PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old, un-useful books?

TwinFoxes
03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
I know there was a thread about this in the past, but I can't find it in a search. It is time to get rid of some of our old books. These are not books that anyone will buy, and I have no desire to try to sell them even if they were. (Unless you want my 1996 Lonely Planet guide to Jamaica). Is recycling them the way to go? If there's a charity that uses old books for whatever reason (literacy program maybe?) I'm happy to donate them. But I don't want to pawn my old books off on a charity that will then just have to waste time trying to recycle them. Any way, what do you all do? It's a lot of books, not just a box I'd sit on the curb.

mezzona
03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
i donate to our library.

momm
03-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Can you donate to your library? I'm a big fan of libraries.

TwinFoxes
03-14-2011, 01:25 PM
i donate to our library.

Even old travel guides and the like? Do they really want them? I really don't want to dump my problem books on someone else.

SkyrMommy
03-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Call ahead to the library and give a quick rundown of the kinds of books that you've got. If they won't accept them and many have great photographs, maybe check with the art teacher at the local schools. I know I was always looking for magazines/books to cut up for collage projects.

egoldber
03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I'll see your 1996 Lonely Planet Jamaica and raise you a 1995 Rick Steves Germany. :o

I feel your pain. I don't think the library wants these types of books. I am wkorking up the nerve to throw these types of books away and it really just about kills me.

o_mom
03-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Our library will sell used books at their book sale if they don't need it for the collection. They are always amazed at what goes, especially on bag day. At the end, they let non-profits come in and have their pick of what is left and then they recycle the remaining items (through a company that will take books). Since our curbside recycling won't take hard back books, I always donate there figuring that's the best chance of getting used or at least recycled.

Call your library and see what they would do with a donation.

bostonsmama
03-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I also like the idea of seeing if a school could use them since the art dept could use them for paper mache, collages, craft projects, etc.

ezcc
03-14-2011, 01:50 PM
freecycle or free section on craigslist? Advantage is someone will come and pick up. I think you would be surprise what people want.

egoldber
03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
My recycle company will not accept books. :(

TwinFoxes
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

Mine does, so I could easily get rid of them. It's just seems...wrong.

kristenk
03-14-2011, 02:09 PM
I vote library. I understand not wanting to transfer your problem to someone else, but they're in a much better position to judge what would be useful *to them* than you are. Our local library uses some books that are donated and offers others for sale in a pay-what-you-want area.

TwinFoxes
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
OK, so I called my closest branch, and they'll take most of the books, but I specifically asked about the travel books from the 90s (when I was footloose and fancy free!) and she said those are a little too old. But, she said it in a way where I think they actually might just take them if I brought them in. My other crappy books, they'll take as long as they're in good condition (which they are). So thanks for encouraging me to call the library to check. I can get rid of my books and not feel guilty. :)

s7714
03-14-2011, 04:02 PM
We usually just donate all our old books to our Friends of the Library program. They either sell them in their store or at their once a year bargain sale.

If the travel guide books have lots of pictures, perhaps you could donate them to a local art program or preschool to be cut up and used in art projects. Our preschool used to accept certain kinds of old magazines to use for things like that as well.

niccig
03-14-2011, 04:04 PM

You might have to take the back/front cover off and remove pages from the binding.

kijip
03-14-2011, 06:33 PM
We usually just donate all our old books to our Friends of the Library program. They either sell them in their store or at their once a year bargain sale.

:yeahthat: They are set up to get rid of the ones they can't sell and they can sell a massive number of books I thought were useless. People will buy the strangest things in the right context.

elliput
03-14-2011, 06:43 PM
Check if there is an American Association of University Women (AAUW) (http://www.aauw.org/index.cfm) chapter in your area which has a yearly used book sale. They will take just about anything.

mezzona
03-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Even old travel guides and the like? Do they really want them? I really don't want to dump my problem books on someone else.

yeah.. they sell what they dont keep, and that goes back to library. what you may think is useless may be that gem someone else has been looking for. you just never know! anyway i figure the library peeps know what best to do with useless books... or ask them, cant hurt?

kristac
03-14-2011, 07:07 PM
kids might be able to use the travel books if they have nice pictures for research projects on various countries. I would try the library or your local elementary/ middle schools.

MamaKath
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
If they have pictures in them you can let kids cut them up, use a sticker maker to make stickers out of the pages, use them for crafts, etc.