14-2011, 06:08 PM
if its just PIH, then the suggestions above should help.

if it's Pre-e, there might not be a lot you can do.

in any case, its time to take it easy!!!!

good luck.

daisymommy
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Rest, get your feet up, meditate. Start calling family and friends to get help so you don't have to do much. Tell work you're done.

:yeahthat: I had high BP with baby #1 and was on bed rest until 37 weeks to avoid early delivery. It worked! Once I went off bedrest it slowly crept back up, but by the time it got worrisome again I was 40 weeks, and went into labor on my own; DS was born on his due date.

Sorry, I just looked again and saw that you are already 39 weeks. That's a good thing right?!!! So I guess I would lay low for another week, then start in with natural labor-kick-starting methods (acupressure/acupuncture, sitting in a squat method, getting friendly with DH ;)) etc.). Normally I would say lots of walking, but not if you are trying to keep your blood pressure down.

Good Luck!

Dream
03-14-2011, 10:36 PM
Thanks, my moms with me so getting rest is not difficult, only taking off from work is hard sine we don't have maternity leave but I guess its unavoidable if I want to hold on till she's ready to arrive.

Roleysmom
03-15-2011, 12:44 AM
My midwife suggested going into water up to your chest for at least 15 minutes.

Edensmum
03-15-2011, 09:52 AM
That reading is not so bad at this point but if it keeps going up then I would worry. If your dr is talking about intervening at those readings I would seek a second opinion.
Resting, eating high protein and drinking lots of water, especially with lemon juice in it can help flush your system and keep bp down.

Edensmum
03-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Lots of water, rest on your left side. I didn't realize you were that far along already, hang in there, rest, stay hydrated.

pintobean
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Besides the above suggestions, possibly cutting back on salt might help as well. Drinking lots and I mean lots of water. For example, more than 80oz a day.

Dream
03-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Resting yesterday really helped. Swelling in my feet has gone down too. I'm staying away from salt, I usually drink lot of water but I can definitely increase it more. So lemon juice helps too? I'll get on that. Anything to keep hanging till she's ready to come.

Thank you.

ThreeofUs
03-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Resting yesterday really helped. Swelling in my feet has gone down too. I'm staying away from salt, I usually drink lot of water but I can definitely increase it more. So lemon juice helps too? I'll get on that. Anything to keep hanging till she's ready to come.

Glad to see the rest helped! Hope you can get more of it....

Lemon juice has tons of vitamin C, which helps get rid of water. But, like anything, don't overdo it or you'll get yourself in trouble.

One midwife I know suggests a lemon a day juiced in a quart of water.

mmommy
03-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Acupuncture has worked for lowering my BP when I wasn't pregnant, so that might be worth a try.